Life in the tree..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tended to stay up in the tree right to the bitter end of the job... then I realized I was doing myself no favours, not eating or drinking enough.
Now I take two big bottles of gatorade, and water and take a lunch break if its an all day affair. You HAVE to feed your body, and your brain! electrolytes, some protein, carbohydrates. Gatorade, a sandwich with fish or meat, bananas, plain potato chips.
A break gives you time to relax and get a fresh perspective, something that might have been giving you fits before lunch, goes smoothly after!
As for the pee thing, if you hold it that long you are actually retaining the poisons your body wants to eliminate, if you don't feel the need to pee than you are probably dehydrating.

Keep posting!!!

The fear never goes away, you just spent less energy worring about what can go wrong when you begin to trust yourself and your equipment to work/hold right..

I had a customer say, "I don't know how you guys do it, being way up there...how do you get over the fear of being up there without holding onto the tree or rope?"

I told him, "I never 'get over the fear', I just trust my equipment and keep my mind on what I have to do."

I had a customer say, "I don't know how you guys do it, being way up there...how do you get over the fear of being up there without holding onto the tree or rope?"

I told him, "I never 'get over the fear', I just trust my equipment and keep my mind on what I have to do."

amen to that

There isnt a day that goes by, especially climbing, that I dont either sit back in my belt or lean back in the bucket and say....why am I doing this? Is my life worth this tree? And then I do what I was just questioning. Everything turns out OK and now that is a new envelope that I know the limits havent been pushed on. I have had some close calls though, and then I know where the limits are.

I dont think you ever get over the fact that everytime you get in a tree, it could be your last....I know I never will.

Walmart has a nice selection of alumnum water bottles in the camping section most have a lid with a junk biner on them just replace with a good utilty carabiner and your set, nothing like taking a nice sip of water. when its empty throw it down and have it refilled' and never stay in a tree that long it's not worth it. like someone else said come down and refuel your body

Don't forget to hydrate in the WINTER too. You can get just as dehydrated as in summer. I'll go through anywhere from a gallon to a gallon and half on a hot day. That's just doing landscape work never mind climbing all day.

If you just drink water your body will be leached and in consequence of that you have muscle cramp and headache. I always carry a little bottle with sea salt and take a little taste when i drink my water. As long as it taste good, your body needs it. A long day in the tee needs you to be clear in your head.

Michael
(Sorry for my spelling, I'm Swedish you know)

Welcome to AS Micke. I understood you just fine. Thanks for taking the time to post. I have been getting sick of Gatoraide, i think i will try your sea salt trick.

As for clear pee, i think that it can also be caused by a lack of electrolites; meaning that you have used up all the salt in your body. For me this causes the urge to urinate, it feels as though my body can't use the water i've been taking in and so decides to flush it.

I don't do anything when i have to pee, except go and find a nice shady, secluded spot at which i can relieve myself. Anything that takes the mind off of the task at hand must be eliminated.

Go climb up a skinny tree, tie in and come down. Now that you are on the ground try and break the tie in point, or the rope and saddle. Get some help if there are a few groundies standing around. The sooner you learn just how strong this gear is the easier it will be for you to learn the rest.

Climb safe.

I would be a little careful about the salt intake. Especially if you have high blood pressure. Many years ago salt tablets was big thing but they that practiced has been dropped. Most people have enough salt intake through their usual diet. Pee should be clear if the person is staying hydrated. The water enables the kidneys to work. Any sports drinks are ok but usually is not needed. When I working I usually switch between water and some sports drink. Since I am from Okla it is really hard to drink GATORAID!!!!

hydration

I don't drink coffee on days I know I'll be in the tree a while.
For me, coffee is worse than beer, 2 cups of p for every cup I drink.
That goes for soda too. (Diaretics) From what I understand, drinks w/caffeine will dehydrate rather than hydrate.

Where to go on those city jobs w/no back yards trees to hide behind.....there's always the chip truck.

I don't drink coffee on days I know I'll be in the tree a while.
For me, coffee is worse than beer, 2 cups of p for every cup I drink.
That goes for soda too. (Diaretics) From what I understand, drinks w/caffeine will dehydrate rather than hydrate.

