Locust of some type?? Any ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look like locust to me. Are there any thorns? I don't see any. My best guess is Tree of Heaven/Ailanthus. If you pick the leaves and crush them do you get a foul musty odor?

It doesn't look like locust to me. Are there any thorns? I don't see any. My best guess is Tree of Heaven/Ailanthus. If you pick the leaves and crush them do you get a foul musty odor?

No thorns, which leads me to agree with you. Is there any reason I should keep them as I go forth we my man on introducing native species to my property?

They seem to be very healthy, for now I just plan on trimming them a bit.

I'm pretty sure it isn't black walnut. The compound leaves aren't usually that long and by this time of year you would see nuts, at least with the one in my back yard.

If it is ailanthus, it is pretty much considered a weed around here. They grow fast, dense and ANYWHERE. They spread quickly from suckers. They do get a flower, but they stink. The wood is weak. If anything else will grow there, I would plant pretty much anything but Ailanthus. If nothing else will grow, better than nothing.

My neighbor thinks they are black walnut but my neighborhood is covered with them and there is nary a nut to be seen. I am not going to feel guilty about removing a weed masquerading as a tree to put a fence in. :laugh:

Well, it ain't locust. And the 3rd pic is white pine like someone else said. Some years the walnuts do not have much of a crop of nuts due to drought or whatever...the leaves look too waxy to be walnut, though, and too dark a shade of green. The bark isn't quite right for walnut either. That helps with what it ain't, now if we could just figure out what it IS....:msp_unsure:

For sure that is an ailanthus..Leaves are alternate,walnuts leaves opposite.Besides... looks nothing like a walnut...cheers!

Tree-of-Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) is a severe problem for roadsides, old pastures and forests.

Last edited:
Maybe a couple more photos. Try a branch with no leaves and one back a bit to show the whole tree. I'm sticking with walnut.

Slice a twig

I agree that Pic#3 is white pine.

I'm leaning toward black walnut for the others, but sometimes pics can be deceiving. Deep furrows & diamond shaped bark, no terminal leaflet are signs of black walnut. For confirmation, grab a twig and slice it along its length. A chambered pith should confirm walnut. See link: Chambered pith images

I had a thought of ailanthus, but that bark is throwing me off, and the leaflets on each leaf don't seem to have the characteristic large tooth at their bases.

Def. NOT tree of heaven. TOH has two little ears or bumps on the base of its leaflet.

Looks like pecan.

Back