Log Splitter Question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where do we find them!! I know we all try to work safe but accidents do and can happen... I mean imagine slipping and falling on that thing.. you would need a flack jacket to stop it from splitting you!!!:dizzy:

Imagine a tree you are cutting down falling the wrong direction and you end up underneath it?

Imagine throwing a chain on your saw and it whips back and takes out the main artery in your thigh.

yup!

Point Taken, but there is accidents and avoidable occurance's.. I mean what is one of the first things guys who ask about saw's are told here... spend some $$ on PPE... and of course get a bigger saw!!!

Just seems like there would be a safer way to work.

log splitter storage question

just purchased a log splitter , would like to store in my garage, is it a good idea to store it vertical, have limited space will drain gas and engine oil before i do so, what do you think have braces on wall to keep from falling. any help would be welcome:msp_confused:

Hello All,
I dont know if this is the correct forum but im gonna ask anyway. I recently(just this year) started cutin wood. I only cut enough to have a couple fires in the summer and wood for the wood burning stove upnorth about a face cord a year.

Thanks in advance
Matt

If this is all the wood you anticipate cutting on a regular basis [a normal year, let's say], buying much of anything pricey to split wood is a waste unless you have the bucks and just wanna do it. But you said you wanted to keep the cost down, or something like that.

I have the usual collection of splitting means, including a double-bit axe, mauls, Fiskars axe, Honda-powered hydraulic splitter. We heat with wood and I cut and split maybe 7 to 8 cords a year. I use all the above, but mostly the Fiskars and the splitter. I could easily get by with just the Fiskars. They run around $40, sometimes on sale a bit less.

Unless you are physically unable to split or nearly so, any gizmo you buy will not be worth it. It either won't work worth a darn, or it will work great but tie up a buncha money. My hydraulic splitter could split the wood you use in a year in a few minutes. Works great, but it would be sitting there, unused, for 364 days a year.

If you simply can't stand the thought of splitting by hand, you have been given some options here on the forum. But the least-investment [$$$] option is pretty much limited to splitting with an axe or maul. Unless, though, you can find a used splitter someone is trying to get rid of. My brother-in-law just found a nice one in good shape [gasoline-engine model] for $500, probably would sell new for double that. It isn't a top-brand machine, but he only splits a cord or so a year and has developed serious shoulder problems. He found his on CL. But that is still $500 and I am supposing more than you wanna invest.

Now, if you are thinking you will be needing and using a lot more wood in the near future, different animal.

Last edited:
I think post 24 is new the rest is 2007

There is a wood heat or something like that on here not sure how it belongs in the chainsaw section. The hydraulics wouldn't care. Perhaps it is rack and pinion not hydraulic? I don't know about the engine. If it is the kind with wheels and a little trailer hitch one could make kind of a table to go over it.

Edit,, The hydraulic oil reservoir probably is vented and won't take kindly to being stood on end. All in all log splitters come in a lot of sizes shapes and configurations.

Last edited:
I noticed this is old.

For future refrence, in the slow season of my trade I help out at a hydraulic shop on the side. The cylinders on alot of MTDs' and Harbor Freight are quite thin. Roughly 1/8" thick wall. It doesn't take alot for them to split. I also see them with a ding on the cylinder body. That will take out the seals and hopefully not the piston. Just a heads up.

I know it's a very old reference about the Stickler, but I thought worth mentioning.
My dad and I had one, earlier version I guess as it didn't look as fancy (about 1980), that ran off the tractor PTO (they also had a model you replaced a car/truck wheel with and ran that way).
Anyway, what we found was that once it's screwed in to the wood, if it hits a knotty piece it can't split, and if your PTO isn't reversible, you're pretty much screwed. We cut and split a lot of locust and that happened, then the Stickler actually bent.
That's when we got a hydraulic splitter.

Latest posts

Back