Little crane gig.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unless there is some serious spread going on you got nothing to worry about.

Even on Norway? No offense, but I gotta work up to buying that. I'll take your word for it in theory and slowly start taking larger and larger pieces comfortably with this method.

The outfit I work for would like to buy a crane but fears having to close streets every time they want to use it. I noticed that you were able to close the street. Was it easy to do and were there any issues?

It was no big deal. I went to the public works dept. and paid my 5 bucks, told them the date and time I'd be doing it, set up my own cones and signs and they did the press release on the radio and in the paper. It was a small side street and easy to get around, obviously we can assume there would be much bigger to do had it been a main drag. I had to notify the residents on the block myself and list the city as an additional insured on my GL policy. Pretty straightforward stuff. Remember, the towns work for YOU.

Even on Norway? No offense, but I gotta work up to buying that. I'll take your word for it in theory and slowly start taking larger and larger pieces comfortably with this method.

i mean as long as you dont crank up on the thing well outside of what it weighs then yes you should be fine.

looking at your pic with the string...... don't sling them together. either under the union or hook both branches separately. no squeezing the 2 together.

i mean as long as you dont crank up on the thing well outside of what it weighs then yes you should be fine.

looking at your pic with the string...... don't sling them together. either under the union or hook both branches separately. no squeezing the 2 together.

Cool. Thanks for the help. I gotta jet, I'm beat. See if I can convince Laura to cook. lol

It was no big deal. I went to the public works dept. and paid my 5 bucks, told them the date and time I'd be doing it, set up my own cones and signs and they did the press release on the radio and in the paper. It was a small side street and easy to get around, obviously we can assume there would be much bigger to do had it been a main drag. I had to notify the residents on the block myself and list the city as an additional insured on my GL policy. Pretty straightforward stuff. Remember, the towns work for YOU.

Thanks for the info!

Nice job Blakes. Was looking at this thread this morning but had to skedaddle before I got through it. Lots of comments I would have like to have made but really all that I want to say is good for you on the crane job. Sell it anytime you can. Saves so much time and so much less liability using one in the tight spots. Not only that, it gives your company high visibility; People take notice on crane work. Everybody likes to stop and rubberneck and if they need tree work write your number down from your yard sign. A lot of climbers might not be impressed but believe me, the general public is impressed by cranes.

I agree on the stubs. It's a sign of a rookie.

361 rocks. My 044 was duller than #### this morning (someone ####ed up my chain) so I rocked the 361 all day in the tree and on the ground. Love it!

So you did not need a TCP? Small town don't do that?
Jeff ( TCP- Traffic Contol Plan) ;)

The 40 ton with operator costs $450 the first 3 and $135 per hour after that. Very easy to justify paying those rates with my lack of equipment. Especially in high visibility situations.

Heck ya man i cant knock you if your making money and nobody gets hurt keep going. everyone climbs and cuts different.

i wouldnt take big picks if i wasnt comfortable doing it ethier whats the difference 30 min? they way i look at it is it got done safe and efficently.

and about justifying a crane they are freaking sweet i love working when the crane is on the job i dont have to drag pulleys and rope around the tree all day.

The outfit I work for would like to buy a crane but fears having to close streets every time they want to use it. I noticed that you were able to close the street. Was it easy to do and were there any issues?

in most places we have worked we never had to do anything to close a street the one time i did go to the local PD they told me if thier is ever a hazard or dangerous situation to close the street as long as we can redirect traffic.

all we do is put up the detor and road closed signs or have flaggers.

Link belt 8675-II. 75 ton, 127 stick, 60 jib. It's an ugly crane, but does a sweet job.
Ran the 8675 for several years, but boss decided to upgrade a couple months back. Little bit longer with a better chart, i'm happy.
Bandit 1990xp, grapple attachment. We don't fart around.

now that is what i like to see man. bigtime on the gear! how you roll down the road? do you even bother bringing a bucket with you? we roll with 3 chip trucks to catch what the woodsman can throw, no bucket.

here's my q for the crane. counterweight, how much can you haul on the crane before you illegal on the road? do you guys roll a CW truck at all times with the crew?

i guess what i am asking is are you really using all 75ton worth of crane on every setup? thats the key it seems with the big cranes is to be able to drive down the road with as much CW as possible and still be legal. at least what i've been noticing.

how long to get that jib on? and it looks like you going to need some room to put it on! lol.

awe man. i gotta come up there and see you boys bring the pain.

we gotta meet halfway crew vs crew and have an epic battle of tree removal.

whats with you hiding this info from me for so long man? you know i love this ****.

i'm going with our chipper being better than your chipper though. 375hp JD 22inch grapple.

you get to run that crane at all?

you need to give me your cell phone number so i can start sending you some sweet work pics and vids.... i know you got a camera on that phone of yours.

sick.

( TCP- Traffic Contol Plan) ;)
Thanks for that part, lovvy. I had no effin clue what you was on about. The public works dept didn't mention anything about it, it was literally as straightforward as I stated earlier even if Micknasty thought I dreamed it up. lol

Nice job Blakes. Was looking at this thread this morning but had to skedaddle before I got through it. Lots of comments I would have like to have made but really all that I want to say is good for you on the crane job. Sell it anytime you can. Saves so much time and so much less liability using one in the tight spots. Not only that, it gives your company high visibility; People take notice on crane work. Everybody likes to stop and rubberneck and if they need tree work write your number down from your yard sign. A lot of climbers might not be impressed but believe me, the general public is impressed by cranes.

I agree on the stubs. It's a sign of a rookie.

361 rocks. My 044 was duller than #### this morning (someone ####ed up my chain) so I rocked the 361 all day in the tree and on the ground. Love it!

Thanks for the kind words, md. The 361 w/16" and a muff mod has been my go to saw for a good bit now. If I could only keep the other guys hands off it, it would always be screamin' too, but it appears you can't help me with that dilemma. lol

Thanks for the kind words, md. The 361 w/16" and a muff mod has been my go to saw for a good bit now. If I could only keep the other guys hands off it, it would always be screamin' too, but it appears you can't help me with that dilemma. lol

LOL, I am the only one who is allowed to touch my 361 anymore. I was letting the crew use it but for some reason it is fickle to start. I never have a problem with but anytime anyone else on the crew tries to start it they invariably flood it. And this has been everyone I have employed over the past 2 1/2 years since I have bought it. I finally got sick of everyone flooding it and having to fool with it so I simply say hands off. I've got an 044 for my sawman on the ground. Works out for me, I keep a sharp chain on it and I'm always assured that I have a sharp large saw to run when I need it. I run a 20" bar on mine.

Back