Log Splitter Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
Any of you fellas know who makes the log splitter for craftsman?
Anybody have first hand experience with a "Powerhorse" splitter from NorthernTool?
Huskee from TSC?

Any advice on what to look for fellas? I just flipped a Honda Accord for a nice profit and I think Im gonna spoil myself a little : )

How big a round do you think one of those rapid fire splitters can handle, after watching the video of UncleMustaches firewood making kids, i have visions of my wife and daughters helping me, and his rapid fire machine looks like it works pretty quick on the little stuff, but I have a hand full of BIG stuff.

I dont know what the biggest round the Super Split will handle, but I just used mine today to split Elm and Caltalpa for my MIL. Split just under a cord. Biggest piece in the pile was a couple 26"-28" rounds. The SS handled it better than I did. Those big pieces are real ball B#$%^&. I was too lazy to go get the tractor like I usually do when I split. That won't happen again!

I have to say I was really impressed with the Super Split. I did have to hit those big pieces a couple of times, but that was still faster and easier than a hydro. My 75 yearold Uncle who is visiting, said he has never seen a splitter go thru elm like the SS did, and was really impressed at how much wood we split in the short time we were working.

The BIGGEST safety rule, is this splitter is a ONE person show. It is too fast to have someone else trying to grab or load pieces while someone else engages the splitter.

You want to "spoil" yourself, get the Super Split.

Someday I hope to spoil myself with a Supersplit. I split almost 3 cords of wood by hand on Sunday. Im glad to be back to my desk job today. Although with my mom helping, we did it in 4 hours.

I have the Huskee 22 tn with a briggs, and it has been good to me, but I regret not getting one with a larger gas tank and a little more power. I would recommend that (now Countyline with a Kohler) or a Dirty Hand Tools splitter - the 22 tn is on sale at Lowes right now. The DHT 28 ton is a beast and probably the best price and capable 28 ton if you want to spend more.

Have the huskee 22 ton. Nothing has stopped it yet. Mine had the vertical lawn mower engine and 11 gpm pump that I swapped for a 11hp honda and 16gpm pump after about 300 hours. Flies now. Tim Taylor Binford tools style.

The new ones have a horizontal kohler engine. My opinion is it's the best value for 1000. Look for a used one on craigslist. .

Huskee is made by speeco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed and cycle time is more important than you think. 14 seconds was long 18 is forever. Unless you have really knotty twisted stuff a 4" cylinder at 3100 psi 20-22 tons is plenty. Then if you upgrade the pump and engine later you can get your cycle times down to 9 seconds and burn through the cords.
But with that kohler engine you should be much better than the Briggs vert I started with.

I dunno... I work the sloooow 28T husky by myself. It's faster than me! (Ha...) the big stuff (48" rounds) in the vertical still makes me sweat just twisting them for the side splits. The smaller stuff at horizontal "usually" pops right away unless it's stringy white oak or twisted mulberry/elm. I usually leave a 2x at the base to guarantee a full split/tear with a hatchet at the standby. :)

My stuff is more 12-18" stuff in horizontal. With the 4-way wedge I can do a cord in well under an hour. Less but some 24-30" stuff in the vertical.

Your point is well taken that you should consider what it is your splitting.

Fyi, the $50ish 4 way TSC sells needs beefed-up on the top strap if you're planning on using it for hardwood. Welded another strap on mine but, it's only worthwhile if all your rounds are in the 12-18" range... I rarely have that small stuff but, it sure didn't take me long to figure out the upgrade necessity! Ha

I bought a 23 ton Champion log splitter at Rural King last fall. It was normally $999, but had a $100 off instant savings and a $200 in store credit i received in the mail 2 months later. I'm pretty sure its Chinese, but so fare so good, and I couldn't pass up the price.

OT; photo of beefed up TSC 4way top strap. Looks like crap; lost pwr to the welder; needs finished but; works great (*NOW) :)
fe69ebb034d89b3841fb1763c4f4c2b4.jpg

R'Lee, Im on my 6th mustang. This is the first one that looks decent, all the other 5 I didn't give two chints what they looked like as long as when I hit the pedal on the right the went like a bat outta hell. I would put all my $$ under the hood where it mattered and let the looks real in the next sucker. Function over looks every time in my book.

R'Lee, Im on my 6th mustang. This is the first one that looks decent, all the other 5 I didn't give two chints what they looked like as long as when I hit the pedal on the right the went like a bat outta hell. I would put all my $$ under the hood where it mattered and let the looks real in the next sucker. Function over looks every time in my book.

I think you posted in the wrong thread or I am really missing something.

Stepup, R'Lee showed a pic of his mod to a four way wedge, but was worried about how it looked. I assured him that I don't give a crap what something looks like as long it does its intended job. My other stangs in the past looked rough but went great. All I care about is how something performs. Except the wife of course, she looks great and cooks well.........

Back