Little crane gig.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My first in NY with a new operator. Guy was good. We were picking over the primaries so he wanted them booted. NYSEG showed up an hour late with the wrong equipment as a 40 ton crane sat there idling. :dizzy: They got the service drops down and primaries booted and we tore her apart pretty quick. OD would make fun of my spider leg use and the size of my picks but we were too close to the wires I wasn't taking any chances. Took two hours, balls out climbing, rigging and cutting, no free rides from the crane.

Here's our new truck lettered up

IMG_0433.jpg

Chipper shot

IMG_0432.jpg

NYSEG booting the lines and the tree in question.

IMG_0436.jpg

Last edited:
The little stick we's working with.

IMG_0448.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't get any good shots of the branches coming down, but we got a couple of these.

IMG_0452.jpg

'nuther one

IMG_0459.jpg

Last edited:
And what's a good photo thread without one of these.

lol
IMG_0464.jpg

Last edited:
yah dude!

whats that a terex 40ton 94ft of boom? i was climbing on one today, actually. thats awesome good for you blakes. looks like you coming along with ctc as well, bigtime!

thanks for sharing.

yah dude!

whats that a terex 40ton 94ft of boom? i was climbing on one today, actually. thats awesome good for you blakes. looks like you coming along with ctc as well, bigtime!

thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure the make of the crane. Pretty sure he said 104 w/out the jib. Plenty for this little tree. Good OP. Sucks I can't ride but with our smaller chipper we just take things a little slower paced and I can move pretty quick in the tree to get to the next choke point. This one sucked with no central tie in but it went smmooooooth if I must say so myself.

Nice job!

You're lucky nyseg was only an hour late. We've had them not show up at all. Have done work for all the big power companies in the state-they are the worst.:mad:

Yeah, I tore into them pretty good for it and I sold a job to the neighbor that we took care of while we were waiting for them so it worked out. Still stressful though. And yeah OD, checked some other pics. Terex it is.

104? must be the xl version. even better. a nice stout machine for sure with a pretty good chart for a short stick.

crane gonna spoil you man. lol

you get yourself pinched up at all while cutting blakes? what saw were you cutting with?

hey wulf, how many picks you wouldve done that tree in with that 40ton crane sitting there?

Why did you need a crane for that little bitty tree?

Cute, but we didn't "need" a crane. Mainly we got it to make life easier. The dz was tight to say the least ( non existent would be more accurate though ) and half the tree was dead and rotten/fallen off already. Turned a 8 hour job into a 2. And we got to try out a new operator. Will come in handy when we "need" one.

Why did you need a crane for that little bitty tree?

First thought that came to mind for me as well. If that crane was a rental you pissed away some serious cash. Crane and crew on stand by,road closure permit it all seems pretty unnecessary. That 's the kind of tree I love to see. Nice tower, small blocks ,a make safe and street side access an easy two hr removal.
Did we miss something from the pics or are you that hard up to work with a crane?

you get yourself pinched up at all while cutting blakes? what saw were you cutting with?

One pinch that I blame on not being quite synched up with the op on a lead I needed him to stand up. That was with the 200 which I used for all the top picks that we didn't get pictures of. I switched to my 361 16" for a few cuts, then grabbed the 385 24" for the wood. 066 36" for base cut.

Did we miss something from the pics or are you that hard up to work with a crane?

You are right, that crane lust is a factor but you have to remember I don't own a bucket. As you can see from the one pic up that the tree was still standing all the leads are over the primaries with the rear side completely blown out. There was nothing solid to rope to and I was climbing above my TIP the majority of the time. I originally wanted to do it w/out a service drop which would have meant a hellacious time trying to lower through that mess or involve a zip line into the neighbors yard. Once I met with the crane op, it turned out that my partner knew him so we wanted to give him a shot and he wanted the service drops down. Yeah, we spent some coin on him but still profited as much in 2 hours as we normally do all day without busting our ass. Having the crane to load wood made that part go well too. Instead, we'da spent a long time chunking and stacking.

Cute, but we didn't "need" a crane. Mainly we got it to make life easier. The dz was tight to say the least ( non existent would be more accurate though ) and half the tree was dead and rotten/fallen off already. Turned a 8 hour job into a 2. And we got to try out a new operator. Will come in handy when we "need" one.

Come on ,your killing me with 8 hours. I would have that tree on the ground in 4 hours with a handsaw ,rounds cut in 16" and neatly stacked.

First thought that came to mind for me as well. If that crane was a rental you pissed away some serious cash. Crane and crew on stand by,road closure permit it all seems pretty unnecessary. That 's the kind of tree I love to see. Nice tower, small blocks ,a make safe and street side access an easy two hr removal.

That's what I am thinking. I get a crane out from time to time but never for something like that. That deal was really pretty ridiculous if you want to know the truth.

don't climb with a top handle! c'mon....

that 361 with the short bar is good for 32 inches of wood man. fast for the smaller cuts!

you want the operator to stand it up then cut a leave it cut and get out the way. let him stand it up then after you free and clear, especially near them wires. i hope you weren't trying to get too cute and make a face cut just yet! lol. in time you see where that cut shines (usually on the far side of the tree and when you need a little pull to get the wood to where it needs to go. i say next time use the leave it cut.

don't let the haters hate bud. i'll hop in the bucket near them wires!

Back