Look what fell across the road....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The neighbor called this morn & said that a tree was blocking the road. I threw the 361 & the 024Super in the truck & hurried over(easy firewood wouldn't last long around here). It was an old standing dead walnut. I had been itching to try out my new(to me) MS361 that i had put a 24" bar & full skip on. Well i wasn't impressed with the 24" bar(i know, but i just had to try it!), but it cut "ok". Halfway along the tree, i see sparks, & the bar cover falls off:dizzy: ? Well, that is a first for me, but i guess i hadn't tightened the nuts enough after cleaning/inspecting the saw. So i just grabbed the Super & finished the job. I then went into town & got a 20" bar & new semi skip chain for the 361, so i will be ready to cut some wood this weekend.
It had been raining like hell all night, but it quit, allowing me to grab the wood. I guess the wood & rain spirits intended me to have a great day!

I call this "Now" wood............"burn it right Now"
firewood001.jpg

RD

Nice load of Walnut.I cut one a bit bigger than that about a month ago.The tops were dry enough to call "Now Wood" but I split the trunk and let it be.I moved it the other day, and it was all checked like seasoned wood!I think that the dark color, along with the absence of bark, let the Sun do its' thing in just a month.I can't afford to be too picky this year.

Good deal man! I know some dont like walnut to burn, but I like it. Lights quick and gives a good bit of heat. Sounds like your part of TN is like mine, firewood easy to get to doesnt last long. I dont know how many times I have spotted something on the way to somewhere, and when I came back a few hours later with a saw it was gone.

Lookin a little soupy there, nice easy wood though, always a good thing.
Having a good neighbor to call you for it must give you a good feeling.

Back