life insurance for tree men

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I guess the fact remains that a 'claim' can be denied based on anything the insurer wants to base it on. After all, they're not in the business to shell out payment. They're in the business to take in premiums, show a profit, build a business and please the shareholders.

I consider driving 70 mph along side other drivers who may be inexperienced, elderly, falling asleep, texting, drunk or distracted more dangerous than climbing up a tree, but that's a moot point and has nothing to do with anything. We all live dangerous and risky lives, regardless of our profession. An accident is an accident regardless of where it happens and you never know when tragedy will strike. Hence, the reason for my having bought life insurance. It's not about my profession. It's about life in general.

If an insurer wants to deny a claim, they have the incentive and lawyer power to do so, using whatever reasoning they want. This is a sad fact and is probably why TreeCo won't ever buy life insurance. I can see the smarts in that. I feel kind of helpless, having heard the news reports of a long-standing insured persons being dishonored by the insurer in their moment of need, left hanging with little more than a 'sorry, but no.'

We appreciate your contribution, Ashburg. Can you share more of your experienced insight? Is there anything we should really know in making these decisions?

Yes, TM, it is unfortunate that some people get denied - but in all fairness lets back up and consider:

If you did not disclose tree work in the application process, then the insurance company assumes that you are as benign of a risk as someone who works in an office and they do not collect from you the higher premiums that they would need to collect to cover that kind of risk pool.

It very well may be that TreeCo doesn't want to incur the expense of life (or disability) policies, but perhaps if they were to set aside a fund with those would-be premium dollars, it would be of benefit;

Consider that the higher amount of premium that you would be charged is going to be invested by the company so they can show a profit and retain earnings - what if you did the same thing with that $$ - take that would-be premium and save/invest in a disciplined way...after all, if the company does approve you, albeit at a higher premium, they have essentially decided that you are going to live "x" amount of years and they feel comfortable knowing that they amount of $$ they collect from you (plus interest) over those years will more than cover any claims (and they still show a profit).

Point being: take those would-be premium dollars and save it or invest it on your own in lieu of purchasing a life policy IF you are buying that policy for the purpose of passing on money to heirs or for final expenses. This is akin to a Whole Life Policy or a Universal Life Policy (permanent coverage).

Alternately, if you need to be covered for, say, a mortgage for a TERM period of time, say, 15 years, then purchasing a 15 year term policy instead of saving on your own might be the better plan.

If you ever quit climbing, no problemo - you could get a life policy for alot cheaper price and be covered for the usual happy stuff like cancer, diabetes, heart disease, car accidents, etc...

...off to play in the snow - we got EIGHT whole inches here in SC, which is totally foreign to us. I spotted 3 trees down too and plan to bid on them soon :)

regards,
ash

Hello Tree man,

I have one of the best solution for your life insurance. Use Free instant Online life insurance quotes and take step in to your financial planing. Life Insurance Quote helps and save big money.

Thanks,
Mark Janet
--------------------------------------------
“Do today what you want for your tomorrows”

Too funny, a troll selling life insurance on Arborist 101 :dizzy:

Hey Ash, great savings plan. But if life ins cost 750 per year it would take give or take 15yrs of savings to be able to bury me with funeral expense averaging 10-15k.
Funny that in most states it's illegal to have unorganized gambling (just because the feds and state what there piece of the pie) but isn't life ins just a gamble? Let's face it after 15-20yrs of high risk work, we hopefully will be moving into a less risk category like ownership and letting the young ones take over the really risky stuff. So if the "big limb" comes and gets me before I have enough saved maybe wife will only get to bury half of me. Wonder which end will be up?:confused:

So if the "big limb" comes and gets me before I have enough saved maybe wife will only get to bury half of me. Wonder which end will be up?:confused:

..until lately(kid on the way) i just figured I would save up all the good pieces of wood I can and build a hell-of-a funeral pyre...go out in style ya know! now it is turnin' into a different story but, I am still lookin for style points!
:cheers:

Never climb, hopefully never will...but with my position, life insurance is not an option...yes, I have a son and raise him on my own...if I go, have to take care of him. I don't make much, but a small part of what I do bring in goes for something that he can use regardless of tomorrow or after the tricentenial...not all life insurance is the same...so get the real deal...not the bargain.

I'd like to see the look on the agents face who had a treeman come in and tell him that he was looking for life insurance... And then says "I smoke two packs a day, drink two gallons of whiskey a week and spend everyday 60' or better in the air"...

Now that would be priceless... :greenchainsaw:

I'd like to see the look on the agents face who had a treeman come in and tell him that he was looking for life insurance... And then says "I smoke two packs a day, drink two gallons of whiskey a week and spend everyday 60' or better in the air"...

OH HE'D PUT A PRICE ON IT! :taped:

Actually, that would be a decline across the board except for "guaranteed issue", which is wayyy expensive - you might as well put the premium dollars in the bank :)

Their body language would say it all...priceless as you say :)

RE :life insurance for tree men

For village elders please try free instant Online life insurance quotes and take step in to your financial planing. For more information about life insurance quote.

Thanks,
---------------------------------------------------------
“The most life-destroying word of all is the word tomorrow”

Actually, that would be a decline across the board except for "guaranteed issue", which is wayyy expensive - you might as well put the premium dollars in the bank :)

Hey ashburg, I got your private message awhile back but accidentally deleted it before I answered. Had to make room. I've got 9 years worth of contacts and numbers stored in there so it gets a little crowded. I can't remember what you asked but if you want to send me another message I will do my best to answer your question and not delete it this time. :D

If I'm not mistaken TM, our friend Ashburg was interested in purchasing a saddle (one of mine and your favorite topics to discuss :)). He posted a question in the open forum but did not get a lot of responses.

If I'm not mistaken TM, our friend Ashburg was interested in purchasing a saddle (one of mine and your favorite topics to discuss :)). He posted a question in the open forum but did not get a lot of responses.

Bought the one hanging on the wall at the local power equipment supply store - put it on with a set of $300 spikes (and about $500 worth of other stuff like lanyards, etc), ........

....and chickened out 10 feet up LOL

hats off guys, you're braver than I am.

I'll be subbin' trees out as usual this year :)

Back to the lawn maintenance and life insurance brokerage (which is still lagging with the economy :)

My lawn care service company is actually doing quite well though...although I do get alot of inquiries where they want you to do their dirty work (pulling up roots, weeding out blackberry vines and poison oak out of their azaleas, digging up stumps LOL love that one, etc...all in all, all is well.

ash

It isn't for everyone but then again, neither is lawn maintenance or insurance brokerage...

To tell the truth, I would be concerned with anyone trying to learn tree removal on their own. Climbing for fun or with a handsaw is one thing, trying to do a large removal with a chainsaw and no hands on experience or apprenticeship is quite another. I cringe when I read about some of these guys trying to do a large removal going off of what they have read and learned on the internet.

ashburg said:
My lawn care service company is actually doing quite well though...although I do get alot of inquiries where they want you to do their dirty work (pulling up roots, weeding out blackberry vines and poison oak out of their azaleas, digging up stumps LOL love that one, etc...all in all, all is well.

ash

Sounds like you need to return the spikes and get yourself a weedwrench. Now that tool will pay itself off in short order and keep on giving and giving and giving. From your short description of what you do in your grounds service, this tool could become a superstar. Makes the 'dirty work' of pulling things out by the roots.... entertaining. I mean it. And lucrative. I wouldn't kid about something as important as your income.

I'm not sure I could have helped you with the saddle choice.

Latest posts

Back