Linking biners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is how I resolved side loading the biners. Wish I had got the spreader clip in the shot but... The problem is the one biner, split tail side, falls over when I pull up. Eventually it finds it way sideways. The link seemed to hold it up so it keeps it more in place. Any criticisms.

climb006.jpg

I like the way it looks! I think I'll try it.

When I first looked at it I thought it might make taking the split tail loose to bypass limbs unnecessarily complicated, maybe needing a wrench, but then I realized that since the screw link is not load bearing it need only be finger tight. Maybe even a small non-locking biner or dog snap would do.

I ran into the same problem, but my solution was a little different.

At least 95% of the time I know I am not going to be passing any limbs, so I put everything on one biner. It is always loaded and cannot flop around. The other 5% of the time I use 2 biners, but tie their tops together with a couple of feet of light nylon cord. Just two or three wraps and an overhand knot is all it takes. If you need to pass a limb, it takes about 3 seconds to remove the cord.

x load biners

In my opinion you shoud remove the thimble from the split tail. Either girth hitch the eye splice to the biner or make your own split tail and tie it with a knot that cinches it to the biner (triple fishermans/barrel knot). The thimble is nothing but trouble. Thimbles are great for snaps but not for biners.

Corey

Side loading Biners

Lync, is right . when the split tails first came out most had a small eye. now the have a large eye and you girth hitcht to the biner. I had to make them and used a double fishermens knot and ever so often change to the other end, you can get more wear out of them

I agree... Girth hitching the split tail keeps it from wandering. I never have problems with side loading when the split tail is girth hitched.

Lync, is right . when the split tails first came out most had a small eye. now the have a large eye and you girth hitcht to the biner. I had to make them and used a double fishermens knot and ever so often change to the other end, you can get more wear out of them

OK, as you can see I have a small eye on the split tail. I haven't loaded it yet but I am wondering what will happen when I do. Anybody see a problem with this? Maybe I could turn it around and use a double fishermans.

munterandbiner.jpg

Last edited:
Once you load that girth hitch, it will snug down tight and you won't have problems with side loading the biner. That's exactly how I do it. However, I usually put a swivel snap-hook in the middle of the girth hitch to use with my mini pulley as a Blake's Hitch "minder".

I see your using arborplex, with a knot termination at the biner, just leave the tail a little longer and loop it around the base of the split tail w 2 half hitches. This will stop the split tail beaner from flopping around during body thrusting. The screw link is a good idea, but you could drop it , keeping things simple is the way to go.

Corey

Split Tails

You can also Whip that small Eye down tight on the Biner. The Sherrill
catalog has pic's of how to Whip, this will make the small eye tighten up on the Biner so it can't move around

It's all about personal preference. We all find something we are comfortable with and adapt from there. I love seeing all of the options here though. It's great to learn more from everyone.

It's all about personal preference. We all find something we are comfortable with and adapt from there. I love seeing all of the options here though. It's great to learn more from everyone.

I use a spreader clip which has a rather small circle to attach your biners to.
(Don't mind the bowline this is an old pic)

ockclimbing009.jpg

If the biner gets sideways in there it can really look bad and it does often. It can also be hard to get back into place when loaded. The posting here has been a real help. Hard to believe how simple the solution is but trust me I was far from figuring it out myself.

My method and moray's method work but like it was said, "keep it simple". Not that it is hard to change these out but eliminating steps you need to keep in your head is really much better.

I agree with Job Corps Tree--whip or sew that eye to make it almost tight on the biner. I have started making small eyes for my ropes and tails, and they do not move laterally along the biner and will not lead to a cross-loaded situation. But they are not so tight that I cannot readily remove them.

By the way, Adrpk, what is the purpose of that spreader clip? I think you may have explained that once before so I may have missed it. Can't you just clip into both the sliding Dees at once and eliminate one honking big chunk of hardware?

I agree with Job Corps Tree--whip or sew that eye to make it almost tight on the biner. I have started making small eyes for my ropes and tails, and they do not move laterally along the biner and will not lead to a cross-loaded situation. But they are not so tight that I cannot readily remove them.

By the way, Adrpk, what is the purpose of that spreader clip? I think you may have explained that once before so I may have missed it. Can't you just clip into both the sliding Dees at once and eliminate one honking big chunk of hardware?

I started out with that thing and never tried a climb without it. I read somewhere that they are used to give a little more comfort to your legs by spreading the d's. I got used to it, but, "one honking big chunk of hardware":ices_rofl: , it is. Anybody else on why one would use of not use this clip.

I perfer to attach the fixed end of the climbing line to one side and the running end to the other side for "standard" DdRT climbing. I like the stable feeling of having them spread some. It also doesn't seem to create a crowded feeling for working with the lines and allows you to easily work "through the lines". I use a Buckingham Deluxe Master saddle, so I don't have the large D's up front, but finding a variety tie-in points is easy.

Nick from WI makes my split tales and they are so tight that some times I can barely get my biner in so that makes them stay really well. So I recommend that idea make small eyes. Or use some whipping like suggested done that too both work.
Jared

Latest posts

Back