lilac Firewood no splitter needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect timing! I just picked up a small pile of lilac today and was wondering the same thing.
It's dense and hard, for sure. I'm thinking similar to the fruitwoods?

I have a big lilac in my yard, and its looking pretty sick with the drought we are in right now, its right on the bank of the yard, I know it has to be bone dry. I may have to cut it up and try some this winter. I've always just burnt it as brush.

I've burnt it before. It seemed to take a long time to dry, and like mentioned above it burns like fruitwood. I only took the stuff 2-5 inches and didn't split any of it. It was a lot of cutting and brushing for a little wood.

I've burnt it before. It seemed to take a long time to dry, and like mentioned above it burns like fruitwood. I only took the stuff 2-5 inches and didn't split any of it. It was a lot of cutting and brushing for a little wood.

Sounds good,

I picked a job with possibly 1/2 mile of the stuff that’s not been cut for 20 years or more.
They want it all removed.

I was thinking for a 20 year growth and only the size of my wrist and forearm it should be some ok wood.

Rather then push it up into a pile and burn, I could push it out of the ground cut the big stuff then finish making a pile to burn this winter.

I don’t like to waist what could keep me warm in the winter.

This year I wasted some poplar and some box, don’t much care for the poplar but the box I should have kept, the worst I could have done was to use it in the spring and fall or sold it next year for pit wood.

If this stuff burns like fruit its worth having.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back