Log splitter bogs down in neutral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie_thief

Reaction score
I built a log splitter several years ago which ran fine. Last year the 8 hp B&S engine began running hard when the ram returned home. The pressure gauge indicated around 2300 psi. The motor had no problem while the ram was in motion, just when it was fully retracted. I couldn't pull start the motor unless the control valve was taken out of neutral. The last time I used it resulted in the failure of the lovejoy coupler (yes I should've known better). I have a Prince RD5000 2 spool control valve with an unused Power Beyond.

Power Beyond port has to go somewhere, That is the center core flow when cylinder is not moving, so it can be sent on to the next function when spool is in neutral. If it is blocked, the valve is essentially a closed center valve, so it forces pump flow across the relief valve at full pressure setting. Engine load and energy converted to heat.

When cyl is moving, the return flow goes to T port.

There may be a blockage inside the casting if something suddenly changed. If it has always been that way, there may be an internal plug that when you remove it, the PB is connected to T port. That is commonly done so valves can be convefrted back and forth and only stock half as many part numbers. If no internal plug you can remove, then run the PB port to the T line and tie together.

Thanks Kevin, by T port/line I assume you mean the outlet to the reservoir? Here is a Link to a page that has a PDF of the RD5000 Auto Cycle manual if you're curious about the layout. I routed everything according to the manual's recommended layout. I guess I'll be dusting off the splitter to do some testing.

Yes, T is tank line.
I have never personally used the autocycle valves, but understand their workings.
I didn’t realize you had autocycle, thought it was just a two spool cylinder circuit.
Auto cycle has some internal differences than the schematic shows. Ity is also more sensitive to the detent and RV settings.

First, check that the PB is connected to tank, and look inside the plug to make sure no trash is blocking the PB path to tank. Also, check the hose/tube from PB to tank, or put i a bucket. Make sure flow is out PB when in neutral. (I don’t think it is flowing now through PB)

Edit: does it work ok if you only use the first spool, moving in and out manually, not using both spools as the auto valve function?

I will be phone dark from Thurs to Monday, not that I am ignoring you.

Got it.
With regard to the first spool, I honestly don't remember as it's been a while. I'll find out once I finish my current project in the next week or so. Thanks again.

Back