• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Looking for a mid 70-80cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After running a ported 7900, I picked up a stock one locally, and I was pretty disappointed. Compression was a little low, so I put a new ring in it and promptly sent it down the road... Don't know about the 7910, though.
So have you ran the 7900 in stock form and the 7910 in stock form, an how did they compare, that's all I was wondering :)
Since I've never ran a stock 7900 I was curious, I hear a lot of chatter, but it's usually people saying what they've heard or specs, I like to hear from folks who have had both or ran both side by side as that helps to separate the facts from the fiction that seems to be prevalent in the specs.

After running a ported 7900, I picked up a stock one locally, and I was pretty disappointed. Compression was a little low, so I put a new ring in it and promptly sent it down the road... Don't know about the 7910, though.
Thanks. I like running all my 7910's, just have to grab the right one.
Did a bunch of firewood cutting a couple weeks ago with my BIL and figured I'd grab the stock one and run a few tanks thru it if the opportunity arose (I brought other saws too). I ran the others and then we got to a large multi spar red oak and the land owner asked if I could take it down, sure I can, out comes the stock 7910 with a 28 and an almost new Oregon chain. I was cutting about chest high and was having a heck of a time and wasn't sure what the problem was as I was having to wind her up pretty good before starting the cut which hasn't been an issue before. I finished up the red oak and tossed a chain, anyway I pulled the clutch cover to realize I had an 8 pin on it :omg::dumb::lol:. It would have been fine with a 7 as the chain was fresh and the wood green, but it wasn't liking the 8. At that point I would have done better with the ported 440 and a 7 pin, but I only had a 20 on it.

The 7900 DOES NOT have an unlimited coil. As far as I know, the 7900 coil was limited to 13,500 and the 7910 coil is limited to 12,900. The stock 7900 coil is perfectly adequate for just about any saw, other than (maybe) a really hot port job where you need to tune the saw higher than that in the cut... my MMWS 7900 ran just fine with the stock coil. I guess tuning it with a tach is out, but tuning in the cut is pretty simple to do.

I wish I still had it, but the Solo/7910 hybrid with (unlimited) 272xp coil that replaced it runs pretty damn good, too.

yes, I was also interested in the difference in the two saws ae: 7900/7910 the post came from a prior post from a (new member ) o_O called @SawTroll ...however I guess it should not be taken as the (gospel) I suppose ............ I main idea Is there is not a (LOT) of difference in the two saws...also in good running in stock form the 7 series dolmar's/kita will more than likely never hit the 12,500/13,500 rpm in the cut ...so In effect same as unlimited...

You won’t notice any difference between a 7900 and 7910. The miliseconds that one might have over the other become a wash once you aren’t running two identical new chains. Learn how to sharpen your chain better and you can be faster with either saw.

You won’t notice any difference between a 7900 and 7910. The miliseconds that one might have over the other become a wash once you aren’t running two identical new chains. Learn how to sharpen your chain better and you can be faster with either saw.
Once again is this based on experience.
Inquiring minds want to know :yes:.
Who you talking to.

Once again is this based on experience.
Inquiring minds want to know :yes:.
Who you talking to.

I have run both, stock. Not back to back, not in the same log, not with the same bar/chain. Unless you have someone who has both saws at the same time, you won’t get a definitive answer. But I didn’t feel one was better than another, just that both were stronger than my 372xpw (which I know very well) in big wood.

I have run both, stock. Not back to back, not in the same log, not with the same bar/chain. Unless you have someone who has both saws at the same time, you won’t get a definitive answer. But I didn’t feel one was better than another, just that both were stronger than my 372xpw (which I know very well) in big wood.
That's cool.
It is amazing how one saw will feel faster than another, but then you run them side by side or time them and the truth comes out.
If you change any of the variables you can have very different results just as you stated.
I usually just buy them all and then find out myself, just haven't had a 7900, yet ;).

So have you ran the 7900 in stock form and the 7910 in stock form, an how did they compare, that's all I was wondering :)
Since I've never ran a stock 7900 I was curious, I hear a lot of chatter, but it's usually people saying what they've heard or specs, I like to hear from folks who have had both or ran both side by side as that helps to separate the facts from the fiction that seems to be prevalent in the specs.

I too have never ran them side-by-side, but both saws I have ran. Never ran the 7900 in serious wood though, so I can't give you a full analysis. I tried for several months to scare up a good used 7900 to buy here, but no one wants to sell them, or they want about $50-$100 less than new. If I could have found one at a reasonable price, I'd have brought it home.
I'm trying to convince my friend to get off that Stihl affinity and buy a new 7910.:blob2: I think he really likes my saw, but doesn't want to say it. :lol:

yes, I was also interested in the difference in the two saws ae: 7900/7910 the post came from a prior post from a (new member ) o_O called @SawTroll ...however I guess it should not be taken as the (gospel) I suppose ............ I main idea Is there is not a (LOT) of difference in the two saws...also in good running in stock form the 7 series dolmar's/kita will more than likely never hit the 12,500/13,500 rpm in the cut ...so In effect same as unlimited...

According to the specs there was quite a drop (about .5 hp) in power specs from the 7900 to 7910, which was a logical result of the changed exhaust system.
I'm sure that some people has found a way around this though?

I have heard rumors of a factory unlimited coil on some European saws, but I've never seen one, and they are not available here... maybe they are standard on 7900s in Norway? Doesn't matter to me, as my ported one with a modded carb didn't need a to rev higher than 13,500... and I don't tune my saw with a tach at WOT.

Just want to give a thank you to all the responses i recieved on this forum, i was able to find a saw within the criteria i was asking, this forum is a very valuable tool and also a great place to read and enjoy every aspect of chainsaws, thanks again guys

Back