Log Splitter help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazzoner27

Reaction score
I own a log splitter from Northern Hydraulics... today I split about 4 cords and then trailered it home(about a ten minute drive). It was running great earlier, however I started it when I got home to split a few logs and the hydraulic wasn't very strong and it was spitting fluid through its vented cap(cap is on the resevoir). I have no idea what can be wrong besides possible air in the lines. Has this happened to anybody or are there any ideas out there? Firewood season is here and I dont wanna bring it to a shop if there is something stupid wrong with it, so I figured I'd find some pros. Thankyou... Brian

is the oil tank overfilled? possibly sitting at a slant putting the oil closer to the cap? when cycling you might be pushing too much fluid back into the tank if you filled it with the cyl extended, then pulling it back makes it puke as more oil goes back in the tank.

my splitter did the same thing today. fluid is only 3 1/2" from the screw. it was tipped on a slight angle and caused it to leak and spray out.

i would also check the oil filter to see if it is tight........when i got my splitter, the oil filter for the hydraulic fluid was junk.....i brought it to the auto parts store and cross matched it to an STP filter and has ben problem free since.

also...be sure you are using "NON-FOAMING" HYDRAULIC FLUID

TreeCo said:
I'm glad to hear it was so easy to solve. It still doesn't explain the loss of power you mentioned but hey.......that could have been imagination.

Dan

If the angle was so extreme that he was cavitating the pump, the hydraulics would have been weak. Just a thought.

Russ

Latest posts

Back