locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toqua

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i got a chance to get some locust that has been down for about 10 years or so i was just wondering if i should go look at it or has it been there to long. how about it turnkey we are a little dryer then you are do you think it is worth a look ?

Is it still hard? If so I'd burn it. Locust is used for fence posts and should be good no matter how old, as long as it's not all punky and rotten.

When I was in Kansas I cut and burnt locust almost exclusively for 3 years. The first year was mostly cleaning up dead fall and ones that had been cut down for a house construction. Of the ones that had been cut down for construction, about 75% were still solid 3 years after being cut down, but about 25% were punky and basically useless. I found it odd for there to be such a stark contrast between trees that more or less were otherwise identical (bark appeard the same, same thorns, etc.). At any rate, if I were you I'd at least go take a look at the wood.

Locust is one of those type woods like osage orange or catalpa that seems to last forever.They were used for fence posts at one time,may still be for all I know.

In this area there are two species,the black locust that has rough bark like a walnut and the honey locust that has smoother bark and thorns.

Coincidently,I 've got the remains of a rather large honey locust in my pile of firewood to be split.It's the largest I have ever seen with 30 inch rounds. Both species of locust are excellent firewood with a btu rating about as high as shagbark hickory.

Locust, to last

Has to be harvested while the sap is down. Or atleast that is what my Grandpa said. And we still have a pile of post that have been laying there for 50 years, and they are still good to go.
But when I was a kid I cut some post for my dad during the summer months., They all rotted off at the ground within just a few years.

Well,I will say this that locust cut in the spring is tough old stuff to split ,heavens.Then also just about any wood other that ash is tough when it's full of sap.

That stuff I have in that mountain of wood was cut in late April and is just now getting to where it yealds to a sledge and wedge.I don't imagine my trusty old splitting axe will be much use until about Jan.As it is now,it's about like trying to split a piece of concrete,booong.

Most of my firewood for next year is honey locust laying in cut rounds in a pasture right now. Im about to start burning my first year of locust I took down last winter. Burned a little the other night, it starts easy, and makes way too much heat for anything but cold cold cold weather! I love it!

All of the locust I have split was with my splitter, and that stuff splits like hedge and mulberry. Its so damn hard it almost falls apart. My pressure gauge on my splitter never goes over 750 psi with locust or hedge or mulberry. i have seen the gauge hit 2100 with hackberry and elm.

Most of my firewood for next year is honey locust laying in cut rounds in a pasture right now. Im about to start burning my first year of locust I took down last winter. Burned a little the other night, it starts easy, and makes way too much heat for anything but cold cold cold weather! I love it!

Could you tell me how long you age your locust to get a good fire? Also how do you burn yours?

I had a neighbor who cut down about a cord or so after splitting it and its aging split and stacked. I see you feel it burns really hot? I have an insert that needs all the heat it can handle in the cold.

Thanks
Shipper

Last winter I cut down a black locust with a friend. I think we did the job right before Christmas. He was burning it by January without ANY problems. Locust does throw out a LOT of heat. A number of my friends have told me that if I get my hands on locust it goes straight to them. They all call "dibs" on it. It doesn't go to their customers either... it goes into their own piles. Let the cherry, and maple go to the customers.. they want the oak, the ash, and the locust.

Sap??/

Has to be harvested while the sap is down. Or atleast that is what my Grandpa said. And we still have a pile of post that have been laying there for 50 years, and they are still good to go.
But when I was a kid I cut some post for my dad during the summer months., They all rotted off at the ground within just a few years.

What's that mean??? I never heard of sap down... How do you tell? I got a chance to cut some locust last fall, quite a bit matter of fact, bout 5 or 6 big trees and a few smaller downed ones. Locust is a AWESOME wood with GREAT BTU value. Better than any oak and up there with Beech and Apple. Damn bark is the only problem. Go and get all you can bro...

:cheers:
Dude

Edit:
Also, as far as hot, I know people who have burned their stoves out burning Locust if thats and sign to you...

Last edited:
What's that mean??? I never heard of sap down... How do you tell? I got a chance to cut some locust last fall, quite a bit matter of fact, bout 5 or 6 big trees and a few smaller downed ones. Locust is a AWESOME wood with GREAT BTU value. Better than any oak and up there with Beech and Apple. Damn bark is the only problem. Go and get all you can bro...

:cheers:
Dude

Edit:
Also, as far as hot, I know people who have burned their stoves out burning Locust if thats and sign to you...

Sap goes down in the winter months as the tree goes dormant for the winter.

Could you tell me how long you age your locust to get a good fire? Also how do you burn yours?

I had a neighbor who cut down about a cord or so after splitting it and its aging split and stacked. I see you feel it burns really hot? I have an insert that needs all the heat it can handle in the cold.

Thanks
Shipper

I age all my firewood 1 year or close. I have heard that locust is better after 2 years of seasoning, but I am only seasoning mine one year, and have no plans to do otherwise. Just my stubborn opinion.

Sap

It goes down into the roots in the fall and stays there, So therefore you harvest sassafras roots for tea during the winter months. And Maple syrup is harvested as the sap is going up to the top.
Warm days and cold nights signal sap is flowing.

Built to last!

Yesterday I helped my father-in-law replace a post that he has a bird feeder on top of; the old one and the one that replaced it were Black Locust. He said that the old one was about 20 years old! It was bone-dry and still solid except for the part that was in the ground, but even that wasn't totally falling apart! And it does season fairly fast because it is on the "dryer" side when alive. Now Honeylocust and Waterlocust are a different story becasue the are much wetter but are good burning woods when dry. Amazing stuff...

The black locust was what is used for fence posts.Usually the part in the ground,weather on a fence post or utilty pole goes not really go bad.The part at the ground line is usually where the rot starts.

Back