Log splitter engine running rough

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Water will stay suspended in non ethanol fuel" Nope ,water ,a small or large amount will end up at the bottom of the tank.Alcohal will absorb the water and allow it to pass through a carb. or injector,into the cumbustion chamber and out the exhaust as steam.
Ethanol isn’t like isopropyl alcohol which is one of the better dry gas alcohols . Isopropyl will keep the water in suspension attached to the alcohol and can pass through the system and be burned off .
Ethanol will phase separate and settle to the bottom of the tank and cause major problems . This mixture Will not burn . AB272E6C-DF72-428D-A628-0BD2CAF3E282.jpeg

Even when you run them dry, problems happen because of the residuals of ethanol. an acquaintance called the other day snowblower only run on choke and then very rich ( after 17 years of no problems) he is no slouch on carbs( many years of motorcycles and other small engines) briggs 9hp no adj carb.
no luck, he has gotten a rebuild kit for it - haven't heard on the outcome. I know that I haven't had much luck on fixing those plastic carbs when they go south. Even running them through my ultra sonic cleaner and putting rebuild kit. I did remind him of the primer/ pulse line assembly, course I got a bit of rebuff on that. Now I am thinking that perhaps something with the governor. Time will tell. naturally we have a nasty storm looming come tue. evening thru thur. this week.

If it is surging than it might be the governor spring has come off.
if you took off the carb especially on a champion woodsplitter make sure you put the gaskets back on the way they came off

if you took off the carb especially on a champion woodsplitter make sure you put the gaskets back on the way they came off
the carb to air box gasket is very thick after market gaskets are thin

as has been said Seafoam and I would start using Startron to treat the ethanol.

yes check the easy things first check your spark arrester on most splitters the carb is not rebuildable you can try cleaning out the jets but i would buy another carb to rule out a bad carb then you should get the oem gaskets there are usually 3 gaskets the after market gaskets are too thin hope this helps let me know the carbs are very inexpensive

Latest posts

Back