Look at my spark plug!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds funny. You're right. It's broke.

It's back to stock compression btw.

ml, you're lucky this saw is not sporting a sharp square chain.

And this is before I learned how to use the fop.:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWR7td6IdUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWR7td6IdUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My 5100 is still running strong isn't it? And I've cut canyon oak, not like that stuff you cut.

ml, you like to troll, but I know that about you already.

I don't like to see bad advice given on this site, you most likely let you saw scream while not cutting very fast and thats why it's not burnt up yet or your running a dull chain with the rakers to high that doesn't load the engine. Mad Prof has a good method of setting the high where it won't burn up when worked like it should be and I'd follow his advice any day before setting a 5100s at 14200 RPM. Steve

Like I said TROLL, if I had a sharp chain it would be cutting better.

You should know that by now.

BTW, you're right. Bad advice aint good.

They are not called rakers, they are called RIDERS:)

It's back to stock compression btw.

ml, you're lucky this saw is not sporting a sharp square chain.

And this is before I learned how to use the fop.:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWR7td6IdUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWR7td6IdUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Impressive cutting rotten wood. Steve

Hardwood it is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bsg7_jesAME&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bsg7_jesAME&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is that the best you can do?:)

I'm not sure how it can be rotten as it was a Jr sapling and freshly felled:spam:

Let me point out a couple of things to you Troll.

I own a 5100 and you do not. You are only expressing your opinion. Saws have different attitudes, thus different settings. Now when cutting cookies, you should know that one automatically goes leaner for meaner. Cutting long sustained cuts, of course you're going rich. But for a stock 5100 TROLL, he will be OK @ 14,200...

fine tune it. dont just crank the H a 1/2 or 1/8 turn one way or the other

make the adjustment with the saw wot out of the wood screw driver on the H as you hold it pinned asdjust till it slightly burbles. you can fine tune youl hear the burble go away then go richer a hair till it just comes back. this could be an almost unoticable turn on the H.

then test it in the wood. in the cut let off and it should go from no burble to burble then go away when you go back to letn it cut. if it doesnt burble when you let off in the cut set it a smidge richner less then 1/8 turn and try it again.

good luck

Take the plug outside to take the picture. The proximity of the flash is overexposing the insulator. Get the camera to fucus on the plug, not the backgounnd.

All that being said, tuning saws by plug color is sketchy at best...

What John said.

Colour resolution on a lot of digi cams is sketchy at best too, and totally off with a flash.
I'll dig up two photo's taken of the same plug at the same time using natural light. One looks like the engine should have seized, the other pretty well spot on. The actual colour was between the two.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
color between those two looks lean to me, id go richer yet even if it hasnt seized yet

this is the plug out of my 044.

this is about right. though i may slightly nudge the the H alittle richer. i wouldnt not go any lighter or leaner then this, i feel this is likely on the ragged edge.
GEDC1537.jpg

also i switched to premuim fuel and am curious if that little bit of carbon build up goes away.

Thanks for all the replies. The plug looks great and nicely caramel coloured on the outside, but where the electrode is is pretty white it actually looks like a skunk stripe. Try to play nice guys. It is only a darn spark plug. Thanks for the advice Rick. I am still going to get back to you about porting the Dolmar. Jerry, Dolmar does not make any saws that are orange and white. I do not have the Echo anymore. I will still give it some more fuel on the H. The saw is new and has about 20 tanks through it. I only ever used Opti-2 plus mixed at 50:1. I only used the 91 octane high test. I know a lot of you are going to say that 91 is not high test, around here that is as good as it gets. I wish we could get 93 or 94 but 91 is as high as is comes in these parts for some reason. Oh, Jerry do you have a tach?

Thanks for all the replies. The plug looks great and nicely caramel coloured on the outside, but where the electrode is is pretty white it actually looks like a skunk stripe. Try to play nice guys. It is only a darn spark plug. Thanks for the advice Rick. I am still going to get back to you about porting the Dolmar. Jerry, Dolmar does not make any saws that are orange and white. I do not have the Echo anymore. I will still give it some more fuel on the H. The saw is new and has about 20 tanks through it. I only ever used Opti-2 plus mixed at 50:1. I only used the 91 octane high test. I know a lot of you are going to say that 91 is not high test, around here that is as good as it gets. I wish we could get 93 or 94 but 91 is as high as is comes in these parts for some reason. Oh, Jerry do you have a tach?

What do you have for gas stations around there? Husky/Mohawk and Chevron all have 94 octane around here, and I'm in a fairly small town. EVERYONE has 91/92 here though. I buy 92 octane Marked Premium (farm/boat gas) since it's usually 6-8 cents per liter cheaper than Regular, and my saws seem a lot happier with it than 87 octane regular gas.

Chevytown, whatever anyone else says, I can tell that your 5100 is getting plenty of fuel just by listening to the first 5 seconds or so from the second video. You can clearly hear the engine RPMs drop out briefly a couple times due to too much unburnt fuel limiting the RPMs. Once the engine is hot in the cut this effect goes away. That's actually a good video for showing someone what the "burble" or "four-stroking" sounds like while in the cut.

What do you have for gas stations around there? Husky/Mohawk and Chevron all have 94 octane around here, and I'm in a fairly small town. EVERYONE has 91/92 here though. I buy 92 octane Marked Premium (farm/boat gas) since it's usually 6-8 cents per liter cheaper than Regular, and my saws seem a lot happier with it than 87 octane regular gas.

I found the Huskey/Mohawks around all advertised ethanol, so I stayed clear of that, I'm still debating on Shell and Chevron gas I'm using it but I can't find any info whether it contains ethanol or not.

Cool frijoles Morgan:cheers:

Around that time, the saw was probably a stage 1 tuning. And that was also the time that I discovered 4 stroking. Little did I know, if you want four stroking, richen your H. Around that time, I learned to set it at around 14,340's or so.

Here is another video Morgan where the saw was cutting some major farts.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulDyEPb4kGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulDyEPb4kGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ml says it's screaming. Yeah, there is a major reason why it's screaming. Because it's ported. Banging the limiter is my game:jester: If he doesn't know that fact, I wouldn't be listening to him.

Matt, take the picture during the day. The flash might be messing with the hot side. On the cool side of the plug, it appears to be OK.

No worries hometown, when you're ready to port that magical jug, I'm here to help you out the best I can. No fancy stuff, just a straight woods port. I'm paying it forward Bob:clap:

Later.

Matt, did it look similar to this?

DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1006-1.jpg

That's off the 6401 running close the edge off of rich.

Morgan, here is a vid where you can hear the 6401 running rich on the first WOT and the first plunge getting the powerplant up to temperature, thereafter every WOT is firing in 2 stroke mode off the limiter (because it's ported). I richened it a little since then.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZNNXPxss5MU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZNNXPxss5MU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You should invest in a tach bro.

If you don't have one, for now, call around to auto mechanics. Maybe they have a pulse generated digital tach lying around??

Ya that's something that's high up on my tool "want" (need) list too. I just finally got a decent vacuum/bleeder pump for testing seals etc., which I figured was a bit more important at the moment. A tach isn't a complete necessity for me yet, since I don't own any saws new enough to have a rev-limited ignition. I'm fairly comfortable tuning them by ear and cut, and then checking the plug frequently until I find a sweet spot. Were I to start fixing saws for other people on a more serious basis, I'd definitely feel the need to have one around though.

Latest posts

Back