Selling logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Near a friends place there’s a stand of what I’m pretty sure are spruce trees that are nearing the end of their life. These are skinny(about 10 inches on the butt)and tall would probably only be good for pulp wood anyone have an idea who I’d sell these too in southern Ontario?. This land is a mess and under new ownership as of last month I want to talk with the new owner about logging it out but need an idea of where to sell them first.

Near a friends place there’s a stand of what I’m pretty sure are spruce trees that are nearing the end of their life. These are skinny(about 10 inches on the butt)and tall would probably only be good for pulp wood anyone have an idea who I’d sell these too in southern Ontario?. This land is a mess and under new ownership as of last month I want to talk with the new owner about logging it out but need an idea of where to sell them first.
just have to search mills in your area, be sure to contact them first and find out ehat dia and lengths they want and what they accept

maybe find the locsl gov forester for locsl rules etc

What have you got for equipment? Pulp is not easy to produce in volume cutting by hand in my opinion.
Saws and a tractor. If I could just sell it as firewood I would but insurance companies will not cover stoves burning soft wood so it’s worthless for that.

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in a while
What that they won’t cover a house that you are burning soft wood in? Not many would burn it anyway when we have a good selection of hardwood here. Most soft wood ends up in a big pile in a field and is burned off before planting starts around here.

Saws and a tractor. If I could just sell it as firewood I would but insurance companies will not cover stoves burning soft wood so it’s worthless for that.
Wut?
Anyone know what the price is roughly right now?
You're going to have to find out on your local market, Spruce is worthless here, and it grows just fine too, just worthless.

Wut?

You're going to have to find out on your local market, Spruce is worthless here, and it grows just fine too, just worthless.
Seems like most wood is worthless here unless it’s already made into slabs or boards. One buyer I emailed is not buying pulp wood at all right now. I don’t see much as far as board foot in these trees could be wrong.

I'll agree that spruce isn't worth much for firewood, but if what you say about burning softwood is true, most of the wood heating population of the western half of North America wouldn't have insurance.

I'll agree that spruce isn't worth much for firewood, but if what you say about burning softwood is true, most of the wood heating population of the western half of North America wouldn't have insurance.
My insurance company won’t do it anyway hardwood or no wood. think it also depends on the softwood some are better then others.

What do you mean ever shooed for insurance hard to find one that will cover a wood stove/furnace. Anyway this thread is about selling pulp wood let’s try to keep it that way.
Must be a Canadian thing. Everybody heats with wood around here (basically all softwood) and most have insurance.

many insurance co require installation of a solid fuel appliance by a lic professional, or that the installation is certified as up to all codes by same. Sometimes they require thier own inspector to view said installtion. Over the years I have run into few of these so called inspectors that haven't a clue as well as those that are up to snuff. your local fire dept is a good source for inspection as the code inspectors for the local autority are not the best choice, mostly lacking education in this area.

many insurance co require installation of a solid fuel appliance by a lic professional, or that the installation is certified as up to all codes by same. Sometimes they require thier own inspector to view said installtion. Over the years I have run into few of these so called inspectors that haven't a clue as well as those that are up to snuff. your local fire dept is a good source for inspection as the code inspectors for the local autority are not the best choice, mostly lacking education in this area.
I can tell you with complete confidence that that is not the case in rural NE Ohio or in North Idaho.

Depends on your insurance co. Most of them charge a little bit extra for a solid fuel appliance if located indoors. don't know what they do with owb system. Then there are those that just flat out refuse to insure anything with solid fuel appliance. I also know that rules are a bit stricter in our northern neighbor and it varies some by provinces.

Back