Local Shop - Such A Dissapointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFEngineering

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Strictly venting: Why does the local Sthil / Husqvarna dealer have to be suck a jackwad?

Last October I started a new job and I was pleasantly surprised to see a saw shop 100 yards down the road. One day I decided to stroll over there at lunch and check out this newly discovered resource. I waked in and to my amazement the shop had everything, full line of sthil & husky saws, climbing equipment, parts, you name it he had it. The only problem was this guys attitude; another customer was discussing a price of a saw that he seen a bit cheaper down the road. The owner/salesman tore into him like he had just insulted his mother. I was a little put off by the "customer service" and continued to browse the store. Another thing that annoyed me was the fact there were no prices on anything. I mean I understand it takes time to price everything and the typical industrial clientele just come in and put it on their bosses tab so who cares, but I would like to shop around with out having to ask this guy about every item I like. Anyway I wrap up my trip, say goodbye and I got no response as I left the shop.

Last week (10 months later) I was in the market for some new bull rope so I figured why not give this shop another shot, maybe the guy was having a bad day or something last time. Nope, same story. I walked in, said hello and started looking around. I found some rope and asked for the price, almost 2 times what Bailey's had it for. Plus he was a-hole to a customer who just said he had 4-500 bucks for a new saw. I put down the rope and left. Frustrated with this 2nd attempt to support this local business I asked a co-worker if he had gone into this shop. His experience was the same; he went in to purchase 50-75 bucks worth of replacement parts and got brushed off, apparently your dog sheet unless your dropping 2k on new equipment.

I swear if it wasn't for the fact he was parked outside one of the areas largest logging outfits he would be out of business. Some people just don't have any class.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I hope you guys have better shops in your area.

That's how I ended up running jonsered and toro rather than stihl and simplicity,,went into the stihl shop, looked around for abit, ask a question got my response and went down the road to his competition, never looked back..I aint looking for a hand job from a dealership, just good service. That stihl dealership is now outta' business.

I mean my saw usage is recreational at best and with 4 working saws, access to the internet and somewhat advanced mechanical knowledge I don't need a local dealer. It would be nice though to have a good local resource to bounch ideas off of or just shoot the breeze about the latest and greatest new-fangled equipment.

I wish you all had life so easy as I. I have three of the best STIHL dealers in all America, one 12 miles away, one 20+ miles and Madsen's is about 30 miles.

My local shop sucks too. Sadly I bought 2 saws and a blower before I figured that out. He's 5 minutes from my house which makes it even more painful.
The gas cap on my blower went (yea I know, damn flippy caps) and I called him about it "Bring the whole blower in, not just the cap. If it's not a recall they're under $10". Really? The two other shops I called said it's under $5 and they'd replace it for free anyway even though I didn't buy it there. Oh yea since it was a recall why the hell didn't you call me?!?
A friend bought a Honda generator there, he sold her two transfer switches, one for the panel and a small one for the furnace. Then he wouldn't take back the unnecessary small furnace switch.
He didn't call me before he did an expensive repair on my snowblower.
Since I'm in northeast mass there are several other stihl dealers within 30 minutes of me, that guy isn't getting another penny from me.

I use Ahearn equipment in Spencer. The younger parts guy seems to know a bit about the saws. The older gentleman is by the book. Not the cheapest, but they usually can get parts within a few days and have a decent selection on hand.

Good luck finding a Stihl dealer in NJ who isn't a d-bag. I been searching for 15 years.

My stihl dealership couldn't even put in my crank seal right. I sent it in for a vac test and they did and called before they "fixed" it. I took it to a different stihl certified mechanic an he just basically said my dealership was retarded and he proceeded to fix all of everything that needed fixing for about half price. I also needed an oiler hose because my dealer forgot to put the piece that the worm gear rides on back on the saw and it snapped the aluminum hose, but of course the dealer needed to buy a whole new oiler which would have been $100 without labor. No thanks. Brought it to the other mechanic and he fixed it for me for $70 for a while new oiler assembly. While I watched him do it. Glad I found this guy. He also does port work.

The best Stihl/Husky dealer around here is about 10 miles away they always have everything i need in stock and very knowledgable and they aren't even ELITE. I have 2 ELITE dealers between my house and that dealer and they're terrible, never have chain in stock,part never available,and the staff is clueless.

I hope you guys have better shops in your area.

Not that I've found. I usually get the 'You have no idea what you're talking about' look even when I provide the parts numbers and ask intelligent knowledgeable questions.

At the large Stihl & Echo shop (a Deere dealership) close to me the guys at the counter only know what the computer tells them.

At the small Mom & Pop mower shop, Echo & Stihl dealership, the owner tries to be a gruff character. His regular customers seem be used to him, but I just consider him to be a ****.

The fellow at the Husqvarna Certified Service shop wrote an invoice for the entire hub & rim sprocket when I purchased just the rim sprocket. His smartass attitude didn't hlep matters.

No joy around here with three RedMax dealers, two of which are also Stihl dealers, for simple carb adj.

Total prima donnas, how dare you question anything they say? One even got into a real "soapbox" soliloquy about needing 93 octane alk-free and this-here RedMax oil; didn't like being brought back to earth. :dizzy:

They simply didn't care to hear that adjusting high-speed mixture was not just going for a tach reading. If the EPA ever saw their stinky-rich settings, I'd like to see if those Feds had any fangs. (Should have called them!)

Some really brilliant professors, eminent in their fields, I've found very open to questions and able to stand scrutiny. These guys were like the "Great Oz", who did not take questions.

Just too bad that mfgs. make you dependent on arrogant incompetents for what should be routine adjustments in the field. If a carb acts up (speck of dirt, whatever) on Friday, you could melt a piston before Monday.

Those that advise buying a saw based on local dealer support are really chumming for these sharks. Lose them.

Last edited:
Not that I've found. I usually get the 'You have no idea what you're talking about' look even when I provide the parts numbers and ask intelligent knowledgeable questions.

At the large Stihl & Echo shop (a Deere dealership) close to me the guys at the counter only know what the computer tells them.

At the small Mom & Pop mower shop, Echo & Stihl dealership, the owner tries to be a gruff character. His regular customers seem be used to him, but I just consider him to be a ****.

The fellow at the Husqvarna Certified Service shop wrote an invoice for the entire hub & rim sprocket when I purchased just the rim sprocket. His smartass attitude didn't hlep matters.

I love when you give the part# and they still take 10 minutes to flip through the catalog and look it up or the one ELITE dealer here you go in and ask for a Stihl chain and they get out the Oregon book:bang:

i wanted a chain from the local stihl dealer, they dont make chain loops they order them, and told me .063 is the only chain
they sell, it would be a "special" order to get .050 gauge chain :confused:

Pfft...It takes me 30 minutes to get a simple carb kit and fuel line at my local dealer. Of course 28 1/2 minutes of that are BSing and fondling a new saw or two.

I feel your pain, I do. No, not really. :tongue2:

Back