Life of a Saw????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drive_1305

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
I would like to ask you pro users who rack up the hours fast on a saw how much life can you get out of a saw, how often can you rebuild it before its not practical to rebuild it again? In one post a guy said you can usually put one ring job in a saw before the cylinder and piston is gone. Then how many times can you replace the cylinder an piston before the bottom end is gone? I would think it wouldn't be practical to rebuild both the top end and bottom-it would cost too much. I would think too on a bigger, more expensive saw it would be more practical to rebuild it than on a smaller one. Also when you rack up the hours fast I would think you have less trouble with rubber parts dry rotting and such. Do most you pros rebuild yourself or let a shop do it? Im thinking they can rebuild one fast so labor might not be so bad.

Just curious. Thanks!

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
On a pro saw, like a 44 or 46, you can typically get two top end rebuilds for one bottom. The first can usually just be a piston, and the second often requires a cylinder also. Don't bother with just rings - if they are worn out usually the piston is tapered and slapping. The trick is to rebuild the bottom end BEFORE it fails... so if you are on your second piston or cylinder, just replace the main bearings anyhow.

This all depends on if it "wears out" or gets "lean seized" or "lean burned"... Not overheating the saw, idling it down after heavy use and looking after the gas and air filters can leave your cylinders in great shape for years... Start burning up the piston and a bunch of the aluminum and carbon crud gets in your mains and it all downhill..

They other way is to sell it at the half life.. before it needs a rebuild. Put this money towards a new saw and you may be ahead.

Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have worked 235 days falling timber this year with MS660's and am on my second saw. I don't rebuild anything. When I feel that my saw has lost the power that I need - then I sell it. I get around $400 for my used saws. Which for a woodcutter still has tons of life. All of my saws are modified when I buy them.