Log Gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Kids come and stand under my BB Hoop with tears in their eyes, wondering when I'm going to move that darned log. I milled up the main log last summer, but when I put the fork up on my log stands, my saw died. I fixed it a couple times to use on other more important stuff, but, every time I came back to this log, it died.

I got my new 660 a couple days ago and thought I'd get rid of that log. I figured that the Walnut is fairly soft and the log is short, no long hard running. That saw is a dream, smooth and easy to start. My 1050 had no decomp or AV. Here's a couple slabs. I did screw up a little. The log was wider than my mill, so I cut as far as the mill would go, took the mill off, and free handed the rest. It did dive about a 1/4 inch by the end of the cut. The second slab was a little worse. Then I did what I should have done in the first place. Cut a little of the flair off so the mill could make the whole cut. I'm taking a break, will let you know how the last 2 slabs come out, Joe.

Get those pieces out of the sun please!
The last Black Walnut I sliced up didn't make it for a full day(I forgot to move it inside and the sun ate it)...the backbone figured timber was destroyed.

Congrats on getting the 'better' of that log though. Was the chunk trying to 'grow'? The branch coming out of the side and all....

Scott (sweet grain structure) B

Yep, it was growing. I had to hook the little JD 265 up and pull them to my wood shed. Three inches thick and 42 inches at the flair, those buggers were heavy!

Nice job! Whatever you build will be beautiful. Hard part will be waiting for it to dry. Hope that 660 gives you years of service.

Thanks Dave, until I saw the pattern in the fork I had a plan, might change it now. I work for UPS moving the trailers around in the yard. I was going to make a 1/4 scale tractor trailer pick nick table. Our pups (the short trailers used in doubles) are 28', so that would make a 7' table. I have a monster Maple to take down tomorrow, that would be the table, since the trailers are gray anyway, I might just let the maple turn gray. I was going to inlay a piece of Walnut and Black Locust to make our logo shield, the shield is brown and gold. Then I was going to make a template on the computer of one of our tractors, maybe one of the old cab over ones, and use the Walnut to make the bench that went on the end, so it looked like a tractor pulling the trailer. A friend at work suggested making the side benches out of maple the same height as the table, and cut out the front for the seat. That way it would look like 3 pups parked in a row. The table will be one solid chunk of Maple, I plan on free hand cutting out the front where the 5th wheel hooks up, then cutting down to where the landing gear is, then another notch back to the tires. Other than the fact that it's gonna take a fork lift to move them, I don't think it will be that hard, we will see, Joe.

Really great stuff here. Nice job, and looks like some fantastic table legs are in there somewhere!

Back