Longshoreman strike in CA, overseas orders are stuck in transit!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already told you what I think of unions.
I will not sell out my beliefs for better pay. That is first and foremost.
I also have a real problem working for people that enable laziness, corruption, inept workers. Their is a reason I own my business. I control how it is run and the standards that we adhere to. I am smart, work my +ss off, am determined, I know who enables my success/ give thanks to those that do. I will be just fine. I don't need a union propping me up.

My mother died when I was nine years old, my dad was a hard working union man, he lost the house due to medical bills. I decided I would not let any man decide where I would work or how much I would be paid. It worked out O.K.

Except for those dark days after they fired all of us and I couldn't make it to the top of the grassy knoll because my hip was bad.

Working in engineering, math had always solved my problems.
I was sure 7.62 x 39 would at least prevent it happening again in the future.
I was very close......

It all worked out. My next job paid twice as much.
Ok, seeing your edit, I'm not sure where your nonsensical reference to ammunition and tinfoil hat conspiracy makes any sense. If you are trying to intimidate me, you are barking up the wrong tree. I am well equipped to defend myself and my family against any threats.

I installed the interiors in the last of the Corvairs at Fisher Body and I machined the firing mechanisms for M-16 rifles at the Willow run Hydromantic's plant during the Vietnam war. It doesn't make any difference. I have seen a man placing transmission valve bodies on a conveyor belt standing in front of a heat treating furnace roaring over 100 decibel's for 10 hours a day in unbelievable heat and he is getting paid less than the guys drinking coffee/booze and playing cards? That is just plain wrong.
Nice strawman. So you worked at Fisher in the 1960s and you want to pretend that gives you any insight as to how many hours are spent building a car 40 years later? What a joke.

So you "do engineering work" are you an engineer? What college did you graduate from and what is your degree?

I haven't seen that. Can you give us some examples?
Absolutely. It happens all the time. The vast majority of my union friends are pro-gun, pro-life, conservatives and despise anything to do with the current president. Yet, the political candidates the union leadership backs are progressive liberals. Case in point. The AFL-CIO in Alaska backed an "independent" in our last Governor election. This guy has a history of being against the oil industry in Alaska, having made a living suing the industry as a lawyer. Almost all skilled trades and construction in Alaska is related to the oil industry. Why on earth would they back that guy? The AFL-CIO backed Democrat Mark Begich for our senator 6 years ago. He did ZERO to help any cause the union or any Alaskan cared about. He did manage to cast the deciding vote on Obamacare.

Absolutely. It happens all the time. The vast majority of my union friends are pro-gun, pro-life, conservatives and despise anything to do with the current president. Yet, the political candidates the union leadership backs are progressive liberals. Case in point. The AFL-CIO in Alaska backed an "independent" in our last Governor election. This guy has a history of being against the oil industry in Alaska, having made a living suing the industry as a lawyer. Almost all skilled trades and construction in Alaska is related to the oil industry. Why on earth would they back that guy? The AFL-CIO backed Democrat Mark Begich for our senator 6 years ago. He did ZERO to help any cause the union or any Alaskan cared about. He did manage to cast the deciding vote on Obamacare.
Sounds like the union representative backed his constituents best interests. In the face of corporate mischief. Good for him he sounds like an honorable man.

Sounds like the union representative backed his constituents best interests. In the face of corporate mischief. Good for him he sounds like an honorable man.
What? I thought the union was there to represent it's members. If there is no industry to work in, how is that supporting the membership? Serious question.

What? I thought the union was there to represent it's members. If there is no industry to work in, how is that supporting the membership? Serious question.
He only replies with union propaganda.

Well we have learned that Stephen C is not an engineer but pretends to be, believes in an alternative universe that doesn't exist, projects his short time in the automotive industry in the 1960s to make him an expert in today's auto industry, and makes idol threats on peoples lives who don't agree with him.

See you clowns in the morning.

After eight pages the guys who hate unions seem jealous and spread rumors and hearsay as fact and are happy with their meager wages and the pro union guys make a better living and have great benefits. It's real simple just look at the trend in America, when unions were strong, we all prospered, now that they are dying so is the middle class, it's right there in front of you.

I know..slightly, a couple of guys who work in the longshoreman's union. They are young, and starting out. Their dad belonged and was one of the higher paid guys when he died. He had to travel a lot for that wage. He became ill and died. The union has rules that his card can be passed on down to his children so one son got in that way. The other also got in. They don't make the $140,000 a year. In fact, they work part time because they are starting out. I'll try to talk more with them if they come to the next gathering.

