Log arch behind a walk behind tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the late 1970's there used to be ads in all the magazines for mini-dozer kits. here is a link to onehttps://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9ADC35F9BFE4E1969CBC9ADC35F9BFE4E&FORM=VDQVAP

That could also be a good base to start with
I never really need a base to start with. was going to build a small skid steer what I picked up the 20hp Briggs opposed twin for but need a bit more power for the pump I want to run.
was going to use Chevy independent suspension CV axles and hubs as the jack shafts and hubs with 2 decent size motors one for each side.
that engine is going to end up as a sawmill picked it up for nothing so no sweat of hide.

I could build a chainsaw winch I have a poulan built jonsered that was my loaner saw till my neghibor melted the plastic around the clutch I freed the clutch up but the brake is done I Have a junk clutch drum that I would car if I welded a pulley on.

Makes me smile to see the discussion of the walk-behind Gravely associated with this post; a truly wonderful machine. I've owned several, and still have and use the first one I bought, circa 1965 'Custom Convertible' model. It actually got a thorough cleaning and repaint about a year ago after having it for close to 40 years; I bought it used in the 1980's.

Using duals and chains on the outside (ag) tires it will plow snow uphill on a 20% gravel driveway using the factory 4' blade that is pictured on an earlier post. A particular value in snow plowing is the rapid change of direction provided by the planetary clutches; it can be REALLY fast. The weight of all that cast iron seems to make it unstoppable.

An earlier poster mentioned that it is not so good on the circular plow; I would have agreed with that before I figured out how it was intended to be set up. Strangely it was seeing it set up wrong on the cover of Harrowsmith years ago that made my mind click of how it was intended to be used, coupled with having been a farm boy conversant with how to set up a mold-board plow. Once set--the rotary plow is a brilliant piece of engineering; it produces the same furrow as the moldboard but results in seed-ready soil.

If anyone has one and wants to know how to set up the rotary plow, let me know and I'll describe it with photos.

The gravely never interested me much love the ones with rounded hood from the 30’s 40’s and 50’s love anything with that style kinda like the cars with the fins from the late 50’s early 60’s the we’re going to space style.

The mini-dozer pictured is a Struck.

As to the Gravely, they are weighed to the rear to balance frontend attachments. As stated by another, they are not designed for a rear load. The sulky and the older carts have a special hitch with two points of contacts to keep the rear from diving. They are well engineered and built machines. Though not particularly safe or practical, they made a chainsaw attachment and a circular saw attachment. The rotary plow is truly a fine attachment and can also be used for digging holes for shrubs and small trees. The only issue I encountered as a kid with one is wrestling one on a slope as it can kick your butt. The tiller attachment is really just for seed bed preparation, not plowing as the tines are too short. My father modified ours by extending the tine shaft to cover the width of our four wheel ride-on version. I have lots of fond memories running both the walk behind and ride-on. Without exaggeration, I have spent hundreds of hours with each.

Ron

Swap both your current tools for a larger garden tractor, if you are looking for acrage it will be needed as soon as you buy anyways.
Combined my garden tractor and the walk behind are worth about $350.
Everything I have I use for my business no matter the age I still work them only new equipment in the stable is my Stihl kombi tool.
I do a mix of everything from cutting grass and pruning/ removing trees to grading yards and putting in gravel driveways generally when I need something bigger I quote the job to include the rental of equipment.
A bigger tractor will be needed for what I want to do on the acreage looking at starting a Christmas tree farm you can bet it’s going to be something vintage though pulling a homemade tree planter 😉 .

something vintage though pulling a homemade tree planter
I mow pasture with an H, my newest saw is going on 20 years old. (it's gotta have a chain brake is my saw age limit)
But like others have said being between a big awkward log and the pulling machine on foot may have unintended consequences.
I like hard work but I don't try to make work hard (or dangerous) if I can avoid it.
I have only dragged one log in the last 5 years, (skidsteer) cus I cut n buck where they fall then throw the chunks in the skidsteer bucket or a trailer.

I mow pasture with an H, my newest saw is going on 20 years old. (it's gotta have a chain brake is my saw age limit)
But like others have said being between a big awkward log and the pulling machine on foot may have unintended consequences.
I like hard work but I don't try to make work hard (or dangerous) if I can avoid it.
I have only dragged one log in the last 5 years, (skidsteer) cus I cut n buck where they fall then throw the chunks in the skidsteer bucket or a trailer.
Not cutting firewood can’t even burn spruce or pine in Ontario. looking for logs to mill think I got it figured out.

You will most likely need a quad, sub compact tractor, for a log arch and a four wheel drive one at that in the woods if yur moving something big enough to mill.
Keep us updated...
Think a homemade chainsaw winch is in order since the loaner saw is useless as a chainsaw think I will use that for the power head. Need to find a truck winch that’s been burnt out pull the windings out and weld a big pulley to the stator and a small one to a junk spur sprocket I have for that saw. It will be reduced before it hits the reduction gears in The winch this way. I got more then enough angle iron and tubing kicking around to make a frame that won’t rely on the strength of the plastic fantastic saw.

All of this won’t be happening right away got a lot on the pile with costumers dropping their plastic fantastic 💩 off and will probably end up living in a single wide on the property till we get enough logs to build a house. I’m probably one of the few jack of all trades masters of none around here that’s under 30 was an auto body technician from a young age thought myself to stick weld(learned how to Metal Instant Glue at 10). All the SPF lumber I mill will be getting the stamp and I will frame my house with it mostly myself maybe with the help of a buddy who has probably never used full dimension lumber before.

Take a look at the Lennatsfors Iron Horse. They are walk behind ( or walk-in-front) rubber tracked tractors with small scale logging as one of their applications.

Take a look at the Lennatsfors Iron Horse. They are walk behind ( or walk-in-front) rubber tracked tractors with small scale logging as one of their applications.
Yeah seen them already been talked about would never find one local. The whole idea with a walk behind is I can pick them up dirt cheap($200 or less running). Anything other then what I have or what I can build is out of the question.

Yeah seen them already been talked about would never find one local. The whole idea with a walk behind is I can pick them up dirt cheap($200 or less running). Anything other then what I have or what I can build is out of the question.
I'm not saying you buy one, I'm suggesting you study it for ideas. It wouldn't take much to adapt a log trailer, and if you can equip a hydraulic pump to the walk-behind, a winch or forwarder grapple wouldn't be too far away.

Heck, fit an alternator on there and you can use a electric truck winch! ;)

I'm not saying you buy one, I'm suggesting you study it for ideas. It wouldn't take much to adapt a log trailer, and if you can equip a hydraulic pump to the walk-behind, a winch or forwarder grapple wouldn't be too far away.

Heck, fit an alternator on there and you can use a electric truck winch! ;)
Cheapest 18,000lb winch available is $1000 and that’s at princess auto(Canuck harbour fright). Think the junksared is capable of running a winch there was just a nice heavy duty electric winch that was burnt out for $25 guess I missed it.

Consider a design like this:

norwood-log-hog-_m-lh_-with-chain-_2.jpg

you want the log held firmly and off the ground on one end, and dragging on the other. You DON'T want a log fully suspended -- the end on the ground is part of your brakes.

Consider a design like this:

norwood-log-hog-_m-lh_-with-chain-_2.jpg

you want the log held firmly and off the ground on one end, and dragging on the other. You DON'T want a log fully suspended -- the end on the ground is part of your brakes.
Don’t own anything currently with a 3 point nor do I have the space to store it wouldn’t be an issue if I didn’t own 3 trucks and 2 cars lol.

Latest posts

Back