Looking at an Echo today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Meeting a guy today to look at a $100 echo saw. Unable to ID in photo but it is gray and appears to have a good size bar (likely 24"). When I look online at Echo photos it looks like the 440 or 4400? I know next to nothing about Echo saws but a 24" bar on a 40+cc saw does not compute.

I have plenty of saw this will just be something to tinker with.

I got the model number from him and it turned out to be a CS 440-----yuck. Took a pass and didn't even bother to look. I'm seriously wondering if it was really even a 24" bar. Not too interested in a plastic clamshell.

Oh well, gotta keep on the lookout for projects.

I got the model number from him and it turned out to be a CS 440-----yuck. Took a pass and didn't even bother to look. I'm seriously wondering if it was really even a 24" bar. Not too interested in a plastic clamshell.

As we both know, magnesium is the way to go...

The CS-440 is actually a decent saw, one of the better Echo saws made once they went to upright P/C's, and well worth $100 if it's in good shape and no P/C damage. They have good power for the cc's, and will last for many years if you open up the mixture screws to give them the fuel they need, those are pretty lean right out of the box. It's best suited for a 16" bar, will do OK with an 18" bar on it.........Cliff

That's a very decent price for a running CS-440 that does not have any P&C damage. 24" would be way too much bar for it, but I'd view that bar as a bonus (trade, sell, or keep for existing/future saws). If I ran across that deal in my area, I'd pursue it, but I also have a CS-440 parts saw (crapped out P&C, burned through chainbrake band) with a more suitable VG+ condition bar.

Since it isn't what you're looking for, passing on it was wise move.

Latest posts

Back