Like new Stihl 024 with "Topic Micro" chain....Wow!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckydiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanksgiving evening, my Grandfather gave me his 024 AV "Wood Boss" which he had bought new in Nov. of '87 (still has the receipt along with owners manual, chain manual, bar and chain guide, and brochure). He had taken GREAT care of this saw, and must have not used it too much, because it's in pristine shape. I remember the case always being in the wagon behind his tractor, but only saw him use the saw here and there.

On Friday morning I started going through the many (new) chains that he had for the saw, but was a bit disappointed to find they were all a type of anti-kickback chain called "Topic Micro"...low profile semi-chisel cutter with a strange looking anti-kickback tie strap.
This weekend I went to cut a bunch of very hard-dry 12"+ oak with it...WOW...I'm still surprised!!! When I went to put the saw into the first cut, I was expecting very poor performance due to the "safety chain". It was the complete opposite...it ate like crazy! I liked it easily as well as any of the Stihl 3/8 Full Chisel I've been using recently...and less vibration.

Anyone ever use any of this "Topic" chain? As I understand, it was discontinued in the 90's. Anyone know what took it's place? Luckily I have enough spare chains to last me a while...but I'd like to figure out why this chain works so well for what it is and keep using something similar in the future.

Thanks,
Phillip

All the safety chains i got roped into owning, I never threw them away. I just take the safety rakers down some and use them up. I don't go out and buy new safety chains though.

Low profile chain can work very well on some smaller saws. Semi chisel chain does better in dead wood than chisel. But i always buy chisel in new chain.

I hand file only.

Honestly, the safety rakers shouldn't make much difference when cutting along the length of the bar. They really only come into effect when rotating around the tip of the bar nose. So plunging and bore cutting would definitely suck. But most homeowners and firewood cutters rarely (if ever) need to do that.

Honestly, the safety rakers shouldn't make much difference when cutting along the length of the bar. They really only come into effect when rotating around the tip of the bar nose. So plunging and bore cutting would definitely suck. But most homeowners and firewood cutters rarely (if ever) need to do that.

Are you calling a ramped drive link a safety raker ?

Topic Micro was actually pretty good chain and it's from an era when saw companies really invested in making high quality chain. There was also Rapid Micro, which was the chisel version, and that stuff in .325" pitch is very desirable chain.

Here are some pics. It's still a bit dirty from me cutting firewood with it.
DSC07698.jpg

DSC07699.jpg

DSC07700.jpg

DSC07701.jpg

DSC07702.jpg

-Phillip

Oh,
Notice that this 024 is set up with two bar nuts/studs...and this is how it was since new. The 1986 brochure shows the 024AVSEQ with one bar nut. Not sure if it makes a difference, but this saw says it was made in Virginia Beach.

-Phillip

Topic Micro was actually pretty good chain and it's from an era when saw companies really invested in making high quality chain. There was also Rapid Micro, which was the chisel version, and that stuff in .325" pitch is very desirable chain.

Actually, I have the book right here which says the Rapid Micro was a semi-chisel.
I did find out that one of the chains I have is a Topic Super, which was the chisel version of the Topic Micro...with no anti-kickback tie straps. I threw it on the saw today to cut up a hard, dead 24"+ tree...it ate it up.

-Phillip

I know it maybe has some sentimental value but that saw looks like it has had a pretty hard life and is most likely worn out internally. How about I give you $100 and pay the shipping and then you can put the money towards a decent saw?

Actually, I have the book right here which says the Rapid Micro was a semi-chisel.
I did find out that one of the chains I have is a Topic Super, which was the chisel version of the Topic Micro...with no anti-kickback tie straps. I threw it on the saw today to cut up a hard, dead 24"+ tree...it ate it up.

-Phillip

Yes, that's right, I had them mixed up. The Topic Super in .325" is some of the finest .325" chain ever made. We had four NOS 25' rolls in our shop when I went to work there in 2000 and a tree service company came in and offered us $200 for each roll and they bought all four. A 25' roll at that time normally sold for about $60. Rapid Micro was still good chain though.

I know it maybe has some sentimental value but that saw looks like it has had a pretty hard life and is most likely worn out internally. How about I give you $100 and pay the shipping and then you can put the money towards a decent saw?

I appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't want to burden you with the future problems this saw is sure to have. :p

-Phillip

Thanksgiving evening, my Grandfather gave me his 024 AV "Wood Boss" which he had bought new in Nov. of '87

Phillip,

I just acquired a well cared for 024 AV Super with the electronic quickstop. Looks very similar in the same case. Might be a slightly different model (e.g. not 'Wood Boss', has 'Super' designation). Please let me know if you come across any electronic copies of manuals for the saw.

Philip (with one 'L') aka 'Philbert'

Last edited:

I have the same saw and love it. It is going to get a new piston very soon. It just came in! I thought mine was in good shape but yours looks even cleaner.

Latest posts

Back