Lightweight chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubpilot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in need of a lightweight chainsaw for dirtbike trail building. I figure on mounting it to a bar press on the number plate of my KTM, so I want to keep things as small and light as possible, but it will live a rough life so something cheap would be good too. It will mainly be used to cut limbs, but the odd small tree might need to be cut too.
I have looked at the small Echo top handle saws and they seem ideal, but their rear handle saws are a lot cheaper and would work too. I would like something cheap like a Poulan, they just seem too heavy. A pole saw without the length of the pole would work great if someone actually makes such a beast.
Any help would be appreciated.

the 562xp w/ 20" techlite bar that I looked at the last time I was in town was absurdly light IMHO.....

I started a similar thread last week.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/234180.htm

I ordered a dolmar PS-32 (would have like the PS-35 but not out yet) for $199.95 delivered. It has not gotten here yet but will be glad to let you know what I think when it comes in. It sured seemed to have a lot of features that were important for me and at a good price.

Husky 435 refurbs can be had for $175 delivered off ebay, but for a new saw and the features the dolmar seemed like a better deal.

This subject comes up a couple times a week, a quick search and you would have found your answer.

Go buy an overpriced plastic POS and have done with it.

The quake 3816 has fit the bill for me for just as you described.

Even use it for firewood, It's my most used saw, and hasn't let me down yet. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Probably a top handle would fit best, maybe a MiniMac would make sense. Otherwise an Earthquake.

You're going to need something to mount it in:

avr_flowbask_10_m.jpg

Last edited:
oh no...those are to be saved for when we are taking the big dirt nap. Throw it in the pine box and you will have something to work on for all eternity...:msp_tongue:

A poulan micro or Remington mity mite....better choice and far easier to work on....

The ones I have that run are dead reliable, the ones that don't well....have made it into a pile. The Poulan micros are also a great choice. Top handle saws are dangerous, I recommend only being used by a seasoned cutter, might be best to get a rear handle saw.

I like the 435 referb, mounted it on the quad, its 9 lbs PHO, one of husqy's lightest. Ive been happy with it, got it for $139 shipped to my door

a cheap light reliable saw would be Stihl MS170 ... Stihl calls it an occasional use chainsaw. but that doesn't prevent folks like Asplundh here in Tulsa, using MS170 as their production climbing saw.

Stihl MS 170 (16 in. Bar : $179.99)
ms170300x117.png

if cost was no object ... you need one each of these
24935d1121029270-p7100116-jpg

Last edited:
how you mount the saw to prevent it from getting destroyed will be much more important than which saw.

I hate it when people do this, and I have given others crap when they have done it... but in this case it might make sense....
You might be better off with a good pruning saw like a Silky. Or a good bowsaw and a good light hatchet.

The only reason I say that is I just can't see how to mount a saw on a dirtbike in a way that won't bang the daylights out of the saw. Any small light saw has lots of plastic on it that is going to take a beating and get cracked up. It's bad enough keeping a saw on a quad rack where it can be secured much better and a trail bike id going to be much worse.

A top handle in a backpack might work.

Back