Log/Pulp hook.....who uses one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy102579

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am always looking for deals when it comes to firewood tools.

Went to a few garage sales last weekend and found this. They were asking $10, I got it for $5

Must come in very handy during wet and snowy weather or i guess anytime.

View attachment 241343

Ive been using them since I started processing firewood with splitter 22 years ago. They make handling wood so much easier. Just be sure the tip is sharp otherwise there useless. I also keep a few in chip truck for carrying logs.The ones we use are the replaceable tip ones.

I use to use my pulp hook all the time until I accidently got it into my knee :msp_ohmy: That laid me up for a little bit but I still use the pulp hook to this day on wet heavy spruce and wet wood in the winter time so I don't have to put my hand in the snow, Just be careful with one, LOL

Pulp hooks are wonderful things. You do have to make sure you don't hit yourself with them though.

They are a little hard to find sometimes though. Labonville has them. The ones with the replaceable tips don't work as well for me, but they must sell.

Watch out for rotten wood. It'll go right through if you're too vigorous.

Pulp hooks are wonderful things. You do have to make sure you don't hit yourself with them though.

They are a little hard to find sometimes though. Labonville has them. The ones with the replaceable tips don't work as well for me, but they must sell.

Watch out for rotten wood. It'll go right through if you're too vigorous.

X2 on the saftey part, Pulp hooks hurt! For all you Maine and New England folks, True Value has them and my Husky one cost me about 20 bucks brand new. You can get a winter hook which is made of a more harder metal. They also have a summer hook which isn't as hard as the winter one.

Got a set behind the seat of the pickup, I don't use em too much, but they're handy to have when I remember they're there. The biggest thing for me is that I don't have to bend over as far to pick the rounds up, easier on the back.

The hookeroon I bought this spring gets more use, dragging rounds to the back of the truck when unloading.

A hay hook's tip is just a sharp point. A pulp hooks tip looks more like the profile of a straight bladed screwdriver with a little "tooth" on it. Sounds like a tiny difference but the that tip is where the "magic happens." I use one from Labonville and when I dont have it with me it's like walking around without my wallet, something is missing.

Got a set behind the seat of the pickup, I don't use em too much, but they're handy to have when I remember they're there. The biggest thing for me is that I don't have to bend over as far to pick the rounds up, easier on the back.

The hookeroon I bought this spring gets more use, dragging rounds to the back of the truck when unloading.

I am the same as Steve. I have both and just don't use the Pulp Hook the Hookeroon/Pickeroon just seems to be alot handier .

I am the same as Steve. I have both and just don't use the Pulp Hook the Hookeroon/Pickeroon just seems to be alot handier .

Another ditto. Hookaroon (36") is so much longer that I find many more uses for it- wish I found out about it years back. Pulp hook is still very useful e.g. for pulling pieces off a stack where I don't want fingers involved with falling pieces.

That's also a prime benefit of hookaroon- keeping hands out of harm's way. DAMHIKT.

Still gotta aim both carefully, avoiding having body parts down-range.

Same here. I hven't bent over to roll a round over to the truck or splitter since I got mine. Still learning how to "toss" a split with it. Get it in to hard and it doesn't release.

Harry K

Same here. I hven't bent over to roll a round over to the truck or splitter since I got mine. Still learning how to "toss" a split with it. Get it in to hard and it doesn't release.

Harry K

Harry the way I use mine is to stab the round whether it is in the back of the truck or in a pile on the ground . Then I lift or drag the round onto the splitter and move the ram enough to hold the round to make it easy to remove the Hookeroon . I can't toss a split with mine to save my life .I would end up with wood scattered all over the property.

here's a pic of the ones i use and sell,they are the "gripo" brand with replaceable tip. they work great!

CHECKPHOTOS013.jpg

less than $30. (the wooden handle one at the end is a short "pickaroon") :D

here's a pic of the ones i use and sell,they are the "gripo" brand with replaceable tip. they work great!

CHECKPHOTOS013.jpg

less than $30. (the wooden handle one at the end is a short "pickaroon") :D

Here's my "long handled" hookeroon (7') - great for unloading rounds or dragging them back to within reach of a regular one. No more crawling up into the bed to manhandle rounds to the back.

006-12.jpg

Working end:

004.jpg

Latest posts

Back