Logrite 60" can't hook rocks!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked one of these bad boys up today and people weren't lieing about the size of the handle on these things. Messed around with a little tonight with the headlamp to test it out and it is wonderful. Will make rolling eucalyptus logs of my pile easier. Pickaroon is next then probably the peavey. Anybody else have one got any good pro tips or tricks for these beyond the basic usage of them.

that's a good looking saw John.;) Ive wanted to pick one of these log rites up too, but cant make my mind up between the cant hook and peavy.

that's a good looking saw John.;) Ive wanted to pick one of these log rites up too, but cant make my mind up between the cant hook and peavy.
You know if you roll smaller stuff at all say under 8" get a cant hook if you roll only large round go with the peavy i can see the benefits of the prying action of the point. Though i just carry a 6ft demo bar with me instead. If you roll anything smaller the peavy point will knock the grip loose on the log. I like my cant and may end up with a peavy. And i gotta show that thing off when i can my GF even laughed cause i had to pose the MM sticker side towards the camera.

Yea
had my Bailey's Peavy for something like 25 yrs...still on the original hickory handle...and been used to death :p
this tool combined with a 4.5' Cant hook and hookeroon are indispensable, IMO, for a wood cutter.
The more you use your peavy/cant hook the more you learn what can be done with one. I can flop a 3'+ diameter oak, Euc round with relative ease from flat to on end ready to noodle. A longer handle gives you more leverage on big rounds and a shorter handled Cant is better for smaller ones. Play with manipulating a big round...you can spin it, turn it, roll it, flop it, whatever...all by yourself. These tools are not just for 'rolling' logs ;)

I've even hooked my winch line to my peavy to roll a really heavy or stuck log...just make sure to position the line right at the metal part...not the end of the handle :p
Yeah ive figured out a few methods to use it already as you have explained. I took an otherwise imobile logs and moved them from difficult point down and all over my cutting deck. i love this thing and love what it can do with just me behind it. the hook point knocks the bark off the eucs very well.

Dont get me wrong i looked a
Like I said, I've been meaning to buy one for a few years. Then once I saw your thread, that was all I needed. Just a good reminder of one of those things I knew I needed, so went and bought one. Thanks for the reminder!!

Most of the wood I will be moving will be in the 16-30" variety. The 40" stuff I am going after tomorrow is the exception for sure! This cant hook will wrap it's jaws around 30" and under wood most of it's life.

Don't be dissing :) :) the o44 to much, they are pretty respected around here. I have two of them. Those fire dept guys probably didn't know what hit them,,, well you have that oval sticker on y0ur 272, from TN, right?

I like my local stihl dealer and all, but they almost never have anything in stock I need. They more cater to the homeowner and farm saws then pro saws, that and when I make the trip up there and back just driving alone is going to kill 2 hours, most times, time I go there, shop and get back 3 hours or more is gone! So given I live in BFE, it is better/cheaper to buy on line wait a few days and have it brought right to my door.
Dont get me wrong i have usedthe very saw they were trying to use many times when i voluteered at that department, but after getting a ported saw im in love, and the stock 044 aint gettin any of that love. I was a cuttin fool. I have a feeling ill be getting more calls in the future from them, as i am right down the road and on file there.

I faced the same decision and ended up going with a 48" cant hook. I liked that it had 2 'biting' edges, which allows for dragging smaller stuff. It saves me from having to climb into the bed of my truck to pull out rounds.
Another thing I noticed is that the end of the peavey/cant hook looks like its replaceable, which makes me wonder if the cant hook could be easily converted to a peavey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I faced the same decision and ended up going with a 48" cant hook. I liked that it had 2 'biting' edges, which allows for dragging smaller stuff. It saves me from having to climb into the bed of my truck to pull out rounds.
Another thing I noticed is that the end of the peavey/cant hook looks like its replaceable, which makes me wonder if the cant hook could be easily converted to a peavey.

Here's what I'm talking about
5fb6a0735b79410d1ee736af4b6dc49c.jpg

I does look like you may be able to switch it over to a peavey if it would work that would be brilliant. It feels like a tube handle but it's incredibly rigid. Though big logs weighing enough to slide my "come-along" attached ford ranger across the ground were a breeze to move. I've put some use on mine and find the cant hook works on everything I've dealt with the peavey seems great but at this point in time I can't merit it's purchase with how well the cant hook work.

I couldn't agree more with what a great tool these are. I went with the peavey, and made a custom point for it. The point mounts like the log jack, and can be used with or without it, although I virtually never use the log jack. Kind of made it into a hybrid peavey/cant hook. A real life changer/back saver for moving wood around.

Attachments

• 20150220_161617.jpg
    20150220_161617.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20150220_161626.jpg
    20150220_161626.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 30
Back