log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the Ariens 27 ton but I just dont no if its worth it or not to spend the 1700 for the speeco 35 ton. PLus the speeco says its a 14 second split time vs. 20s with the ariens. Im not working fast but that is the 2 IM torn between. How is the work height on the ariens. Im 6 3" so dont want to be hunched over

Well, I'm 6'2" and I'm very comfortable splitting anything in the horizontal mode. For some reason, mine came from Home Depot with the retractable front wheel, so I use that to make the work area level if the splitter isn't on level ground.

I added the Ariens log cradle (they are much more sturdy than the ones I've seen on the Troy built units) and I will be adding the work table this summer.

The cycle time dosen't bother me - I'm 65 and not in that much of a hurry, but as was said above, that only helps me get into a smoother rhythm.

AND.... 6 months after I bought it at Home Depot, the control valve started leaking. Was directed to a local Gravely / Ariens dealer, where it was repaired in short order with no cost me.

I am very pleased with Ariens.

I was looking at the Ariens 27 ton but I just dont no if its worth it or not to spend the 1700 for the speeco 35 ton. PLus the speeco says its a 14 second split time vs. 20s with the ariens. Im not working fast but that is the 2 IM torn between. How is the work height on the ariens. Im 6 3" so dont want to be hunched over

As mentioned above.....You don't have to use the full stroke ( 22" I think ) I just retract the piston until the next split will fit then start the split. Because of the aggressive wedge on the Ariens the piece usually splits before full extension is reached. Cycling this way I would say is about 10-12 seconds.
Working height for me is good. I haven't used too many splitters in my time cutting wood. In the past I've rented Splitfires and Wallenstein, both with lower profiles and harder on my back.
The local Ariens dealer in my area rents them out. If you can find a place that sells them and rents them try renting to see if you like it.....might be able to work a deal with the retailer for a break on the rental price if you end up buying one.....Good Luck

OK cant make my mind up on 2 splitters. Ready to pull the trigger on the 27 ton ariens for 1600 or the 35 ton speeco with the 1450 b/s motor for 1695 free del. Need help what splitter do you guys think is built better. Im leaning toward the 35 ton speeco. Only hundred more but is it worth it?

One other thing that I like about the Ariens is the placement of the Subaru/Robin motor well back and out of the way of the work area. I also like the control lever being centrally positioned so I can work from either side easily. The motor is fairly quiet and sips gas.

[video=youtube;aE7k7NTNzn0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE7k7NTNzn0[/video]

OK cant make my mind up on 2 splitters. Ready to pull the trigger on the 27 ton ariens for 1600 or the 35 ton speeco with the 1450 b/s motor for 1695 free del. Need help what splitter do you guys think is built better. Im leaning toward the 35 ton speeco. Only hundred more but is it worth it?

First things first, both are good splitters in my opinion. lost of guys in my area have split thousands of cords with the speeco splitters so i know they stand the test of time.

if your a normal man then bigger is always better. its only 100 bucks and you get a whole (advertised) 8 tons more splitting force. that said, i have yet to run into anything that 20 ton (real force) wont split. even my little store bought Northern Tool Powerhouse 20T dual split will split anything i want to split. the only thing i wish my little one had was a taller wedge so i didnt have to use a hatchet to cut the strings. a taller wedge is worth alot. if i were in your shoes id spend the extra 100 just to have bragging rights.

im personally a fan of the Northstar brand from Northern Tool.

NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter — 30-Ton, 160cc | Log Splitters| Northern Tool + Equipment

the reasons i like these best is the Honda engines and the log stripper. alto the ability to run a 4 way wedge WITH the log stripper is really handy

1109_2_lg.jpg

1109_lg.jpg

Rural king splitter

I bought a 22 ton from rural king last spring. 22 ton had 700 dollars in; 200 dollars off and a 200 dollar in store gift card could not pass up. Split a bunch of wood in past year. My father, brother, brother-in law, and myself all burn.

The husky 35 ton is about 2000 and the speeco I found that is 35 ton for 1700 free del. Both have briggs on them 1450 model. What do you think is he difference. They look the same

Something fishy here. I have a husky 35 ton with a briggs 1650 engine.Happened to be at TSC today and looked at a 35 ton- 1650 briggs. Speeco site shows a 1650 briggs. Where is the 1450 comeing from? Has there been a change and the only place it's being talked about is here?

Something fishy here. I have a husky 35 ton with a briggs 1650 engine.Happened to be at TSC today and looked at a 35 ton- 1650 briggs. Speeco site shows a 1650 briggs. Where is the 1450 comeing from? Has there been a change and the only place it's being talked about is here?

There on a website called OMNI manufacturing. They have all different speeco ones with briggs or honda motors. The One I will be ordering monday is a 35 ton speeco with the 1450 b/s motor for 1695 free shipping. I think iys a good deal because TSC sells the husky for 2000 and not sure if you have to pay tax on that too.

I don't have the work table....yet! But I will be getting it. What I didn't know at the time, but the Gravely branded splitter comes with the work table and the log cradle.. The ariens does not. I've added the cradle which made a big difference. I use a DeWalt folding work table as a temporary solution , but the table will be added!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Currently, the Ariens comes with the "Cradle" on both sides, but not the extra "Work Table". AT least the 22 ton unit anyway.

I just saw brand new speeco 35 ton with b/s 1450 motor for just under 1700 free shipping

Last week I bought a speeco 28 ton with the B/S 1450 motor for $1350 at Farm and Fleet here locally. If you took out one of their credit cards you got another $100 off.

So far it seems good.
1. Excellent one pull starts hot or cold

The wedge could be another 3-4" taller in my opinion though.

Back