Log splitter fuel effeciency, how much split per tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We just got done splitting a trailer load of wood with our MTD 20 ton splitter and was suprised how much it split on less than a tank of fuel. We filled a 16ft livestock trailer up, I am guessing around 1 cord of wood, maybe a little less. What I couldn't believe was it split all that on one tank of gas and it still had some fuel left. I wish I had a pic of the loaded trailer. It probably took around 1 to 1 1/2 hours to fill it up. Picture a 16ft livestock trailer with it filled up about half way up the side. Talk about a load, it was only filled halfway up and the tires were still squatting. Most of it was oak, some poplar and sycamore.

Normally we don't split that much at one time but I couldn't believe it can split that much on a tank of fuel. I am not sure how big the fuel tank is but I would guess a gallon or less. Just curious how much you guys can split on a tank of fuel and what kind of splitter are you using. How big of a difference does the tonnage make on fuel effeciency?

my homemade splitter has an OLD Wisconsin THD twin cylinder engine, about 29 ton, i get about 2 gallon per cord, or 1-1/2 cord per tank.
it definetly likes fuel, but the engine doesnt even change tune when the ram stalls, and im running a 28 GPM pump. so not very fuel efficient but its got plenty of power to do anything i need it to...

I split maybe 4 cords on one tank today with a splitfire 4460m me and 3 sons, tons of laughs and a few drops of blood here and there with all the wood that was flying...
She was humming but kept up to us no problem...

Last edited:
My little Huskee splitter has about a 1 quart gas tank. It will run for around an hour per tank which will usually get me somewhere between 1/3-1/2 a cord depending on the wood.

The Huskee will go more hours than I can, best guess about 4 hours with 2 of us splitting. The little Lickity has a hole in the tank so only fill about 1/2. Run it most of the day on that.

I get about 5 hours out of a tank on my Iron &Oak. In that time, I can split 2.5 - 3 cords on average.

I never measured the fuel usage of running my splitter, i run it off the remotes on my tractor and it seems to be pretty efficient.

standard.jpg

I like the fact that i'm running on diesel, i NEVER have fuel go bad or a carb problem! I don't have to maintain "another" engine and it always starts and runs perfectly... I'll take diesel over gas any day!

SR

The TW-6 will split about 3 cords on a full tank. But like Spidey said...I run out way before it does!
Although I haven't really kept track of fuel usage, I feel like the TW6 is doing better then 3 cords per tank. With a helper, I can easily put out 2 cords an hour.

So how much fuel does a 20hp honda use per hour?

I think I get about one and a half cord per quart of beans a half pan of corn bread. The gas is an extra side "benefit".

I cut, split, and stacked 2 - 7.5' x 12' trailer loads with help from my daughter and son in law Saturday. Here is a picture of one load. Both load were piled high. 2 cords per trailer load, on 3.5 gal of gas. Home made splitter with a 4 cylinder VW engine. Thats just under 1gal/cord. Started out at 11 degrees Sat AM.

Attachments

• VA 066.JPG
    VA 066.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • splitter hauler 007.JPG
    splitter hauler 007.JPG
    577.7 KB · Views: 32
Although I haven't really kept track of fuel usage, I feel like the TW6 is doing better then 3 cords per tank. With a helper, I can easily put out 2 cords an hour.

So how much fuel does a 20hp honda use per hour?

It may get more...just guessing based on my last bout of splitting. Not even sure if the tank was completely full. The auto in/out helps but I'm sure it would do a lot better with two guys running it rather than just me.

I have a 11 hp chonda and yesterday I split my dump trailer full (6 x 10 x 2' a lil heaped) and another half load when the splitter ran out of gas, good thing too cuz so did I.
I'm guessing about a cord and a 1/4. Not bad considering I was working alone and had to keep clearing the outfeed table and roll splits to the lift. I'm guessing I could do 2 cords with some help.
All in all not bad, and sure beats the alternative.
dave

Latest posts

Back