Logsplittersource.com - OK or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking to the quality of Brave splitters. I have a 26 tons unit with an 8 HP Briggs engine. I have used this for the last two years with no problems and I am very happy with it. I would have perferred the Honda engine but the Briggs Intek has been fine so far.

The formula is Hp.= GPM X PSI divided 1714 x % pump efficiency.

The 2-stage pumps are 85% efficient.

When a 2-stage pump down shifts it will continue at approximately 1/4 it's rated gpm.

Triptester - now I'm confused. If you have a 28gpm 2 stage pump, this pump takes 8hp (approx.) to get to 600 psi, where it kicks down to the second stage. The second stage, running at 1/4 of it rated 28 gpm = 7 gpm. A 7 gpm pump (according to your formula) requires 8.7 hp (rounded up) to run at 2500 psi. So basically this means an 8 or 9 hp engine should run a 28 gpm pump right? I would have to see it to believe it. My 16 gpm pump if adjusted to 2500 psi would bring my 8 hp to its knees and 28 gpm is a long dang way from that. I personally made a call to barnes (they are local to me) and they suggested a 14 hp min. for a 28 gpm pump. That is the combo that I am looking at adding to my own splitter (to increase cycle times over the 16 gpm).

I am not trying to ruffle feathers, but something does not add up. Even Northern Tools says the 16 gpm requires 8+ hp. Hmmmmm - must investigate!

The formula is from Northern's catalog.

When motor recommendations are made they figure the maximum rated psi plus allow for actual continual hp. rather than advertised hp.

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner:cheers:

Did a little digging. Even a 12 hp cast iron Kohler engine only has a continual hp output rating of 9.2 hp (9.6 from one source). And Kohler is a pretty reputable name is small engines. I could imagine my 8hp Briggs to be some where around 6 "true" hp. As well as most pumps are rated at 3000 psi even though most log splitters relief valves are set at 2250 psi from the factory (it is adjustable in most cases). The pieces of the puzzle are forming a picture :monkey:

So to continue with the saga of the electric motor on a splitter with a 28 gpm pump, it would really need an 8 hp electric to obtain 2500 psi from the pump. At 2250 it would still require an 8hp BECAUSE is needs to get to the 600 psi at 28 gpm before it can kick into the second stage. I think we are getting somewhere. Where that is....I don't know.:rock:

I checked the factory specs for the 2-stage pumps and found the 16 gpm and smaller pumps drop to 1/4 the rated gpm at 650 psi.

The 22 gpm pump drops to 1/2 the rated gpm. at 650 psi.

The 28 gpm pump drops to 1/3 the rated gpm. at 650 psi.

I checked the factory specs for the 2-stage pumps and found the 16 gpm and smaller pumps drop to 1/4 the rated gpm at 650 psi.

The 22 gpm pump drops to 1/2 the rated gpm. at 650 psi.

The 28 gpm pump drops to 1/3 the rated gpm. at 650 psi.

Yes, the picture is getting clearer. 28/3 = 9.3 gpm

Using the formula above- 9.3 gpm = 13.8hp

So the 28 gpm pump really does need a 14+ hp engine to obtain its 3000 psi rated output.:dizzy:

Now that I found some new specs I'm in trouble . Picked up a 22 gpm pump thinking I might be able to push it with a 9hp. Robin using the 1/4 theory. Guess it's time to look for a bigger engine.

Now that I found some new specs I'm in trouble . Picked up a 22 gpm pump thinking I might be able to push it with a 9hp. Robin using the 1/4 theory. Guess it's time to look for a bigger engine.

When I was building mine, I reviewed most of the big brands on the market. Seems like they were all using the approx same hp to gpm. Roughly gpm/2 equals the hp for most gas engines used on splitters. So I would probably be looking in the neighborhood of 11hp + for that pump. Also, you may want to do the math again, but if the 22 gpm pump kicks into the second stage at 1/2 rated (11 gpm) as opposed to the 1/3 or 1/4 of the other sizes of pumps you may want to rethink the hp. To me, it doesn't make sense though. If the 28 gpm drops by 1/3 (9.3 gpm), that means the 22 gpm pump actually puts out more gpm and will require more hp than the 28 gpm when the second stage kicks in (11 gpm). Doesn't make sense I tell ya.

I was very surprised when I found those specs and I,m hoping it was a misprint.

I have been working on building log splitters since I retired ,as a hobby. I'm on version number 5. The goal is a splitter that is relatively inexpensive yet has speed and all the bells and whistles.

I was very surprised when I found those specs and I,m hoping it was a misprint.

I have been working on building log splitters since I retired ,as a hobby. I'm on version number 5. The goal is a splitter that is relatively inexpensive yet has speed and all the bells and whistles.

It might be worth a call to Barnes direct. They had a pretty good customer service dept.

If the 9hp motor and 22 gpm pump setup don't work I'll put the 16 gpm pump back on. Sell it and start on version #6.

Damn the wife is going to lock me out of the work shop . Oh well!

If the 9hp motor and 22 gpm pump setup don't work I'll put the 16 gpm pump back on. Sell it and start on version #6.

Damn the wife is going to lock me out of the work shop . Oh well!

Man, I feel like I hijacked this thread....anyhow
triptester, I have nothing to do with these guys, but have heard that its pretty decent stuff, If it was running my iron lung, I probably wouldn't trust it, but for a log splitter, I have been considering it. Click on the gas engine link.

www.carrollstream.net

I put one of them Honda clone engines on a splitter a couple a years ago . I used the splitter for a year than sold it. The next owner had it for about a year an the engine failed. Never found out what went wrong with it.

Don't remember the brand name but the model started with "JD---"

Latest posts

Back