Looking for a 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throwback Man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 346XP was either spotted and stolen out of truck or bounced out of the back of my truck yesterday and found a new home! A bad feeling to get to where you're going and reach for a saw and it is gone. I just bought her last fall and am extremely bummed out. I looked and looked, but she is gone. $466 down the ####ter.

I am in the market for a replacement to run a 16-18" bar. I have a Jonsered 2172 for felling and bucking, so this saw would be for small limbing, clearing fallen elms off trails, fence lines etc. I see Stihl has their new MS261 out -I sold my 260 before buying the 346XP. I have been looking at the Makita made by Dolmar, but am I going to regret saving money for quality or will I be delighted with a great saw that will cost me a lot less than a 261 or a 346XP? I would love some advice on a saw that will be fast, light, and reliable. Thanks guys.

The three top 50cc saws are all good, but it's hard to beat the 346xp. I have over 10 years on my old one and like it so much, I bought another.
:cheers:

I don't think that you'd regret buying a Dolmar 5100s or 5105. It's a great saw.
I think you'd be disappointed with the 510 after having a 346. (I'm assuming that's the Makita you're talking about.)
If you doubt me at all, just get another 346 and forget anything ever happened.

Last edited:
Did you not like your 346? If you liked it I would assume you would get another for repalcement.

I don't think that you'd regret buying a Dolmar 5100s or 5105. It's a great saw.
I think you'd be disappointed with the 510 after having a 346. (I'm assuming that's the Makita you're talking about.)

You could also get the 5105 as a Makita, think it´s called the Makita DCS 5001 or 5030. Both have the same specs as the Dolmar 5105.
Don´t know what the US price tag is for those though!

Last edited:
I'd probably get another 346, there isn't anything that quite matches it. A tool box to keep it in under lock and key is a good idea. Leaving a saw like that out for the taking is too much of a temptation for some unscrupulous people.:msp_sad:

Stihl 261, Husky 246 and Dolmar/Makita 5105 are all good saws and I don't think you would be disappointed with any choice made.

MS261....and a lock box, like the other guy said...

If you doubt me at all, just get another 346 and forget anything ever happened.

I tend to agree with Brian here. Any of those saws (346, 261 and 5100) are great saws, but we all have our prefrences. If you loved your 346, chances are there will be things about a 5100 you wont like.

If you are talking about the 510 then yes, you'll definitely see a downgrade between it and the 346. Its a consumer grade (albeit a quality consumer grade) and not on par with the other 3 mentioned.

You're probably in the minority of those who this would affect though, Brad. I mean if you're not modifying the saw, is there a real harm in a coil limiter?

It shouldn't affect anything, especially if your a work saw builder. I just seen a Dolmar 510 with a ported 5100 cylinder on it cut one second flat in 8x8 with the limited coil. I like a unlimited coil for tuning but I have since learned to be a bit more comfortable with tuning a limited saw.

You're probably in the minority of those who this would affect though, Brad. I mean if you're not modifying the saw, is there a real harm in a coil limiter?

My only real "problem" with the 5100S is that it doesn't handle like a 50cc saw should, and I believe the MS261 is even worse in that regard!

A 346xp is totally different! :msp_smile:

My only real "problem" with the 5100S is that it doesn't handle like a 50cc saw should, and I believe the MS261 is even worse in that regard!

A 346xp is totally different! :msp_smile:

I had a ne 346 and got rid of it because I thought the oe handled better. Now Im getting rid of that for a 261. SO I think is a matter of preference and all 3 saws mentioned will cut fast and handle decent. to the OP I see you 1 hr north of me. If you wanna try a oe 346 and 261 PM me and you can come down and test them.

Latest posts

Back