Looking for 181 SE Clutch Cover Brake Assembly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baconaman

Saw Guru In Training
Reaction score
20171229_214744-picsay.jpg 20171229_214800-picsay.jpgWell, I paid too much once again for a used saw. I went to pick up my 181 from this guy that was supposed to fix the trigger but wanted to replace the whole tank/trigger assembly rather split the handle which told me he was not so much the guru my friend claimed he was. Since he has had it I am confident I can fix it myself. When I got there he said he had just grabbed a 181 from his neighbor that had it in a toolbox in the back of his truck for the past 10 years and was willing to sell and thought I might want it for a parts saw. Well, the thing was practically black it was so dirty but compression was great and it ran great. I should have looked closer and haggled more but I caved. Seems like an obvious thing to notice but when I got it home I found the spark arrestor screen had been removed on the right side of the muffler - more or less ripped out. Weyerhaeuser would ban me from their land if they found me using that saw while getting wood. I did notice that there was no chain brake but I didn't notice that the clutch cover had been cut diagonally along the inner support so instead of just getting the brake I really need to get the whole cover. I'll attach photos of the cover if I can. So.................................... I'm looking for a recommendation on a muffler and for a used clutch cover brake assembly. I get the impression that the cover on the 281 will fit as well. There is a guy on ebay who has one for 55 plus 17 for shipping but it seems a bit high. I can get an aftermarket one for just under 100 that is decently rated, a Chinese unrated one for half the price of the ebay guy, and another aftermarket one from GB that is new for about the same. Ideas? Parts? Scoldings?

Well Dahmer,

I checked this site last night and again just now just in case but whenever I find a part I am interested in it says "out of stock". I must have looked at 12 different parts and all of them were "out of stock". I've never purchased anything from them before so I am not sure if there is a way to see only in stock items.

Yep, out of stock, sorry. I just saw them, never checked further. You have to keep checking, you never know what and when with them.

You can ask Scott if he might have the part you need but he hasn`t gotten around to listing it. Go to his site and look up on the right hand side,very top and you will see a , request part window, click on it and fill out the form that pop up. I have purchased a lot of parts from his site and contact him if I can`t find a part listed. It takes a lot of time and effort pulling parts and keeping the list up to date.

You can ask Scott if he might have the part you need but he hasn`t gotten around to listing it. Go to his site and look up on the right hand side,very top and you will see a , request part window, click on it and fill out the form that pop up. I have purchased a lot of parts from his site and contact him if I can`t find a part listed. It takes a lot of time and effort pulling parts and keeping the list up to date.
Good info to have, never realized what that was for.

Thanks for the heads up! I've wanted to try one of their aftermarket items so it has been ordered. I'm not trying to restore anything to its former glory, this saw has nothing that matches even if the parts are original. I did search Baileys last night but their site was not working for some reason. I'm glad you brought it up because I had forgotten to return.

I got a Bailey's one on sale, rather nice part.
Does it have an "M" in a circle in the casting on the inside? Indicating it is made frim magnesium. Some of them from overseas are made from magnesium and marked as such.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

No "M" in circle
K. Ty. Must be aluminum.

Btw, get a clutch cover decal from Joe for it. Scrape that stupid sticker of the AM cover. That silver decal they have in those covers is dumb. I'd rather have nothing than that.

Ebay auction 253319434923...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I wanted something that looked better than a stack of washers under the bar nuts. The cover will not work nice with full wrap. Got a handle bar coming from HL.

I wanted something that looked better than a stack of washers under the bar nuts. The cover will not work nice with full wrap. Got a handle bar coming from HL.

Marco, are you saying my full wrap handle will not work with the part that is on the way? Maybe that was the reason this saw came with the cover cut down the diagonal.

Got both my baileys side covers... I dont trust AM plastic, too brittle IMHO in cold weather.. so with that I swapped the AM handle and AM plastic plate that covers the spring mechanism.

I used the AM cover, AM brake band, AM spring mechanism.

Took OEM handle off of a NOS cover
Took OEM inner cover off of a NOS cover that covers the spring mechanism

Everything swapped without issue.. BUT the 2 x handle washer "halves" were not swappable. I had to use the AM halves due to the size of the pass through hole on the AM cover compared to OEM hole size. The screws that hold the internal spring mechanism cover are much "finer" thread than OEM.. I prefer coarse threads in stuff like aluminum or magnesium.

One of the holes that hold the inner plastic cover "stripped out". I assume the carbon based life-form (dont want to offend anyone) stripped it by tightening to tight. I just put a ton of medium loctite on the "finer" thread screw and put it back in and stopped when it stopped. bummer it ended up here like that though.
741103eac0267c26ff375d79a84f6416.jpg
8a2946cf3ae9eff307f16ae746ba7c4a.jpg
ef800275178dc8fd142397f63523220a.jpg

Back