Logging woods full of pine & spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what a logger might pay for a large amount of tall, straight mature pine trees? I also have spruce trees as well. The land is located in Michigan.
Thanks for any advice :)

Check with your state forestry. Your timber needs to be cruised. The forester can determine the volume of your standing timber and go from there.

Check with your state forestry. Your timber needs to be cruised. The forester can determine the volume of your standing timber and go from there.

That's good advice. A forester will be able to tell you more about the value of your timber than we can. There are a lot of variables in figuring timber value and volume and you usually have to cruise it to be accurate.

Not everybody knows what the term cruising means.

It means counting, measuring, and even estimating defect to calculate how much wood you have to sell. Often the breakage will be figured in too. You could do a rough job yourself, but to get the latter two estimates, you need somebody with experience who knows the local conditions.

You'll probably have to pay somebody to cruise it for you. I say probably because I've helped out good friends for beer and hotdogs.

Thanks for that advice. I was wondering what the demand is for pine and spruce compared to another species like oak or cherry???

good advice. I just inherited some land in Arkansas that is loaded with pine. My family has been clear cutting it for years but noone ever says what they get. Any idea where you find someone to cruise your land? Specifically Southern Arkansas... yes there is an inumerable amount of jokes to be had.

good advice. I just inherited some land in Arkansas that is loaded with pine. My family has been clear cutting it for years but noone ever says what they get. Any idea where you find someone to cruise your land? Specifically Southern Arkansas... yes there is an inumerable amount of jokes to be had.

PM sent.

Back