Long bar covers - scabbards???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I see guys with 24" + bars with 20" bar covers on them and 6" of chain sticking out. Does anyone make a scabbard for the real long bars, or is this something i am going to have to look into making. I have an idea for a nice fit cover from sheetmetal for the long bars. Just wondering...Bob

Stihl makes some extentable covers for longer bars, and I have seen one that you added 12" sections too make them longer. I just use the 20" covers, protects the tip which I think takes most of the abuse anyway.

http://www.firecache.com/prodinfo.asp?number=75.8215 This is a web site for firefighters and their equipment. You can get a nice canvas cover with tool pack inside of it; from 20" to 38". Has a nice piece of leather that covers the front of the saw; and, a strap with velcro that holds it on to the handle of the saw. $43-$46. I have one for my MS361. I like the tool and extra chain pocket; keeps me from carrying around another bag.

Last edited:
bar cover

Bob Wright said:
I see guys with 24" + bars with 20" bar covers on them and 6" of chain sticking out. Does anyone make a scabbard for the real long bars, or is this something i am going to have to look into making. I have an idea for a nice fit cover from sheetmetal for the long bars. Just wondering...Bob
sheetmetal? aluminium down spout 5" will crush up to fit almost any bar. why use steel? Cheap and sort of redneck but then do rednecks have downspouts on their houses or do they take them off to shower when it rains?

Newfie said:
I would think a sheet metal scabbard would sort of defeat the purpose,no?
I was thinking of the metal with a sliver of foam glued to each side, it would open to sandwich the bar, then have some sort of hasp to hold it shut. It could be made 60" easily...Bob

I take my old garden hoses that leak, and are no longer suitable for use, just slit em down one side, cut to fit over top bottom and nose of the bar, and use some creativity on the fastener to hold everyting in place with.

Cheap and creative recycling method combined.

Hey mule,

I love your sig,
spacemule said:
Sometimes a guy just has to say too bad, but I`m not going with the status quo or polite civility in the face of willful ignorance or plain stupidity.
Very profound thoughts are captured within for a change.

Russ

Advise from onelick is the best.
4" old fire hose is a super cover.
Sweet and cheap if you can find it.

I can get all the fire hose i need from work, but i was thinking of something nice looking too...Bob

I have previously made bar and chain scabbards from the cardboard boxes that our beer comes in and they do a nice job not to forget the nice big Lion Red/waikato logo all over it:D all it takes to hold it together is a few staples and best part it is all free (except for having to buy the booze first)

Bob Wright said:
I can get all the fire hose i need from work, but i was thinking of something nice looking too...Bob
I'm nice looking.....

Seriously, the fire hose is comfortable when you have to throw it over your shoulder and walk for awhile. I have this aversion to razor sharp teeth that close to my jugular vein....
Onelick

I use my orange Stihl covers I get two each time a get a saw. Our crew of fallers call them "Condoms". But, I will say I had a firehose cover once and loved it. I should find some more. Old pant legs work pretty well too.

Latest posts

Back