Looking for a decent Chainsaw sharpener?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOE.G

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for a decent chainsaw sharpener, I am a home owner with a lot of land, I use my saws often but not professionally. I do them by hand now but would like a electric one. I have no idea what I am looking for or at, Is there one that can do different blades easily? Thank you

Hand filing is faster and gives a better cutting edge. I had an electric grinder for years, as my hand filing sucked. I finally figured it out and sold the grinder. If you are hand filing, you are there. Don't go backwards and buy a grinder.

The only time a grinder is superior is if you seriously find nails or rock the chain hard. I'm at the point of tossing such chains.

X2 on the Harbor Freight sharpener. I don't say I am the best but I sharpen up when the saw doesn't want to cut well . Sharp chain and the saw digs into the wood that's all I need.

The Tecomec /Oregon 620 (they are the same)grinders are good for really badly damaged chain especially with a CBN wheel.
Otherwise the best sharpeners are on the ends of your arms

I've hand filed for a lot of years but recently got a Granberg file-n-joint file guide. It works really well for me keeping the angle of the cutters consistent left to right. It's really easy to bring a chain back after it's hit rocks and you don't waste as much metal or risk burning it.
Very happy.

I run a few different size/ pitch chains, Most of my saws are in my signature.How do I determine what size file I should use and the pitch/Degree I should be filing at? I am using files and advice on angle I received years ago. My chains seem good and cut well but, The electric grinder would be for once in a while use on bad chains. I do run mostly Stihl chains.

I'm using the Strongway grinder from Northern Tool.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200696949_200696949The one I have is a couple of years old and is slightly different from the current model. It's not a $500 Oregon grinder, but I think it's better than the Harbor Freight grinder. For my sharpening needs, to replace them at $20 per loop, it has already paid for itself.

Does the stihl 2 in 1 have interchangeable files to cover all of my chains or do i need ones for each?

Decent grinder for someone just starting out. Clone of an Oregon 511AX. Upgrade the wheels to something a little bit better over time and it’ll work better yet. I don’t get too far from the truck so when one gets dull I just grab another saw. And then I can sharpen them when I’m in the garage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232688563647

Back