Lointailings long term affect.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We all know what liontailing is, and the damage it does, but today I saw first hand some long term effects.
We had a call this morning about a big Oak branch that broke and was blocking a driveway. We had just remove all the ladder fuel and under growth a month or so ago. from their small grove of live oaks.
Seven or eight years ago a company went in there and lointailed all the Oaks. Back to today, a big, long, branch broke in half, taking out another big branch, then blocking their access road.
After bucking up the mess I was looking at the break from up in the tree. The whole top of the branch was sun sculled. Bark pulling off easily. I could see where maybe a 1/4 of it was dead from the top down. The area where the break was had Ambrosia beetles who had settled in the dead wood, this further weaken the branch. The wood around their gallery's was pulpy halfway or more through the limb. Talk about long term affects. The trees look alright now, but how many more branches are compromised?
This opened my eyes some. Now I really hate liontailing.

We all know what liontailing is, and the damage it does, but today I saw first hand some long term effects.
We had a call this morning about a big Oak branch that broke and was blocking a driveway. We had just remove all the ladder fuel and under growth a month or so ago. from their small grove of live oaks.
Seven or eight years ago a company went in there and lointailed all the Oaks. Back to today, a big, long, branch broke in half, taking out another big branch, then blocking their access road.
After bucking up the mess I was looking at the break from up in the tree. The whole top of the branch was sun sculled. Bark pulling off easily. I could see where maybe a 1/4 of it was dead from the top down. The area where the break was had Ambrosia beetles who had settled in the dead wood, this further weaken the branch. The wood around their gallery's was pulpy halfway or more through the limb. Talk about long term affects. The trees look alright now, but how many more branches are compromised?
This opened my eyes some. Now I really hate liontailing.

In some ways I think lion tailing is worse than topping. The effects of topping are easy to see, liontailing side effects are more difficult to asess unless you're in the tree. I would say close to 85% of the "summer limb drop" calls I go on are liontailed limbs that have failed due to decay on the top side of the branch.

We went back there yesterday to remove dead wood and lighten up some of the tips. I noticed the branches that were liontailed the worse(judging by sun burn damage.) were the long hard to reach ones. The tips were untouched and quite heavy.
One tree inparticular, the same one that had dropped the large branch had previously lost several other large branches in the recent past. The HO said that its been shedding its branches. I'm kind of barred from talking to the customers about their trees because were referred by a consulting arborist, and the boss thinks I'd be stepping on toes, so I couldn't explain to them what was happening to their trees.
Had a little scare in the,"shedding tree,'' when I put my rope up in the top (50ft or so)and SRTed up there and seen it was all rotting and decaying and holding up a lot of long heavy branches including the one I was tied too. This tree too was badly sun sculled.

Several oak trees in my back yard have 90-95% of the branches on one side facing the sun. One will be taken down since too close to the house. The other ones I've started to remove the lower branches. Lion tailing supposed to be harmful and more prone to wind damage. However, what choices do I have other than taking them down. All the weight of the branches on one side aims directly at the house.

Donnie

We went back there yesterday to remove dead wood and lighten up some of the tips. I noticed the branches that were liontailed the worse(judging by sun burn damage.) were the long hard to reach ones. The tips were untouched and quite heavy.
One tree inparticular, the same one that had dropped the large branch had previously lost several other large branches in the recent past. The HO said that its been shedding its branches. I'm kind of barred from talking to the customers about their trees because were referred by a consulting arborist, and the boss thinks I'd be stepping on toes, so I couldn't explain to them what was happening to their trees.
Had a little scare in the,"shedding tree,'' when I put my rope up in the top (50ft or so)and SRTed up there and seen it was all rotting and decaying and holding up a lot of long heavy branches including the one I was tied too. This tree too was badly sun sculled.

See? You are kinda fooling yourself thinking you want to go get a " real job" at a " real company" with a " real resume" and " real education".

For one, most companies just want a man in the tree to make some cuts to get them paid. Secondly, you allready are where you want to be. You are getting where you want to be confused with where you think you need to be.
You don't need a resume, just do what you have to to get a face to face with the leaders of a company that you want to work at. Call them up and say" I would really like to get together with you". If they don't call back then you call them back. Write some stuff down so you won't forget what you want to tell them and give them a few phone numbers of people who will back you up. If the topic of why you got fired from a job comes up tell them it was because they made you compromise your integrity as a arborist... which actually just might be the truth.

Last edited:
Back