looking for a long lasting saw, maybe used.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Workman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to this industry i am a harry home owner type.. I am looking for a saw for around 5-600 that will last, so dont want homeowner line of saws. I am cutting hard woods like oak, walnut, birch etc.. many are over 30". I am not gonna be working 12 days 7 days a week so weight isnt that big of deal for me. I am 6' 225 average and fairly fit... so i can handle a bit of weight.. been carrying heavy rucksacks all over afghanistan is it is no biggie for me.

any way was think of a husky 555 but i see a 044 and a 575 xp on the used boards.. what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

and i posted this in the trading post as well

262 XP, power to weight ratio is almost untouchable, dead reliable, simple and easy to work on, parts are cheap(ish), will run a 20" bar all day with full comp and a 24" with skip tooth, runs at 13,500 RPM's (impressive even by todays standards) and is new enough to have the better spring anti-vibe.

Joe

Buy the best saw that you can reasonably afford.

And just a tip. A homeowner quality saw will last just as long as a "pro-saw" will......as long as it's properly maintained. It really is just that simple. Chainsaws tend to get used and abused. As in ignored.

Many users just fuel and oil um and don't sweat anything, until something goes bad or breaks. Use E-Free gas if at all possible and full-synth. oil as mix. Keep the chain sharp and keep extra spark plugs on hand. I do so for air filters as well.

I keep mine clean.....as in extremely clean. I can do that cause I don't cut for a living, so I have the time, energy, and the will to do so. Clean saws perform better than dirty ones do.

You may or may not know all this already. If you do, then you're just a step ahead in the game.

Oh and by the way. THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! :clap:

thanks for the info guys, i am still debating what i am gonna get..

thanks for the tips 2123; I like your hat... 2nd503rd 173rd

Among the "homeowner" saws, the Stihls are on the extreme end of "difficult to service". No apparent good reason.

If you compare some new Dolmars to Stihls, a pro-quality Dolmar can be for about the same as a "homeowner" Stihl. Over the range of 40-60 cc, and maybe beyond.

For $600 you could get 2 Poulan 5200's and still have money left over. With 85 cc's they will pull a 30" bar, Put a 20" on one and leave a 30" on the other. Problem solved...

Dolmar 7900. You can find a very nice used one for that price, and they will pull a 28" bar without even breaking a sweat. I have a 440 Stihl and it's a complete turd compared to my 7900...

"hard woods ... many are over 30"." As they say in many circles, there is no replacement for displacement. One saw - at least 70cc. Two saws - one 60cc or less and one more than 70cc.
Ron

Latest posts

Back