Looking for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I do stump grinding and frequently have to cut stumps down. Since I need to go so close to the ground, my chainsaws take a beating and just lost my third one in 3 years, a makita 6400. Anyone have any suggestions on a good reliable saw that will withstand stumps. I was thinking of the Husqvarna 562XP. Any thoughts?

There is NO chainsaw that will hold up to stump grinding.

If you are gonna grind stumps..you need to buy a stump grinder or rent one.

By using a chainsaw and eating chains left and right..and killing chainsaws..

It sounds like you're just throwing good $$ after bad. JMHO..

No way I'd buy a new Husky 562XP and take it to grind stumps..but it's your $$
:cheers:
J2F

Stump grinding saw

I have several stump grinders. I use the saws to bring the stumps lower to the grade so there is less togrind. Sorry, I probably wrote that badly. I'm just looking for a relieble saw.

The 562XP would live a poor, tortured life doing that. I think that you need something that is tough and powerful, but it doesn't sound like you need the typical luxuries that your typical chainsaw pro needs. There may be others that come up with better recommendation than I can, but I'm thinking a used Stihl MS 660/066. Doesn't have to those two necessarily, but something bigger than 70cc's I'm thinking. That will cut through a big thick stump and take a beating too. You may also want to go with a carbide saw chain, like the type they use to cut railroad ties.

I have several stump grinders. I use the saws to bring the stumps lower to the grade so there is less to grind. Sorry, I probably wrote that badly. I'm just looking for a reliable saw.
Thanks for the reply..After I posted I was afraid I didn't understand..and came off as a smart-ass.

I guess my best suggestion would be to buy the rental Makita's at Home Depot when they sell 'em.

About $250 and you can replace the top end easily or go to a big bore P/C if you should want to.

What is happening to your saws that is making them.."die" or "gone through"..??
:cheers:..(we're about the same age..I got ya by a few years..lol..:msp_wink:)
J2F

if you want a saw to go to hell and back your going to have to pay for a stihl a 460/046 or a 660/066 . stihl is made for that kinda stuff but yes what your doing is hard on the saw . but stihl is the way to go yes will cut a tad and i mean a tad slow but that dosent matter .. gl

I've got a 385 and handled being run by a logger 6+ months real tough saws. But as said you'll want something easy to grab. The 066's are easily found and parts available not a bad choice.

Husky 394/5 or stihl 066/660. I wouldn't want to try to stump with a 60cc saw unless the stumps are always under 20".

if you want a saw to go to hell and back your going to have to pay for a stihl a 460/046 or a 660/066 . stihl is made for that kinda stuff but yes what your doing is hard on the saw . but stihl is the way to go yes will cut a tad and i mean a tad slow but that dosent matter .. gl

Your fan-boy support is getting old and really shows your lack of knowledge.

Thanks for the reply..After I posted I was afraid I didn't understand since I am a dumb-ass.

I guess my best suggestion would be to buy the rental Makita's at Home Depot when they sell 'em.

About $250 and you can replace the top end easily or go to a big bore P/C if you should want to.

What is happening to your saws that is making them.."die" or "gone through"..??
:cheers:..(we're about the same age..I got ya by a few years..lol..:msp_wink:)
J2F

fixed,,:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:
sorry I couldn't resist

Well you said any thoughts. A hydraulic chain saw, that is one powered by hydraulic fluid under pressure. There are a few for cutting wood, some of the ones for cutting concrete go up to 20 hp. They seem to like 2000 psi, my ag tractor is around 2800 not sure how one would work for me I see at construction auctions the power unit and one or two concrete cutting devices seem to go a little less than $2000.

What you have might not be too bad, one a year Do they die from dirt in the air intake. Did you see the air filter on that fuel injected stihl demo saw the guy showed what was inside one of them perhaps last month?

Fran

Big saw for stumping... 390/395 or 460/660 depending on your preference of flavor.

Use a lot of wedges, a lot, and take a powerful leaf blower with you and blow away as much dirt as possible before you start cutting. Or even a gas engine power washer and roll a water tank to the stump to feed it.

I cut stumps flush when I have to, and usually just use an axe and broom first on that last lower cut below my felling cut areas. I quick whack the bark off and expose clean wood, man that helps. I dont do a lot of big trees, but with a little pre cleaning and using wedges, it goes much easier. IF I had to do a lot for a job, every day every day, etc. I would use the additional power equipment I mentioned first, plus a lot of wedges.

As to an actual dedicated stump cutting saw, how about one of those you stand up and have both hands on handle bar saws? Husky makes a modern one, and the rooskies have one too. It pivots. Pretty snazzy looking. You are standing up, the saw is down there, you twist it into the cut.

Here is the husky version, model 365H, via husky /russia and google translate (click on "translating..." if it doesnt open correctly)

Google Translate

My MS660 was used for one season for root cutting with a carbide chain, it survived looking like it was 10 years old. I wouldn't use anything less. It is now my bucking saw, love it!

Back