Lifespan of a saw engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no saws that I bought new.. and none of them have high hours. I am careful to clean the air cleaner and saw even on a 35cc homeowner special.

I am just a homeowner, not a pro... but i like using pro saws and the power they provide. Dont know the reasoning of having ten or 20 saws unless your just collecting.. any more than five in my opinion and your not running the saws enough to keep them around.

I am guessing 2 or 3 hours a day of revenue time on a chainsaw is average for professionals.. but if you carry 6 saws on your truck your still only getting 2 or 3 hours a day.

The electronic autotune saws may wake folks up when they can see actual hours per year.. it will be far lower than people think.

If you can really get a few thousand hours out of a chainsaw engine without a rebuild, that is really amazing. It's typical for an aircooled 4-stroke engine in a small tractor to be getting tired at that many hours.

The life span of a saw has little to do with how long will a saw run under ideal conditions. I fail to see a point. I like clone saws and older rebuilt saws because they are the most reliable. Having a running saw when a batch of logs comes up that matches the size for size is priceless. After such job is completed throwing the saw away and starting over is some times the way I look at it. Every body know that there is a high likeliness a climbing saw will fall a falling will get pinched or a production saw will get crushed by a tractor. Thanks

The life span of a saw has little to do with how long will a saw run under ideal conditions. I fail to see a point. I like clone saws and older rebuilt saws because they are the most reliable. Having a running saw when a batch of logs comes up that matches the size for size is priceless. After such job is completed throwing the saw away and starting over is some times the way I look at it. Every body know that there is a high likeliness a climbing saw will fall a falling will get pinched or a production saw will get crushed by a tractor. Thanks
20200201_162821.jpg

Twelve year old thread indeed. It is tax time and I'm not a full timer, just an ole' timer. This saw and another went through 50 gallons of fuel this year and this one did the bulk of the work. I keep up with my expenses and time.

1995 046 magnum full oem except for piston and only had to change piston because it had a intake flange nut inside the case that broke the piston skirt. Dont know the hours on it but its been getting weekly use since i got it.20200124_200158.jpg

Stihl 661 cm computer data:

1,010 hrs, started 12,*** some times, etc, died.

replace with a new saw.

I find the 660’s to be more reliable but none have hour meters to prove it. :(

I got mine used and it’s well used looking.

How does doing a drop start harm the saw in any way. ??
It doesn’t. I have two 100CC super 1050’s with no decomp. My Dad bought them new in the early mid 70’s. I’m 64 and still drop start them. I like the idea of all that weight falling away from me helping to crank it over.

Back