loctite 515

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I searched high and low for loctite 515 but seems no one has it and my stihl dealer tells me she doesn't use anything on the cylinder gasget as not to change the compression ratio ? sounds like good advise but I said won't most of it squeeze out? im ready to soak this thing in some 2 stroke oil and put it together what is 515??

donho said:
I searched high and low for loctite 515 but seems no one has it and my stihl dealer tells me she doesn't use anything on the cylinder gasget as not to change the compression ratio ? sounds like good advise but I said won't most of it squeeze out? im ready to soak this thing in some 2 stroke oil and put it together what is 515??
You don't need anything on that gasket. If you wish to replace the gasket with a sealant instead, (after checking clearances), I recommend Permatex Ultra-Grey. Anaerobic sealers leave a lot to be desired.

Search the easternet.

Or go to this link

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?10107&affiliateid=froogle

You probably dont need it for the cylinder gasket if you have the proper gasket. Dont know what their thinking telling you it will change the compression ratio, unless you told them you were going to use it in place of the gasket.

Then they may have told you this because #1 their a Dealer and couldnt even suggest you modify anything and #2 they would miss out on the chance to make a sale.

515 is called Gasket eliminator, you would use it in place of the gasket specificaly TO increase compression.

simonizer said:
Anaerobic sealers leave a lot to be desired.

What do they leave to be desired? Im curious.

RaisedByWolves said:
Or go to this link

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?10107&affiliateid=froogle

You probably dont need it for the cylinder gasket if you have the proper gasket. Dont know what their thinking telling you it will change the compression ratio, unless you told them you were going to use it in place of the gasket.

Then they may have told you this because #1 their a Dealer and couldnt even suggest you modify anything and #2 they would miss out on the chance to make a sale.

515 is called Gasket eliminator, you would use it in place of the gasket specificaly TO increase compression.

What do they leave to be desired? Im curious.
Compatibility with various fuels.

Simon, please share how you would get the sealant in there without unbolting the jug also?

The notes page in my manual is gettting pretty full tonite.

Rotax

Rotax Robert said:
Simon, please share how you would get the sealant in there without unbolting the jug also?

The notes page in my manual is gettting pretty full tonite.

Rotax
Now that would be a trick ha ha. If you had to do it for some weird reason, look up Loctite 290 on Google. I have used this on pre-torqued fasteners.

RaisedByWolves said:
Or read the lable.

Or ask someone who has been using it on engines for a decade..........

Or....

Or...
I switched from it about 15 years ago. I liked their gasket eliminators in 1987 or so when they were 2 part. You sprayed a catalyst on one half and applied the sealer on the other. I did several motorcycle crankcases with this. To each their own I guess. I have never had a problem with Ultra-Grey.

Im probably gonna pick up some grey now to try it.

Ill have to do some research on it, I just like the 515cause I can find so many uses for it.

I also prefer it when the tube has been open for about 10 years. It gets nice and thick and gooey.

We have a press gasket at work (about 1/4" wide by 10'diameter) that has to be installed on one half of a casting, by carefully lining up the bolt holes and alignment pins, then the whole casting (about 4000lbs) gets inverted and the ridge with the gasket goes down in a valley of the other press half with the sealant the only thing holding it on. then it is all bolted together.

The gasket is approximately $1200.00 and weighs about 12-15lbs.

Three tubes of 515 that have been sitting in a cabinet open for months is the only thing we have found that works the first time every time.

I guess this is why Im biased towards it. Im farmilar with it and its just versatile.

RBW - try the Dirko that Stihl uses... damn good sealant.. and in gray if that matters...

Dohno - just use it dry like it was designed for... on the other hand, I've occasionally used and old gasket in good conditions (adhered to one side) and I just put a very (and I mean VERY) thin film of Hylomar HPF on the old gasket and it works like a charm..

Simonizer said:
Now that would be a trick ha ha. If you had to do it for some weird reason, look up Loctite 290 on Google. I have used this on pre-torqued fasteners.

I've used this also - pretty neat stuff... "wicking grade".

donho said:
You should be able to get 515 from a auto parts supplier, its a loctite product. another is ( 800 Industrial Sealant) made by 3m, comes in 5oz. tube, about three times as much as 515.

thanks 4 more info

I don't think I could get more good info if I rounded up all the top chain saw guys in the world. But I still have to keep searching for 515 ive been to a few auto parts stores etc. and yes I have a new gasget im going to get a couple of tubes just to have around now. IS THIS JUST HIGH HEAT SILICONE?? THANKS AGAIN ALL THE PROS WHO CONTRIBUTED!!

Seems to me that through Loctite it was 518 for the gasket eliminator. From what I understand, Permatex has purchased Loctite. Permatex's item # for the same stuff is 51813.

Grande Dog said:
Seems to me that through Loctite it was 518 for the gasket eliminator. From what I understand, Permatex has purchased Loctite. Permatex's item # for the same stuff is 51813.
loctite gasket eliminator I use is 515, but they may make a 518 also. didn't know they may have been sold. the tube from 3M is just as good and comes in a much larger tube. but can't remember where I bought. there is a phone # on the tube if anyone whats it.

caterpillar, case, and john deere all use loctite 518. It is just in a bottle that says their name. You could go to a dealer of them and buy it there as a last resort.

Latest posts

Back