Log id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash is kind of odd. I have seen dead stand standing trees and even fallen logs off the ground last for 15 years if the borer didn't kill them. And yes they will get spalted. The borer does something to them and they will rot in about 3 years. Also depends if the tree grew on the north side or south side of a mountain/ hill. North trees grow slower and are tighter grained.

Pictures are nice, but I think Unc could help out a bit more. Where did this log come from, and what were the trees around it?

Supporting details are important!

BTW: looks "ashy" to me, but I don't have the confidence to call it on that log. I only do that for bark on the logs still attached to the rest of the tree.

Definitely an ash i say. If not white i would think green. Been cutting them for the last 2 weeks straight. Norway maple bark isnt as thick as this looks for a log of its diameter. Plus the bark looks more tan and stringy in the under layers. Cant be too old of a log if that bark hasnt started to peel at all so i would think it was green when it was cut. Just my 2 cents.

Similar bark to basswood and tulip poplar , I don’t cut either so can’t comment on the spalting

Latest posts

Back