Log ID - I tried but can't figure it out.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are leaf pics from 2 Mulberry trees on my property. The trees are less than 50' apart.

There are a lot of similarities - waxy, serrated, symmetrical leaf veins, but the way the leaf attaches to the stem is very different on your tree vs. the OP tree.

Still, there a wide variety of leaves in every species, so maybe this is Mulberry, but I'm not convinced yet.

How heavy is it? How does it split? What's the smell like? What's the tree shape?

For ID's I have the Petersen's Field Guide to Northeast Trees and Shrubs and one I found that is called Bark by Michael Wojtech.They have come through for a lot of stuff and saved trips here with questions.

But this one I posted just made no sense. Will try to bust open a piece today and upload the grain pictures. Also; I was going to call the person that cut it down but he is off on vacation for two weeks. I am not 100% sure on Mulberry since I have taken down a mulberry tree myself last year and while the weight and color of the inerds was the same...the aroma was different. Plus no berries which could or could not be correct if there is such a thing.

My initial thought was Pepperidge (black gum), but the pictures have serrated edges. Not persimmon, the bark would be knobby and the leaf stems are not right.

241822d1339806442-img_20120615_200345-jpg
One of my good tree cutting friends dropped off a load of logs in my yard today and for the life of me can not figure this out. I took some pictures and browsing through my books here to give it an ID but am at a loss. I am sure someone here knows. I haven't had a chance to split it but the smallish logs (12" diameter and about 0" long) weigh a LOT.

View attachment 241820
View attachment 241821
View attachment 241822
View attachment 241823

Are the pictures of the leaves positively from the same tree as the logs? they look like a bush not a tree as Treedoc already said and I agree. The wood looks like Mulberry.

Last edited:
The leaves are definitely evergreen euonymus, no doubt at all. E. kiautschovicus 'Manahttan', probably. Assuming the OP didn't try to trick us by showing leaves from one log and wood from another, that settles it. All you guys who said mulberry need to get your eyes checked.

241820-img_20120615_195216-jpg
The leaves are definitely evergreen euonymus, no doubt at all. E. kiautschovicus 'Manahttan', probably. Assuming the OP didn't try to trick us by showing leaves from one log and wood from another, that settles it. All you guys who said mulberry need to get your eyes checked.

What kind of wood is it in your opinion then? Locust maybe?

Last edited:
I'm willing to assume the OP has the leaves and the logs properly matched and that would make it Euonymus wood. I have to say, though, I've never even bothered looking carefully at the wood of that plant, so I have no mental picture of it. BTW, I'm sure I've never seen any big enough to yield 12" diameter logs.

Maybe the OP is having us on: he did say the logs were 0" long!

Mulberry for comparison

I didn't think it was mulberry so I took pics of my two trees. Mulberry can have plain leaves or lobed, sometimes on the same tree.

Here is one, the larger wild mulberry

attachment.php

Here is a siberian mulberry I got mail order and planted out back, this one has both lobed and smooth leaves

attachment.php

Proof of mulberry status

attachment.php

bonus pic! Garden Goddess caught in her natural habitat

attachment.php

I'm willing to assume the OP has the leaves and the logs properly matched and that would make it Euonymus wood. I have to say, though, I've never even bothered looking carefully at the wood of that plant, so I have no mental picture of it. BTW, I'm sure I've never seen any big enough to yield 12" diameter logs.

Maybe the OP is having us on: he did say the logs were 0" long!

Yes, I need a new keyboard ... the TWO key is kinda dead.... and the branch and leaf picture was a branch connected to a section of the log which I thought was part of it? Unless something was growing out of a hidden old crack in the log i "Assume" it was part of the tree. I'll go find that log and rip it apart this week sometime and maybe you alls are right maybe it was just something growing out of the tree; not necessarily the same tree itself. I ripped down one of the big pieces and here is a cross section near a big 'Y' in the tree.

I'm no expert beyond that I have a huge White Mulberry tree in my front yard and neither the wood nor the leaves look even remotely similar to mine.

Yes, I need a new keyboard ... the TWO key is kinda dead.... and the branch and leaf picture was a branch connected to a section of the log which I thought was part of it? Unless something was growing out of a hidden old crack in the log i "Assume" it was part of the tree. I'll go find that log and rip it apart this week sometime and maybe you alls are right maybe it was just something growing out of the tree; not necessarily the same tree itself. I ripped down one of the big pieces and here is a cross section near a big 'Y' in the tree.

Mulberry is a pretty bright color when you first cut it, and fades darker. If you just cut this, then it should be a lot brighter than that, for this looks more like the faded color of mulberry.

The picture posted by Broken Toys shows a plant with opposite leaf arrangement. Crataegus and Arbutus have alternate leaves.

I like to be informed as much as the next guy, and like to think that I stay on top of all the trees and plants in our area, but this is firewood, right? Last time I whacked a tree down for a customer and had no idea what the hell it was, I told her, "yep, you got you a arbecus pardiem, and its best off if it comes down before it takes over your yard. Im glad you called about that nuisance tree, yep.Bet your neighbors will be glad to see it gone too."

Now, I know there have been a few times when I have been accused of having the intelligence of a Tic Tac, and they may have been right, but when it comes to firewood or nuisance trees, well, I whack em down, pile the wood on the pile, and just set back and watch it dry on my stack. Only time I spend a lot of time deciphering a tree that I dont know is when asked to treat it for disease or the customer wanted it pruned/trimmed. Then you better know dang well what tree you got.

Only exception I see to that is handling the wood when taking it down. Local tree service actually got a pignut hickory tree confused with tulip poplar, and that guy on the rope was some kinda surprised when the lower branch was on its way down on a rope, and he ended up getting pulled UP the tree, and just about had a mid air collision.

Their excuse was it was winter time, no leaves on the tree, and the bark looked the same to them. Sad thing, those boys been in the business for fifteen years.

Yep, OP you got one of them arbecus pardiem. Stack it and burn it.

Back