Lightest 18" 3/8 Bar for 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunfish

Fish Head
Reaction score
I want to get a 18" 3/8 .058 bar for my newer stock 346xp. My old 45cc ported 346xp will likely stay .325. But we'll see how this goes.

I have a Sugi Hara on a 357xp and it's not so light in this size. Want a laminated bar, unless there is a light solid bar out there.

Was thinking Oregon Pro Lite, but remember reading here it's not so light.

Would really like to see Husky offer the Tech-Lite in small mount!

How bout Total? Anything there that's kind of small and light weight?

I want to get a 18" 3/8 .058 bar for my newer stock 346xp.

WHAT!?!?!?!? :msp_scared:

LOL, J/K Don. I been running a 20'' Oregon pro lite on my 346 since I ported it. Seems to do good... still a little end heavy. 18 would probably be better though.

The only thing I like better about .325 is the weight. Can't have everything ya want though :msp_biggrin:.

Thanks, Who makes that bar?

It used to be Windsor - but I am not sure it still is made....

Anyway, it is a compact RSN bar - not what you want!

As it is right now, I doubt there are anything lighter than the Pro-Lite out there.

Last edited:
WHAT!?!?!?!? :msp_scared:

LOL, J/K Don. I been running a 20'' Oregon pro lite on my 346 since I ported it. Seems to do good... still a little end heavy. 18 would probably be better though.

The only thing I like better about .325 is the weight. Can't have everything ya want though :msp_biggrin:.

Yeah man , finally going to try 3/8 on a 346. Figured I'd start with the lightest I can find.

Thanks guys!

Practical way is to go is .325 on the newer 346xp to keep the chain the same as the OE 346xp? I'm sure you can choose to go up to 20" on the newer saw without problems. Total bars are heavy. Ultimately physical fitness is key, then the weight of the bar doesn't matter....................

I just always felt a bit of drop in power on any saw below 60cc using a 3/8ths chain. Even though that is my preference if it was as fast. Also the increase in weight seemed to defeat the purpose of a lightweight 50cc saw.
So I live with compromise on the 550XP Ported saw. .325 lighter, quicker but certainly not as durable and sharpening ALL those extra teeth makes me wish for 3/8ths!

Subscribed for a great solution...hopefully!

I like .325 and don't have a problem with it, but have heard too many times from too may folks that 3/8 is faster on the 346. Gotta try it !

I can handle the extra weight, but why add a heavy bar if a lighter one is available. :msp_wink:

50cc Husqvarna can handle an 18" 3/8 bar easily. .050 gauge would be a little easier for the saw to handle. Recommend Total, Sugi hara or any high end bar for longevity. Pro lite wouldn't last as long and may weigh about the same as the aforementioned brands. The 346OE needs to stay .325 up to 18"

If you could find a Norwegian made Husky bar in 3/8 18" it would be lighter than the Pro-Lite, but I have only seen 15" and 16" ones of that kind in 3/8"....

50cc Husqvarna can handle an 18" 3/8 bar easily. .050 gauge would be a little easier for the saw to handle. Recommend Total, Sugi hara or any high end bar for longevity. Pro lite wouldn't last as long and may weigh about the same as the aforementioned brands. The 346OE needs to stay .325 up to 18"
Yes, I know. I've run a couple 346s' with 3/8 and one 20". They pulled it fine. I have a 18" 3/8 .050 Sugi on the 357xp, but it's larger and heavier than I want on a 346. Just looking for the lightest 3/8.

If you could find a Norwegian made Husky bar in 3/8 18" it would be lighter than the Pro-Lite, but I have only seen 15" and 16" ones of that kind in 3/8"....

Yes my friend, I do like the Norwegian bars. My old 346 came with one and it's still in good shape. I'll look around for one in 3/8. Might even go with a 16".

Replying just to be subbed to the thread. Why aren't there more options for light bars in 18 & 20 inch?

First of all, I realize that results will and do vary from saw to saw and setup to setup. I also understand liking all of your saws running the same chain. However, for you guys that don't like .325 chain, what kind are you running? Like I mentioned before, I run Stihl RSC almost exclusively. There's nothing undurable or slow about it. I have multiple videos showing it out performing 3/8 RSC.

Last edited:
First of all, I realize that results will and do vary from saw to saw and setup to setup. I also understand liking all of your saws running the same chain. However, for you guys that don't like .325 chain, what kind are you running? Like I mentioned before, I run Stihl RSC almost exclusively. There's nothing undurable or slow about it. I have multiple videos showing it out performing 3/8 RSC.

I like .325 and have been running it since 2001 on the old 346, and the newer one for over 2 years. Mostly Stihl RMC & RSC and Oregon.

But too many here say 3/8 is faster, so I gotta try it long term. :msp_smile:

Back