Log moving vehicle Q

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickblaze466

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Might be in the wrong forum, but since my logging is done solely for firewood purposes i put it here.

I'm currently using a 1978 Ford f-350 flat bed dually conversion i bought my from dads steel plant. It has just over 60k on it, its got a very heavy duty suspension upgrade installed for hauling the steel, but spent more time sitting than it did moving so I bought it. works fine for hauling a decent amount of logs. i can probably get 2.5 cord split up from what i can carry on the truck in one load. the truck doesn'thave a problem holding it, its not even sitting on the helpers at that point - but i'm out of room.

anyways, i've been looking for something bigger. found a 1976 international tag axle flat bed with a knuckle boom loader installed on it. its got a cat diesel 6 cylinder, has just over 26k on it. was a former city truck. guy called me today said come pick it up for $2500.00, he just wants to move it. problem is i live in Toledo and the truck is in Long Island. it is BIG, looks very clean for its age, and the loader would be a huge bonus for loading big logs. that said i just bought a bobcat to load the logs for me on my smaller truck since i had lost a bid on another large truck like this...and of course this one shows up.

what would you do?

If it's a better truck for your needs, then buy it and sell off the other equipment.

...Or just buy it and keep the other equipment because you can never have too much stuff :D

i've got a 1 ton flatbed, and a 2 ton with a 16 foot dump bed.

I NEVER stack wood on the truck. total waste of time. I can get a cord of wood loose on the 1 ton. it has 2 foot sides, but she's pretty full.

I can get 3 cords loose into the 2 ton. 4 foot sides, and she is heaping.

I wish I had a knuckle boom. that would be pretty nice, but the skid steer is what i use to load split wood or rounds into either truck.

the more you touch wood with your fingers, the more money you lose.

Back