Loaning your saws out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the OP - nope you're not a jerk. You were burned and learned from it. If somebody doesn't understand that, they've learned from it, too.

I have a loaner saw here ... a Wen electric (was my dad's) with about 300' of extension cord. Seriously.

I was taught that if you ever under so much sh*t that you needed to borrow something, you'd better return it 'better than you got it.' Over the course of living at out previous house for 20 years, my neighbor's 10' step ladder got to looking nearly new! Keeping my youth in mind, folks just don't understand why I won't loan out anything to them if the previous item came back all BTS .... :bang:

I think I'm going to offer to help him but that I share in the profits, then ill take $100 from the money he makes is it and give him the Homelite say congratulations there's your first saw treat it well and it will last a few seasons for you to upgrade...... Loan problem solved with him, lol then the next one will pop out of the woodwork I'm sure.
No there never was an offer to repair damages, just a your saw sucks comment.

I've heard it said that it's not rape if you come back for more. Why you going for more?

Yer BIL is dangerous; maybe tell him you're concerned about legal liability.

Hand him NOTHING until he's paid in full, with reasonable interest. "Loan problem" is HIS problem.

It depends who asks me. I have had some people ask, and I say absolutely not.

I have other guys who frequently ask to borrow a big saw. One guy in particular will always have the thing cleaned up and return it better than he received it. These guys I know, if anything happens to the saw, they would replace it without thinking twice.

Knock on wood, I have never been burned

But

All my stuff, except my firearms are there for any of my close friends and family to use. They all know I trust them with my stuff and they respect my stuff.

I'll give anyone the benifet of a doubt. I treat other people's stuff the way I expect them to take care of my stuff.

Of the people I know who would ask to use my stuff there is one guy who I would not loan a free screwdriver to. This guy borrowed a trailer from someone to take scrap steel
Away, as the crane picked the steel off the trailer a hydronic hose blew supposedly and dropped the whole load of steel back on the trailer from 15' up, snapped both axles and ruined the deck boards. His comment was, "I guess I have a apology to make, good thing it wasn't my trailer."

I will loan out a hammer, shovel, pipe wrench, but if it plugs into an outlet or requires fuel of any sort, forget it.

I have loaned out my shop crane (cherry picker, engine hoist) and it has come back damaged every time. It stays at MY shop now.

So the guy borrows your saw to cut wood and then your truck to deliver it? "Oh, I'm busy, can YOU deliver it for me please? After all it is YOUR truck..."

Family or not, sometimes a "no" up front is the best thing for maintaining a good relationship.

And if that causes hard feelings, so sad. But at least there is no bitterness over screwed up equipment...

I think I'm going to offer to help him but that I share in the profits, then ill take $100 from the money he makes is it and give him the Homelite say congratulations there's your first saw treat it well and it will last a few seasons for you to upgrade...... Loan problem solved with him, lol then the next one will pop out of the woodwork I'm sure.

I would have had a few choice words for him after that.

There's a difference between being polite and being a doormat.

What? You have one great reason for a big fat F-n NO on every page.... and I'm only on the third.

Are you sure you aint trolling up a good thread here?

bike, the wife hmm kinda same thing eh :msp_biggrin: yet if its a good set of wheels, perhaps not so much the same.. so looky no touchy

My brother borrowed my mower once up on a time to mow a yard for pay. I got it back Ok, but I would not do that unless my family was hungry. Tom

Saws? I will always come on the other end. My friends know better than to ask me for a saw, but they know that I would help them in a second, I just value what I work for and take care of my stuff that I worked hard to acquire.

I don't loan the wife, guns or girlfriends and for gawds sakes never saws. just sayn:cool2:

One time I loaned my truck to a new friend.He didnt know where the land fill was and only had a car.I had to work and told him my wife would go with him to show him where to go.The truck and my now ex wife both came back with a rod thrown in them.The moral of this story?Dont loan stuff

Most of my friends already know I come with the saw!! I'm more than happy to help a friend because if I need help I know a friend will be there to help me. I don't believe anybody has even asked me to borrow a saw because they Probly know better. Lol I suffer from C A D and I'm sick with it and most my friends know it. I'd more than likely bust out in laughter if anyone asked me to borrow a chainsaw!!! But then I would ask them what they needed and if we both could take care of it. If that's not good enough go buy a cheap saw and have at it, never have to borrow another saw will they.

FWIW, I don't understand why so many have a difficult time just saying "no". There are no shortage of rental shops out there.

Plus, if something should ever happen to the operator, you could end up getting sued because you lent it out. No kidding. Seriously, I know of such an incident.

It's against some people's nature to not want to help someone out when they need something. Rather than say no to someone I've offered to cut their wood up for them rather than have a novice use my saw.

I look at it this way, I have positioned myself among my family and group of friends as the chainsaw/firewood guy. Not saying that is what you wish to do, but lets just for a minute assume that is one of the roles you play. If that is the case, then you always need to be in a position to back that title up. Either with a spare saw or with spare time help out with your more valuable saws. That being said, this specific case (cutting wood to make money) perhaps a bit of honesty that the situation proposed is of concern, and may require a different long term solution that a "loaner saw" is in order.

I enjoy chainsaws and cutting trees, so i have actively sought out the chainsaw guy role within my circle of friends and family. It has paid me back ten fold in terms of friends i have cut for are: computer experts, have vacation homes, golf memberships, spare kayaks .... just to name a few examples.

A strong circle of friends with varying skill sets is an invaluable asset! This is one reason I always have that loaner saw, and really go out of my way to step up when friends and family need me to.

It's against some people's nature to not want to help someone out when they need something. Rather than say no to someone I've offered to cut their wood up for them rather than have a novice use my saw.

I think you missed my point entirely. At what point does helping out end and being a used doormat begin?

If someone needs help thats one thing. If someone wants to make money using your equipment which they then return to you damaged, thats quite another.

I think you missed my point entirely. At what point does helping out end and being a used doormat begin?

If someone needs help thats one thing. If someone wants to make money using your equipment which they then return to you damaged, thats quite another.

I agree that I occasionally miss the point entirely. My wife keeps reminding me of this fault. Nobody completely knows in a forum anybody's background or the reason a person wants to make money or their need of said money. If they're needing money to buy groceries to feed their family it's one thing, if they "need" money for a new tattoo it's quite another. Nobody should borrow something from another and bring it back in worse condition without offering to pay for damages.

I agree that I occasionally miss the point entirely. My wife keeps reminding me of this fault. Nobody completely knows in a forum anybody's background or the reason a person wants to make money or their need of said money. If they're needing money to buy groceries to feed their family it's one thing, if they "need" money for a new tattoo it's quite another. Nobody should borrow something from another and bring it back in worse condition without offering to pay for damages.

Your wife must be related to mine. No need to take umbrage with my reply as I was just saying that charity is one thing and being a sucker quite another. If someone needs money to feed the family then they would take care and return whatever they borrowed in the same if not better condition than it was handed to them, knowing that their borrowing it again kind of depended on this. Thats all. In the OP's case it appears that his BIL doesn't want to get his own saw because then it's his responsibility.

It seems that more than ever there are many who would like to put responsibility for themselves on others. Everyone but themselves.

Back