Where to go on those city jobs w/no back yards trees to hide behind.....there's always the chip truck.

Great point about coffee. I am also a heavy coffee drinker and tend to drip with sweat. About six months ago, I quit drinking coffee for 3 months. The biggest change that I noticed was a 90% reduction in the amout that I sweated.

Nalgene bottles work great. They can be clipped with a biner on your saddle or easily tied on your rope and pulled up. The best part is that they're virtually unbreakable. The one I've using for the last year or so has been launched, run over (on grass) and been pounded on by falling wood. And the type of plastic is more resiliant to bacteria but you should probably wash it out more often than I do.

oh ya,,,i can remember a few climbs myself that i needed water bad,,,especially trimming a pin oak(quercus palustris),,,dang those dead scratching limbs,,,climbing next to another climber with a gatorpack and he wouldnt even rope me over his water,,i bought one and love it

did you know "pin oak" is used to identify a couple oak species, Quercus nuttallii, & Quercus phellos.

I just thought Id post this so those who think their on top of their game & better than everyone else will know even a non- certified tree man can provide knowledge(sometimes,still learning though)

LXT................

did you know "pin oak" is used to identify a couple oak species, Quercus nuttallii, & Quercus phellos.

I just thought Id post this so those who think their on top of their game & better than everyone else will know even a non- certified tree man can provide knowledge(sometimes,still learning though)

LXT................
you are comletely wrong there NON- CERTIFIED TREE BUTCHER,,,quercus phellos is commonly called a willow oak,,,quercus nuttallii is commonly called a nuttall oak also known as quercus texana!!!!! and quercus palustris is commonly called a PIN OAK

Last edited:
you are comletely wrong there NON- CERTIFIED TREE BUTCHER,,,quercus phellos is commonly called a willow oak,,,quercus nuttallii is commonly called a nuttall oak also known as quercus texana!!!!! and quercus palustris is commonly called a PIN OAK

I guess the National Audobon Society is wrong according to you!!! maybe with all your wisdom & intellect you should re-write their Field Guide To Trees!!! Awe that would require writing skills!!! you only have BOOK skills!!!

"Pin Oak" common name is used in different regions to describe more than just "quercus palustris" so you are the one who is Completely Wrong!!!

uh oh the second grade class is reporting to forest ranger jrparbor04, please bring your gatorpacks, you will be touring a section of the park that ranger jrparbor has cleaned( the outhouses) enjoy your tour.

LXT.......................

I guess the National Audobon Society is wrong according to you!!! maybe with all your wisdom & intellect you should re-write their Field Guide To Trees!!! Awe that would require writing skills!!! you only have BOOK skills!!!

"Pin Oak" common name is used in different regions to describe more than just "quercus palustris" so you are the one who is Completely Wrong!!!

uh oh the second grade class is reporting to forest ranger jrparbor04, please bring your gatorpacks, you will be touring a section of the park that ranger jrparbor has cleaned( the outhouses) enjoy your tour.

LXT.......................
i will stand with my posts and they are correct,,,

Who cares what the latin name is. To be honest, it always seem the boys who have the book smarts like to trot out their knowledge by using the latin names whereas the men who will actually be doing the work will just call it a pin oak and be done with it. Heck, the outfit i work with, you start spouting off latin names and you'd probably get your ass kicked-"you're in america, speak english!!":laugh:

Jrparbor-you still haven't answered my question from another thread. You say you have nice credentials, but how long have you actually been doing treework?

knowledge of species by scientific name is important because each is different. If you trim a Q. palustris like you do a Q phellos you may screw it up.

jparbor, your efforts to assign one "correct" common name per species is futile--drop it, man. When you know more, you will know that you know less.

:popcorn:

very well said treeseer, it seems the longer im in this biz, the more I realize that I dont know squat!!(just scratchin the surface) but always willing to learn.

Beowulf, I have to agree with you in some respects too, I know guys that would think Quercus is a type of STD & when I told them what it meant they would probably smack me & say its a F@#$ing OAK Tree.

too each their own!!!

Take care, Be Safe.

LXT................

Latest posts

Back