Log Winching Nose cone ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bar Nut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there a bullet shaped bumper or other device made to attach to the end of a winched log to make it more hang-up proof?

Skidding

this is sold here in sweden ,,,,,

attachment.php

ShoerFast said:
SWE#Kipp

Just one look at that thing and I can tell I will never grow-up,,,,,,, that thing is just made to be towed behind a snow-mo-bill 4 wheeler or a horse!
A frozen lake would add extra points!

Kevin
Pasture skiing!!! When we go out to flood-irrigate our pasture my boy likes to get towed behind the quad...that gadget would be a lot better than the piece of plywood we use now. But back to the thread...snipe the end of the log or get yourself a skidder or anything that elevates the end of the log. Too much ground skidding tears up the soil and contaminates the log with dirt and rock that shorten your chain life.;)

clearance said:
Snipe it with a saw. Snipe, funny word.
Yeah, but if you say it anywhere theres logging on the west coast they'll know what you mean. I had an uncle who's first job in the woods ,probably in the late 1800s,was sniping the skid end of redwood logs so the ox teams could pull them easier. Did his snipes with an ax...those guys were tough.

The image isn't opening. Anyone know what the item is?

love
nick

You quoted a post from 2006. I believe the site was hacked and photos were lost between then and now. You might try another search, I know this has been discussed since then. There are pictures out there. Good luck.

Google 'skidding cone', or find yourself a plastic barrel, preferably the ones with a slight taper to the bottoms. I spent nearly two Summers worth of weekends and one clutch, pulling pines off a steep slope with a rope and my truck, back in the day. With no real lift to speak of the plastic drum was a superb help (not perfect though) at snaking the logs around stumps, etc.

Back