This area had unionized lumber mills and unionized logging crews when I first came here in the 1980s. I am an evil, retired, gubmint worker for those of you who do not know. In the 1980s, the wages for logging crews were 3 times what we "foresters" made. Then things went bad. The logging pretty much came to a halt due to enviro law suits. Mills were sold, shut down for a couple months and folks were hired back at lower wages and benefits. The mills were no longer union. Eventually, five out of eight mills shut down forever and were dismantled with parts going overseas. This wasn't because of unions, but because of a decrease in available timber.

The big company logging crews which were unionized were also done away with. The mills contracted out logging to the lowest bidding loggers.

My job here was done away with too. I moved away to work elsewhere.

After years in exile I came back in 2005. My wages had increased, the logging wages stayed at the same or less than in the 1980s. This isn't just due to the doing away with of unions. I can't say that. I think it is a combination of all the above mentioned things.

We saw the race downward start when work that was done by Forest Service crews--precommercial thinning, brush piling, and some tree planting was ordered to be contracted out. The contractors did OK at first, but the bidding competition became fierce and some of the bids were ridiculously low. That's when we started seeing folks from the southern countries on crews, and there were a few incidents of illegals being kept against their will and forced to work, and not paid much if anything.....slavery.

Things have improved a bit. We were told to check for documentation of workers, ask them how much they are paid, etc. Some contracts consider past work quality as a bid item so lowest bid does not guarantee the award of the contract.

Maybe the private business world needs to hit the bottom too before they realize that you get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: Not all private businesses treat their workers badly. Those that have good benefits and wages seem to have a better quality worker.

I know..slightly, a couple of guys who work in the longshoreman's union. They are young, and starting out. Their dad belonged and was one of the higher paid guys when he died. He had to travel a lot for that wage. He became ill and died. The union has rules that his card can be passed on down to his children so one son got in that way. The other also got in. They don't make the $140,000 a year. In fact, they work part time because they are starting out. I'll try to talk more with them if they come to the next gathering.

This area had unionized lumber mills and unionized logging crews when I first came here in the 1980s. I am an evil, retired, gubmint worker for those of you who do not know. In the 1980s, the wages for logging crews were 3 times what we "foresters" made. Then things went bad. The logging pretty much came to a halt due to enviro law suits. Mills were sold, shut down for a couple months and folks were hired back at lower wages and benefits. The mills were no longer union. Eventually, five out of eight mills shut down forever and were dismantled with parts going overseas. This wasn't because of unions, but because of a decrease in available timber.

The big company logging crews which were unionized were also done away with. The mills contracted out logging to the lowest bidding loggers.

My job here was done away with too. I moved away to work elsewhere.

After years in exile I came back in 2005. My wages had increased, the logging wages stayed at the same or less than in the 1980s. This isn't just due to the doing away with of unions. I can't say that. I think it is a combination of all the above mentioned things.

We saw the race downward start when work that was done by Forest Service crews--precommercial thinning, brush piling, and some tree planting was ordered to be contracted out. The contractors did OK at first, but the bidding competition became fierce and some of the bids were ridiculously low. That's when we started seeing folks from the southern countries on crews, and there were a few incidents of illegals being kept against their will and forced to work, and not paid much if anything.....slavery.

Things have improved a bit. We were told to check for documentation of workers, ask them how much they are paid, etc. Some contracts consider past work quality as a bid item so lowest bid does not guarantee the award of the contract.

Maybe the private business world needs to hit the bottom too before they realize that you get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: Not all private businesses treat their workers badly. Those that have good benefits and wages seem to have a better quality worker.
Good post, that in a nut shell is pretty much what's happening all over the country. These big corporations blame unions when the obvious culprit is greed.

Just found out that one of the guys I went to apprentice school with had a load of iron roll off a truck and kill him. We make too much, no, we don't make enough.

well, there are decent unions and then there is the ILWU with its long history of major Communist influence starting from the top (Harry Bridges) on down.
some basics:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Harry_Bridges

Interestingly enough the ILWU actually had an indirect influence on our POTUS as the union shipped Frank Marshall Davis (CPUSA # 47544) from Chicago (Chicago Star columnist) to HI (paid for everything) to start a new Communist rag (Honolulu Record). He later became BHO's mentor until BHO was 19. Yes, the same 'Frank' in O's book and just mentioned by ex gov Rudy.

The Comintern archives (released by the Soviets in '92) along with finally declassified Venona files, FBI files and sealed Congressional records from the 30s--60s+ released in the early '90s, corroborated pretty much everything the Dies committee and and HCUA came up with on Harry and the ILWU.

There are many books out since the early '90s now that cover all of this. I like Paul Kengor's books along with stuff by Herb Romerstein.

Latest posts

Back