Looking at the new Huskies at Northern tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckinnc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a good saw to use around the house and field, I use a Poulan Pro now, it runs good but the chain adjustment system is a
terrible system. I found 3 (like new) 235 Huskys on the clearance rack for $100, normally $200. These are as is (running) but no
warranty, good price but it looks like the same chain adjustment system my Poulan has, the type you adjust without a wrench.
They also have factory reconditioned 435s for $170, normally $260. Both seem to pull harder than my pro which is 42cc, the Huskys are 38 & 42 cc. I stopped by TSC and noticed their Husky 235s have the chain adjustment that uses a wrench, I wonder if the 235 at Northern is a cheaper version? Has anyone had any experience with either of these Huskies, I really need to get one before they get gone, if its a good saw.

huskys in general are good saws but toolless = junk
as for pulling harder, use the decompression valve, little blue button on the opposite side of the rewind on the side of the motor usually with a little husky
235 is 235, gunna be the same basic construction, most of those little homeowner saws come with a toolless option
if the bigger one isnt too heavy for you, thats the one i would buy

Please forget the 235/240, they are Poulan made POS, that my dealer refuse to sell!

The 435/440 is much better (made in Sweden), but my dealer isn't really happy with those either - and would at least suggest the 445/450.....

If you are looking specifically at those saws for the deal price then I would go with the 435. Factory reconditioned saws from Husqvarna come with at least a 90 day warranty but double check on these at TSC (if not, stay away). The 435 is a great, fast little saw best kept to light firewood and property cleanup esp good for cleaning up the smaller stuff (although I know of a guy who uses one for firewood and cuts alot. These are light and very manuverable. If you are looking for a firewood saw and doing more trunk work, I would opt for some thing a little bigger. I agree with SawTroll here, the 450 is a great choice here but you would probably be looking at retail price on that model.

...I use a Poulan Pro now, it runs good but the chain adjustment system is a
terrible system....

Which PP are you using? If you're talking about the tool-less chain adjustment, those clutch covers can be swapped for one with with a conventional chain adjuster. My 4620 has the adjuster on the cover, I think Poulan refers to this as QuickAdjust.

But there's nothing wrong with wanting a new/new-to-you chainsaw ;).

As near as I can tell, the 200 series Husky saws are Poulans in orange plastic. You can buy a Wild Thing or a Craftsman and get the exact same saw...choose the color that goes best with what you're wearing so you don't look like an idiot out in the woods.

The 400 series are actually Husqvarna saws. They're made inexpensively and should work just fine for you. Much better saws than the 200 series.

The 300 and 500 series are the semi pro and pro lines. Official Pro saws have the XP suffix in the model number, 300 and 500 series saws without XP are considered semi-pro saws...basically the same saw but the motors aren't as lively as their similarly displaced XP variants...less overall power and lower top end rpm, but still excellent saws.

You want a 400 series saw. Cheap enough that you can afford it, and it'll give you a long life of service. Check your local craigslist, you may find some nice, low hour 455 Ranchers, which wouldbe a great saw for you.

The secret with ANY saw though...doesn't matter if its a $90 Poulan or a $1700 3120XP...take care of it. Keep the chain sharp, the bar straight, the bolts tight and the air filter and motor clean. Skip doing these things and you'll never be happy with any saw.

Which PP are you using? If you're talking about the tool-less chain adjustment, those clutch covers can be swapped for one with with a conventional chain adjuster. My 4620 has the adjuster on the cover, I think Poulan refers to this as QuickAdjust.

But there's nothing wrong with wanting a new/new-to-you chainsaw ;).

Yes I did see a post where someone had a photo of a modified PP chain tensioner, I tried it last night and was back in business today
you could use the old cover, just drill out the plastic on the second hole and throw the plastic wheelnut away and use two 8mm x 1.5mm nuts to hold the bar. It works great so maybe I will continue to use the PP4218.

Yes I did see a post where someone had a photo of a modified PP chain tensioner, I tried it last night and was back in business today
you could use the old cover, just drill out the plastic on the second hole and throw the plastic wheelnut away and use two 8mm x 1.5mm nuts to hold the bar. It works great so maybe I will continue to use the PP4218.

Have you got a link the the post about modifying the chain tensioner? Thanks. I have a couple-of-months-old Husky 235 with the toolless adjuster. I don't like the adjuster but it hasn't actually caused any trouble yet.

I'm not sure that it's exactly the same as a Poulan saw; I think Husky put a better air cleaner on it and maybe made some other small changes besides just painting it orange.

It was only a photo and the guy said he drilled out the 2nd hole

Have you got a link the the post about modifying the chain tensioner? Thanks. I have a couple-of-months-old Husky 235 with the toolless adjuster. I don't like the adjuster but it hasn't actually caused any trouble yet.

I'm not sure that it's exactly the same as a Poulan saw; I think Husky put a better air cleaner on it and maybe made some other small changes besides just painting it orange.

I found the post by searching Poulan Pro 4620 post, I don't remember which one it was but It just showed a photo of where he
used nuts instead of the plastic hand tighted wheel, for the 2nd hole (which had no nut) he used a drill press to drill a large
1" hole thru the plastic to the metal, then he was able to put a nut on that second stud also. On the PP both studs were there
and the 2nd one was covered by the large plastic bar tightner wheel, he just used real nuts inplace of the plastic bar tightner wheel.

Since when did Poulan own Husquvarna? ST, you know better. Husquvarna makes Husquvarna, Jonsered, Poulan, and any body elses saws if they have the cash. Husquvarna chooses what specs to use for their family (Husky, Jonsered, Poulan), except for Craftsman et al, as they choose what specs and price point. Now the other big saw company, and a lot of the smaller ones BTW, puts one name on everything. Different levels of quality, but the same name. Calling one part of a company junk, while praising and extolling the virtues of another part of the same outfit is silly.
I guess what burns me is that the Poulan of old made some decent quality saws, and Husquvarna has chosen to run that name down, down, down, and some here seem to believe that if only the Husky big wigs could convince them stupid Americans to make a better saw, then Poulan would once again have the name it did. As if. Husquvarna has their fingers in much of the OPE world, and is changing it, not necessarily for the better.

If price is such a factor keep an eye out for the yellow Sears Professional 40cc saw. Its the same saw as a Red Max GZ 4000 or Ryobi 40cc. It has the EZ adjust crap bar, but all you need to buy is a cheap bar from Baileys, and the Red Max chain adjuster. I bought a Remanufactured one with a 6 month Warraunty for $99 plus shipping. I took a 16 inch bar off some old top handled Poulan and bought the parts and got a nice little limb saw for less than $150. I put a WP 20 NK chain from Baileys and it rips even better.

Also Sears has a 50 cc saw that from what I can tell is only available on-line from Sears On-line that I have been told is a 350 Husky in Craftsman colors. Might be able to find one of those on closeout.

Back