logsplitter I-beam Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Going to be building a log splitter can any one tell me what the difference between a 8x8 I-beam of 40lbs per foot vs. 8x8 I-beam of 58lbs per foot. The difference in price would be only 60 dollars more for the xtra weight. the cylinder I will be using is a prince gladiator with a 6 inch bore 3 inch shaft and a 24 inch stroke. Is the 58lbs per foot beam to much over kill for this piston. It seems to be around a 42ton set up
thanks

With that kind of tonnage I think that the decision would be straight-forward: go as strong as possible!

Out of curiosity, what are you splitting that requires that big of a cylinder and that kind of tonnage? A multi-split wedge (4-6-8-way?)? What kind of cycle speed to you anticipate having with that big of a cylinder?

cycle speed should be somewhere in the 12 sec range but calculations and actuals are always different. The wedge would most likely be a 4 way but 6 way would be nice. the wood is almost all oak 20 inch with some other ones thrown in. I felt it would be cheaper to build one rather then buy one. My estimate would be 2500 dollars give or take. the beam is only 180 for a 8x8 6 foot 58lb. per foot. The most expensive part of the whole machine will be the cylinder and the engine. I was thinking 13hp honda, 22gpm, 6bore 3in shaft 24 in stroke, 25 gallon oil tank. 2inch end plate. If this comes out well I was thinking of making them and selling them but don't know what you could charge for this type of machine. I see some in excess of 5k. I believe build something once and do it right. Store bought machines always look nice but they are inexpensive for a reason.

The 58lbs.per foot will have thicker flanges and web than the 40lbs per foot. I ca'nt tell you the dimensions but the place where you are buying the beams will know them.

The W8 x 40 is 8.25 inches deep,
The W8 x 58 is 8.75 inches deep.

The Flange Width on the W8 x 40 is slightly over 8 1/16" (8.070)
The Flange Width on the W8 x 58 is slightly less than 8 1/4" (8.220)

The Flange thickness on the 40 is .560" (nearly 9/16)
The Flange thickness on the 58 is .810" (nearly 13/16)

The Web thickness on the 40 is .360 (nearly 3/8)
The Web thickness on the 58 is .510 (slightly over 1/2)

an 8 inch tall i beam isn't very much.

get someone to do the calcs, but I bet the lighter version of a 10 inch beam would be stronger for what we do

this sounds like spec's for my 35 ton huskee splitter purchased at TSC for $1,500.
don't think I could build this for less than that.

cycles times are 15-16 second range with 12.5hp, 6in ram. pump is rated to 16gpm, but is pumping out 22.5 gpm according to cycle times.

beam size is 8x10in. 6in is way too big for this size pump. I'd prefer a 5in ram and get faster cycle times. either one will give plenty of splitting power for any size log I'm able to belly up to splitter.

sure wish I could put on a four way option without killing warranty.

huskee 35 ton 4.JPG

cycle speed should be somewhere in the 12 sec range but calculations and actuals are always different. The wedge would most likely be a 4 way but 6 way would be nice. the wood is almost all oak 20 inch with some other ones thrown in. I felt it would be cheaper to build one rather then buy one. My estimate would be 2500 dollars give or take. the beam is only 180 for a 8x8 6 foot 58lb. per foot. The most expensive part of the whole machine will be the cylinder and the engine. I was thinking 13hp honda, 22gpm, 6bore 3in shaft 24 in stroke, 25 gallon oil tank. 2inch end plate. If this comes out well I was thinking of making them and selling them but don't know what you could charge for this type of machine. I see some in excess of 5k. I believe build something once and do it right. Store bought machines always look nice but they are inexpensive for a reason.

this sounds like spec's for my 35 ton huskee splitter purchased at TSC for $1,500.
don't think I could build this for less than that.

cycles times are 15-16 second range with 12.5hp, 6in ram. pump is rated to 16gpm, but is pumping out 22.5 gpm according to cycle times.

beam size is 8x10in. 6in is way too big for this size pump. I'd prefer a 5in ram and get faster cycle times. either one will give plenty of splitting power for any size log I'm able to belly up to splitter.

sure wish I could put on a four way option without killing warranty.

huskee 35 ton 4.JPG

That looks like an awkward slide design to me. What happens as the scrap builds up in that tray? Does it push out through a hole not visible?

Harry K

not true, it's an excellent design! sides cradles log so logs stay in position. there's holes near base for stuff to fall out. scraps building up is a non-issue. ya got 35 tons pushing scraps out of the way.

almost never split in horizontal position anyways. pretty much all my splitting is done vertically, so I don't have to lift log.

routinely split 3ft + logs, that would kill ya without some type of log lifter.

northern tool 37ton splitter with 4 way is another solid splitter for the $$. aprox. $2300 for me. others have paid $1,900.

That looks like an awkward slide design to me. What happens as the scrap builds up in that tray? Does it push out through a hole not visible?

Harry K

You're right 046, that Huskee is a great splitter. The slide is a non issue also. Literally a couple of brushes with the hand and chips/bark are gone. We took some 8" diameter silver maple and cut a 30" pieces in half. Very impressive.

I would buy one of these, but a friend has one and told me if I provide the wood, he would provide the splitter. I really enjoy cutting with him so that was a no brainer for me.

42 tons!!! Overkill...

Sometimes overkill is a good thing:biggrinbounce2:

I would go with the largest, heaviest beam I could find/afford.

For what it is worth, I have a splitter with a 5" sitting on a 4" by 8" beam. It had to be re-inforced with adding steel to both sides of the web.

It still bends a bunch (about 1 inch) around 20 tons.

Unless you are dead set on the 6 inch cylinder, I would reccomend the 5" cylinder. Plenty of tonnage, not too terribly slow, and cheaper.

As for your engine, go check Smallenginewarehouse.com I have seen some good prices on there! I got a Kohler 15 from them, runs like a dream.

-Pat

Back