log wizard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piney1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about a log wizard and I was wondering how well they work and what size saw you need to run them.

I would think you would want them on as small a saw as possible for light weight but I don't want to be underpowered either.

piney1 said:
I am thinking about a log wizard and I was wondering how well they work and what size saw you need to run them.

I would think you would want them on as small a saw as possible for light weight but I don't want to be underpowered either.

You should PM carvinmark. He showed us his log wizard setup at the Michigan GTG and he had some thoughts on how much saw it needs or wants.

If I remember right, his setup was on a 50cc saw.

Run mine with a Poulan 3000 (3cui/50cc). Instead of getting a longer chain like is recomended in the directions, I removed a replaceable tip nose from an old bar and used the same length chain. Worked fine.

I run a 257 Husky with mine, honestly I think it is a little on the heavy side. I used to run one on an old Mac that was small. The Husky makes short work of anything you want to hog down, including bark, much better than running a less powerful saw.
Mark

I think 50cc is plenty of power, could be a little smaller. When you use it you need to hold it up off the work a bit so it dos'nt dig in too fast, so saw weight is an issue, I find a 18-20" bar is about right for me.I usta run mine on a stihl 026, now its on a husky 51 (The husky air filter is much better than the stihl) when I use it to debark poles the volume of dust it throws is considerable. I would consider it almost indispensable for logwork. Great tool.
Russell

How would you rate the blades staying sharp in dusty, bark? How often do you have to sharpen/replace the blades? I think I heard they use a standard planer blade, can be picked up at any HD or Lowes?

Back