locking saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a wireless alarm system in my shed, a thief wouldn't be able cope with the High frequency internal siren for very long.

Not worth wasting the time. There are bolt cutters, portaband, and a torch within 30' of the saw rack. So pretty much pointless.

Not worth wasting the time. There are bolt cutters, portaband, and a torch within 30' of the saw rack. So pretty much pointless.

Thieves in my area, not smart enough to use a torch, portaband, etc.
I use my trail camera to keep an eye on things....set in area to capture license plates and faces of the idiots who steal.

My though is to have something to stop the smash and grab thief. Theives are opourtunist and will take somethign if easily presented to them. The average junkie is not going to go to a lot of trouble to steal somethign if they have to work to get it.

I live in a populated small town so I am pretty sure a person would not want to spend anytime trying to steal something.

We have a dog as well that works very well for letting us know when someone is around that we are not aware of.

I am thinking a big chain would work best as it could double for dragging trees to the wood pile as well. Currently I drop the tress and buck them in place but the chain would save a step and get the tree at the pile and serve as a distraction to a thief.

Cripes, must be tough to constantly live in fear. I don’t even lock the door to my house. Keys are right in the ignitions. Sleep great at night. No worries at all. Its insured.

Cripes, must be tough to constantly live in fear. I don’t even lock the door to my house. Keys are right in the ignitions. Sleep great at night. No worries at all. Its insured.

and your address is ?.......just kiddin.......

The world isnt all sugar coated and roses any more. I dont live in fear, just prepared.

A chain could work. Id use a rubber coated cable. To keep it from nicking the saws. My saws arent shelf queens, but I dont abuse them either.

Our shop door frame has steel around it. And a steel frame with cross bars across then window held in with 2" lag bolts.

Very true and that is pretty close to the way things are here. I just think when you have kids and a open garge a lot things could go missing very easily. My children are young now ,but as more people (kids)come to a house more things get spread around as to what people may have increasing the risk for theft.

Most thefts are due to people having some prior knowledge of what i there to take.

I am well insured as well.

Same with me, would have to lock up all of my tools also. That would be impossible. There used to be no such problems around here and people would not even lock their houses, until... One of my neighbors got her MS 240 stolen last year. It's a shame we now have to lock the doors. Before that, we could share each other's workshops even if the owner wasn't around (12 people live in my village and we fully trust each others).

When your possessions begin to control your actions, whom is really in charge?? Ya sure, a big viscous dog that will rip someone’s throat out or bite off someone’s hand off over a stupid POS chainsaw? Can’t see a major lawsuit coming from that equation. Ya sure, I need to come home every night and review monitor surveillance camera data. Like I don’t have enough else to do. Lots of folks wander around the property looking for firewood or tree work cuz thats what I do. Yea, I should just turn the dogs loose on them. Give me a break. Use the old fishing moto. If you cant afford to lose it over the side of the boat, you really had no business owning it in the first place.

Last edited:
Theft is a problem in this area, mostly opportunity thiefs. I've got a big arse steel filing cabinet that's wide enough hold saws with up to 24" bars still attached. The Stihl 066, Husqvarna 346XP, Husqvarna 445, and Stihl 028 WB all go in it. Then I've got several other cabinets with drawers I use to store stuff. All the drawers are labeled, and the drawers with the saws say stuff like "shop towels" and "oil".

On the conspicuous shelves in my garage, I have an old McCullogh electric chainsaw and a little Craftsman saw, both of which are clean and neither of which work.

The filing cabinet with the real saws isn't locked, I don't even have the key for it. Opportunists won't bother looking in the cabinet with the POS saws sitting on the shelves, and a locked cabinet isn't going to stop anyone who's planned out the crime and knows where I keep them.

If anyone snoops around, my rescued Viszla will bark like mad and come running to hide behind me, LOL. At least the burgler won't be able to bribe her with steaks.

Just dont tell the insurance company your house was unlocked and the keys where in the ignition when you are robbed. They do not pay out if your roll out a red carpet for criminals.

I keep my 4 in the truck box, two per side and chained together with the toolbox locked when it's not in the garage. Wouldn't be impossible to get them out but it wouldn't be fast, easy or quiet either.

Just dont tell the insurance company your house was unlocked and the keys where in the ignition when you are robbed. They do not pay out if your roll out a red carpet for criminals.

Insurance don’t buy you nothing more than a point to argue in court. Alarm or lock don’t matter a whiff to a proper thief. What are you going to do? Come out of your-self imposed prison with a shot gun an open up someone like a can of beans for touching your beloved saw or car??? Yea right, sure you would. Give me a break. If you are that worried about your junk, its time to move to a better area of the world or just give up.

Last edited:
good luck with insurance they gave me 100 bux for a 500 dollar saw they said it was used,,, cant even hardly get a project saw for that! 5.56 protection plan for my saws:hmm3grin2orange:

Im glad you live in a area where you dont have the need to lock up anything.

I dont live in that area, and will stand by my keys, and guns. We even have to lock the hitches in our trucks, and I lock my boat trailers.

I dont live in that area, and will stand by my keys, and guns. We even have to lock the hitches in our trucks, and I lock my boat trailers.

No big deal. I just can’t imagine living in an environment where you need to lock everything and carry a gun cuz you are scared of your own shadow. Sounds just like purgatory to me, but to each his own. I am sure the sunsets are great, if you don’t mind the barking dogs, severed hands and hail of lead. I always leave the key to my boat in the ignition on the off chance someone might need to use it for a quick water rescue. Fortunately, no one has ever needed it. Go figure. Yes the boat is insured.

I agree completely, in this rural area, which some statistical data will claim is like the meth capitol, meth mfg center of the mid US, living out in a rural area, virtually no law enforcement if you don't protect your property you wouldn't have much left. The majority of the farmers will have dogs, that will either alert or be semi- aggressive or you wouldn't have anything left. 27 years ago right after I got married my house was broken into and totally ransacked, 18 guns were stolen, a rolex watch, lots of nice stuff, good luck getting a 1/4 of what the stolen goods are worth, the insurance companies depreciate everything.
I don't have to watch any video unless something is missing, cheap insurance when you've got a lot of valuables accumulated over 45-50 years. I'll take my dogs and guns over depending on what the insurance company would give me for replacement value. Plus I love watching the look on peoples face when they get too close to the truck, they get the picture real fast when they hear the low growl and the ears lay back.
All I have to do is tell her it's alright, their good and she'll lick them to death. I'll damn sure miss her when the time comes, like one of my kids, one of my best friends and smarter than a lot of people I know, since it has got cold she gets to ride up front, her azz has to be right next to mine, if I scoot over, she'll move her butt to be right against mine.
I wish we lived in an area where you could leave things unlocked, it would be nice, not to worry about things walking off for some methhead daily fix. The lastest deal is the meth heads are burning all the empty houses and coming back the next day to steal the copper.

Back